Windows 10: Just tapping "Use original boot configuration" breaks the whole Win 11 installation

Discus and support Just tapping "Use original boot configuration" breaks the whole Win 11 installation in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I just checked and unchecked the "Use original boot configuration" checkbox in msconfig and applied changes.This resulted in Windows 11 being unable to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by OndřejÁč, Jul 25, 2024.

1. Just tapping "Use original boot configuration" breaks the whole Win 11 installation

I just checked and unchecked the "Use original boot configuration" checkbox in msconfig and applied changes.This resulted in Windows 11 being unable to boot, with instant BSOD 0x0000225 after starting the PC.Neither F1, F8 or any other option on the BSOD works, just flashes the screen black for fraction of a second.However there appeared a "F9 Boot into different OS" option, which after selecting, all of sudden shows option to boot either into Windows 10 or Windows 11 Just to make clear, I DIDNT HAVE WINDOWS 10 INSTALLED BEFORE.Selecting the Win 10 option does sucesfully boot into the Window

:)

OndřejÁč, Jul 25, 2024

2. Can't boot Windows 10 in Normal Startup, Use original boot configuration not working

Your suggestion did not work under the version of Windows 10 I am using. Trying to upgrade to latest version of windows 10, but it fails to install due to a mismatch in a system configuration not described.

I used "Safe Mode" to scan for viruses and malware but found none. After safe mode I cannot reset the boot so that Windows will revert back to NORMAL mode. Never had this problem before. Followed several suggestions. None worked.

HELP.

Gene Truelove, Software Engineer at *** Email address is removed for privacy *** 919-795-3053/919-552-3180

NanetteTruelove, Jul 26, 2024
  3. Can't boot Windows 10 in Normal Startup, Use original boot configuration not working

Hi Nkuma,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and your effort towards resolving it.

Follow the below steps enable the Use original boot configuration:

• Press Windows + R keys from the Keyboard.
    • Type msconfig and hit Enter.
    • Click on the Boot tab.
    • Under Boot options check mark on the Safe mode.
    • Select the General tab.
    • You can see that the Selective startup option will be selected and the
      Use original boot configuration will be enabled.
    Follow the below steps to enable the Normal startup:

• Press Windows + R keys from the Keyboard.
    • Type msconfig and hit Enter.
    • Click on the General tab.
    • Select the Normal startup option.
    • Click on Apply and Ok.
    • Restart the system and check.
    Reference: Refer to the following Microsoft article on
    Using System Configuration (msconfig).

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/using-system-configuration#1TC=windows-8

Note: The steps for Windows 8.1 applies to Windows 10.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Jul 26, 2024
  4. dmccoy Win User

Just tapping "Use original boot configuration" breaks the whole Win 11 installation

Nvidia driver problem with 940 MX on Windows 10 x64

I would only go back to the driver from the computers manufacturers if you experience any issues with the latest drivers from devie manufacturers.

If everything is still working well with the clean boot then you can start troubleshooting as follows to start:

How to determine what is causing the problem after you do a clean boot

1. Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrator rights.
    2. From Start, search for msconfig. (In Windows 10, use the Search box from the Start menu. In Windows 8 or 8.1, swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. Or, if you are using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, and then click Search.)
    3. Select msconfig or System Configuration from the search results.
    4. Tap or click the Services tab, and then tap or click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box.
    5. Tap or click to select the upper half of the check boxes in the Service list.
    6. Tap or click OK, and then tap or click Restart.
    7. After the computer finishes restarting, determine whether the problem still occurs.
    • If the problem still occurs, repeat steps 1 through 6, but clear the lower half of the check boxes in the Service list that you originally selected.
    • If the problem does not occur, repeat steps 1 through 6, and select only the upper half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the Service list. Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.
    • If you still experience the problem when only one service is selected in the Service list, this means that the selected service causes the problem, and you should go to step 11. If no service causes the problem, go to step 8.
    8. Repeat steps 1 and 3 in this section.
    9. Tap or click the Startup tab, and then tap or click to select the upper half of the check boxes in the Startup Item list.
    10. Click OK, and then click Restart.
    • If the problem still occurs, repeat steps 8 and 9, but clear the lower half of the checked boxes in the Startup Item list that you originally selected.
    • If the problem does not occur, repeat steps 8 and 9, and select only the upper half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the Startup Item list. Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.
    • If you still experience the problem after only one Startup Item is selected in the Startup Item list, this means that the selected Startup Item causes the problem, and you should go to step 11. If no Startup Item causes this problem, a Microsoft service probably causes the problem. To determine which Microsoft service may be causing the problem, repeat steps 1 through 7 without selecting the Hide all Microsoft services check box in each step.
    11. After you determine the startup item or the service that causes the problem, contact the program manufacturer to determine whether the problem can be resolved. Or, run the System Configuration utility, and then tap or click to clear the check box for the problem item.
    From <https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows>

dmccoy, Jul 26, 2024
Thema:

Just tapping "Use original boot configuration" breaks the whole Win 11 installation

1. Just tapping "Use original boot configuration" breaks the whole Win 11 installation - Similar Threads - tapping original boot

2. Just tapping "Use original boot configuration" breaks the whole Win 11 installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Just tapping "Use original boot configuration" breaks the whole Win 11 installation: I just checked and unchecked the "Use original boot configuration" checkbox in msconfig and applied changes.This resulted in Windows 11 being unable to boot, with instant BSOD 0x0000225 after starting the PC.Neither F1, F8 or any other option on the BSOD works, just flashes...
  3. System configuration cannot save the original boot configuration for later restoration....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System configuration cannot save the original boot configuration for later restoration....: I was busy for the last few months and didn't get any time to update my Windows. Now I'm trying to update the windows but it showed me this message "YOUR DEVICE IS MISSING SOME IMPORTANT SECURITY AND QUALITY FIXES". I tried to download the update and it got downloaded but...
  4. System Configuration cannot save the original boot configuration

in Windows 10 News
    System Configuration cannot save the original boot configuration: [ATTACH]If you are seeing System Configuration cannot save the original boot configuration for later restoration, Boot Changes will be reverted, The handle is invalid error, then in this guide, we have a few solutions that are sure to help you fix the issue on your Windows 11...
  5. System Configuration cannot save the original boot configuration for later restoration....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Configuration cannot save the original boot configuration for later restoration....: HiTried to enable multi cpu core on boot so I opened msconfig and after I select 10 cores and press ok I get this message:System Configuration cannot save the original boot configuration for later restoration. Boot changes will be reverted. The handle is invalid. How to save...
  6. System Configuration cannot save the original boot configuration for later restoration....

in Windows 10 Customization
    System Configuration cannot save the original boot configuration for later restoration....: HiTried to enable multi cpu core on boot so I opened msconfig and after I select 10 cores and press ok I get this message:System Configuration cannot save the original boot configuration for later restoration. Boot changes will be reverted. The handle is invalid. How to save...
  7. What does the "Use original boot configuration" do?

What does the "Use original boot configuration" do?: Under "General" in System Configuration, It is unticked by default to me.I want to know what it does and if I should enable it or leave it as is.Here is the image....
  8. Can't boot Windows 10 in Normal Startup, Use original boot configuration not working

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't boot Windows 10 in Normal Startup, Use original boot configuration not working: i checked the steps mentioned in you site but these steps are not working for me, Windows 10 pro 64 bit seems to revert back to Selective StartUp. My disc is always running at 100% .if i click Normal StartUp if apply does not become active.I also could not change from...
  9. Unable to select: - "Use original boot configuration" in System Configuration

Unable to select: - "Use original boot configuration" in System Configuration: After installing Windows 10 Version 2004 Build 19041.450 on my HP 15-ba079sa Notebook, whenever I access the System Configuration Manager, I see that only the Selective startup option is available with no tick in "Use original boot configuration" Box. But, when I select the...
  10. MSCONFIG "system configuration cannot save the original boot configuration" Error

MSCONFIG "system configuration cannot save the original boot configuration" Error: Hello, I am trying to use MSCONFIG to set the number of cores and maximum amount of ram on my Windows 10 PC. Every time I enter MSCONFIG by; 1) Pressing the Windows Button on my keyboard while holding "r" at the same time 2) Typing "msconfig" into the search bar [ATTACH]...