Windows 10: Is my drive dying?

Discus and support Is my drive dying? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi all, I've had this flash drive for probably 15 years now, but it hasn't been used much. I'm now using it to store information pertaining to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by rcavanaugh, Oct 21, 2024 at 11:17 PM.

1. Is my drive dying?

Hi all, I've had this flash drive for probably 15 years now, but it hasn't been used much. I'm now using it to store information pertaining to the organization I belong to, but it has displayed some strange behavior. Often it will take a long time to respond. For instance, I'll copy a file to it, and given the size of said file, it should be copied almost instantly. Instead, the process hangs at 0% complete for a couple minutes, then suddenly does what it's supposed to. What could be the problem?

:)

2. xLtdEspVx Win User

Is my hard-drive dying?

My acer aspire 5600U all in one PC has been acting up for a while now, for the ever since I updated to windows 8.1 years ago my computers hard drive has failed to recover from 100% disc usage...

With the picture provided would any of you assume the drives dying ?

If so, would It be wise to try and replace the hard drive with say-- an SSD in order improve performance? I'm just curious if this is even possible with it being an all in one system.. then again... its all possible with the know-how.

Any other suggestions?
    Is my drive dying? [​IMG]

3. Ken Blake Win User

Is my drive dying?

Dying Hard Drive?

See your other replies, and also note the following:

If it really is dying, no, there's no way to fix it. You need to replace it, and you should do so as soon as possible, so you can copy what's on it to the new drive while the old one is still working.

Thema:

Is my drive dying?

1. Is my drive dying? - Similar Threads - drive dying

2. Is my drive dying?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is my drive dying?: Hi all, I've had this flash drive for probably 15 years now, but it hasn't been used much. I'm now using it to store information pertaining to the organization I belong to, but it has displayed some strange behavior. Often it will take a long time to respond. For instance,...
  3. If a hard drives "critical process died", does the data die with it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If a hard drives "critical process died", does the data die with it?: If a hard drives "critical process died", does the data die with it? That's all I really wanna know lol https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/if-a-hard-drives-critical-process-died-does-the/6ab650ce-9081-46b3-bb6b-abb846df7883
  4. If a hard drives "critical process died", does the data die with it?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    If a hard drives "critical process died", does the data die with it?: If a hard drives "critical process died", does the data die with it? That's all I really wanna know lol https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/if-a-hard-drives-critical-process-died-does-the/6ab650ce-9081-46b3-bb6b-abb846df7883
  5. If a hard drives "critical process died", does the data die with it?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Having issues installing updates since my previous primary boot drive died

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Having issues installing updates since my previous primary boot drive died: Some backstory, I had my previous harddrive die out on me a couple months ago. System wouldn't boot due to not being able to locate a proper boot but I was able to use my USB and did a "repair" and was able to start booting without issue again so I thought everything was...
  7. Having issues installing updates since my previous primary boot drive died

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Having issues installing updates since my previous primary boot drive died: Some backstory, I had my previous harddrive die out on me a couple months ago. System wouldn't boot due to not being able to locate a proper boot but I was able to use my USB and did a "repair" and was able to start booting without issue again so I thought everything was...
  8. Having issues installing updates since my previous primary boot drive died

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. My old motherboard and hard drive died, how can I activate windows on my new system using...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    My old motherboard and hard drive died, how can I activate windows on my new system using...: So I had a machine with windows 10 activated, genuine copy of windows. But that machine died and I had to start fresh on the motherboard and hard drive. This means I am not able to go back into my old system to find my product activation key. Is there an activation key that...
  10. My old motherboard and hard drive died, how can I activate windows on my new system using...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My old motherboard and hard drive died, how can I activate windows on my new system using...: So I had a machine with windows 10 activated, genuine copy of windows. But that machine died and I had to start fresh on the motherboard and hard drive. This means I am not able to go back into my old system to find my product activation key. Is there an activation key that...