Windows 10: Issue partitioning drive

Discus and support Issue partitioning drive in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a 255GB GPT Drive I need to partition 20gb in for Windows 7. I have 40gb of the 255 avaliable and yet I can only partition 2910 mb. Please help... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Mastercheif4817, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Issue partitioning drive

I have a 255GB GPT Drive I need to partition 20gb in for Windows 7. I have 40gb of the 255 avaliable and yet I can only partition 2910 mb. Please help

submitted by /u/Mastercheif4817
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Mastercheif4817, Mar 16, 2021
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Mar 16, 2021
  3. Dia01 Win User
    Partition or multiple hard drives?

As the title suggests. Is it worth installing say a 36GB drive for the OS soley or partitioning an existing larger drive with either 2 or more partitions? I am currently running Vista 32bit and want to try out 64bit and am sick of reformatting the whole drive. Any suggestions?

Dia01, Mar 16, 2021
  4. Mala_S Win User

Issue partitioning drive

Clean Install Windows 10 partition issue

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I appreciate the troubleshooting steps performed to resolve the issue. However, let’s try with the further troubleshooting steps and see if it works. Initially, I would suggest you to create a bootable media with a USB/Flash drive of capacity 8GB.
    For better understanding, you may watch the video with the procedure from the article on
    How to Clean Install Windows 10 on a PC Step-by-Step
    Guide

Set the boot priority to USB once after creating a bootable media using a USB and proceed with the Windows Installation. On the drive selection window, press Shift + F10 keys to open the Command Prompt. Then follow the steps listed
    below:

• Type the following command in the Command Prompt window and press Enter:
      diskpart
    • Once after executing the above command, type the following command to list the current drives and press Enter:
      list disk
    • List disk will give you the list of drives, use the following command to select the drive and press Enter: select disk 0
    • Type the following command to check if the disk is online: online disk
      (if the disk is not online)
    • Type the following command to clean the drive and press Enter:
      clean
    • To create a partition, type the following command and press Enter:
      create partition primary
    • To select the partition that you created, type the following command and press Enter:
      select partition 1
    • To set the partition active, type the following command and press Enter:
      active (if this is the boot partition)
    • Type the following command to assign a drive letter and press Enter:
      assign letter(letter)
    • After completing all this, close the command prompt screen and click on
      refresh button.
    • Then you will only have one drive with “unallocated space”, just select the partition to start the installation.

Let us know how it goes and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, Mar 16, 2021
Thema:

Issue partitioning drive

1. Issue partitioning drive - Similar Threads - Issue partitioning drive

2. Hard drive partition issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard drive partition issue: It started with my E: partition which was the primary partition on my secondary hard drive. It was working fine while I was using the computer. When I went to play a game that was stored there Steam told me I had to re-download the game. I checked Explorer and it was there. I...
  3. Hard drive partition issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive partition issue: It started with my E: partition which was the primary partition on my secondary hard drive. It was working fine while I was using the computer. When I went to play a game that was stored there Steam told me I had to re-download the game. I checked Explorer and it was there. I...
  4. Hard drive partition issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Drive partition issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drive partition issue: When I rebuilt my computer, I partitioned my main hard drive into two volumes because I wanted to install a fresh version of windows on a new partition without yet deleting all my old files. So my old windows and all other files went to the partition labeled D: and my fresh...
  6. Drive partition issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drive partition issue: When I rebuilt my computer, I partitioned my main hard drive into two volumes because I wanted to install a fresh version of windows on a new partition without yet deleting all my old files. So my old windows and all other files went to the partition labeled D: and my fresh...
  7. Drive partition issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. system drive partitioning issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    system drive partitioning issue: I’m trying to shrink the volume of my main C drive by 50 GB (90GB available) but when I open up the shrink dialog it says 700MB free to shrink. I’ve looked online and found that you have to disable a bunch of windows security which I don’t feel comfortable doing, so I’m...
  9. partition drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    partition drive: is there a windo store I can take my computer to get it fixed my prob is, my computer crashed but I was able to put it all on the partition drive, but I cant open it up so if I was able to take it to a store how much would it cost...
  10. D Drive Partition Issues

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    D Drive Partition Issues: When is this problem going to be resolved? Enough already https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/d-drive-partition-issues/d310fb65-7dad-4e23-8fb1-308e0328435c