Windows 10: Is it really safe to create a folder on the root of my C: drive?

Discus and support Is it really safe to create a folder on the root of my C: drive? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I would like to create some folders right on the C: drive system disk. But is it safe to do anyway?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Abdulqadir Aliyev, Dec 30, 2022.

1. Is it really safe to create a folder on the root of my C: drive?

I would like to create some folders right on the C: drive system disk. But is it safe to do anyway?

:)

Abdulqadir Aliyev, Dec 30, 2022
  2. gs99 Win User

User folders in root C: drive

In my new Windows 10, these folders were generated:

• Intel
    • PerfLogs
    • Program Files
    • Program Files (x86)
    • Users
    • Windows
    Is there a policy of users generating new folders in this root C: drive?

On my old W7 PC I had several folders in C:, providing a shorter path for applications.

E.g. Is there an advantage when new Windows software is installed?

3. DaveM121 Win User
    User folders in root C: drive

Hi gs99

Windows 10 does not by default allow you to create folders in the root of your C drive, you can, but you will be asked for Admin Privileges to do that

Windows 10 is more secure than previous versions of Windows and is very aware of ransomware attacks and will protect your from that. It is best not to create folders in the root of C unless you need to because of file paths . . etc.

DaveM121, Dec 30, 2022
  4. Hari2425 Win User

Is it really safe to create a folder on the root of my C: drive?

Lot of MSI###.tmp folders created in c drive root folder

Windows keeps creating a bunch of empty MSI.tmp folders on my root C: drive and not removing them. It has been doing this now for over the past year and I have been going in every month and manually
    deleting like 300-400 empty MSI.tmp folders. I have to do this manually by visiting the C:/ directory and then selecting all the folders for deletion. Running disk cleanup does not remove these folders. I would like to know why Windows keeps creating these
    empty folders. My biggest guess is it has something to do with the use of Windows Defender as my antivirus protection program because the folders didn't start appearing like this until I had switched to Windows Defender about a year ago.

Hari2425, Dec 30, 2022
Thema:

Is it really safe to create a folder on the root of my C: drive?

1. Is it really safe to create a folder on the root of my C: drive? - Similar Threads - really safe create

2. Create files on C: root

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create files on C: root: Hi all, I need non-admin users to create files in c: root due to a poor written Epson x32 app.Hence I've added these 2 special permissions in c:\:. users: create files in this folder only. auth users: create folders in this folder only. creator owner: full control in files...
  3. Create files on C: root

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create files on C: root: Hi all, I need non-admin users to create files in c: root due to a poor written Epson x32 app.Hence I've added these 2 special permissions in c:\:. users: create files in this folder only. auth users: create folders in this folder only. creator owner: full control in files...
  4. Is it really safe to create a folder on the root of my C: drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is it really safe to create a folder on the root of my C: drive?: I would like to create some folders right on the C: drive system disk. But is it safe to do anyway? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-really-safe-to-create-a-folder-on-the-root/702fef91-ed3c-4eeb-8c1e-2bc4eaa259cc
  5. Is it really safe to create a folder on the root of my C: drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it really safe to create a folder on the root of my C: drive?: I would like to create some folders right on the C: drive system disk. But is it safe to do anyway? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-really-safe-to-create-a-folder-on-the-root/702fef91-ed3c-4eeb-8c1e-2bc4eaa259cc
  6. shortcuts in the root of C: drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    shortcuts in the root of C: drive: Hi,i noticed that i have two shortcuts showing upp in the root of C: drive on all the computers that we have 1500. a shortcut for Program and one for documents and settings. they show up after the re-image is finalized. we use SCCM latest branch any ideas where these two...
  7. shortcuts in the root of C: drive

shortcuts in the root of C: drive: Hi,i noticed that i have two shortcuts showing upp in the root of C: drive on all the computers that we have 1500. a shortcut for Program and one for documents and settings. they show up after the re-image is finalized. we use SCCM latest branch any ideas where these two...
  8. C Drive Creating Download Folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    C Drive Creating Download Folder?: So I changed my default storage from C drive to my own external hard drive for everything. When I download an image it automatically pops up in the hard drive, but when I download a video or anything that i cant "save as", say a video from Google drive for example, it...
  9. User folders in root C: drive

User folders in root C: drive: In my new Windows 10, these folders were generated: Intel PerfLogs Program Files Program Files x86 Users Windows Is there a policy of users generating new folders in this root C: drive? On my old W7 PC I had several folders in C:, providing a shorter path for...
  10. $xxx Folders in Root of C:

in Windows 10 Support
    $xxx Folders in Root of C:: I was under the impression that these folders would go away or can be deleted, BUT !! Has been some time from 1511 build was installed. C:\ $Windows -W " - BT C:\ $sysreset Still have .log and .xml from 12/26/2015 in them ( not the date of the last Windows Update) I...