Windows 10: Is it okay if the Windows Defender Service is not running and is set to Manual?

Discus and support Is it okay if the Windows Defender Service is not running and is set to Manual? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I'm just wondering what's wrong with Windows Defender on my computer. It works perfectly fine. Scanning is working. Like what you see in the image... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Nimmimonie, Sep 4, 2024.

1. Is it okay if the Windows Defender Service is not running and is set to Manual?

I'm just wondering what's wrong with Windows Defender on my computer. It works perfectly fine. Scanning is working. Like what you see in the image below, everything is GREEN.But the problem is, the Windows Defender Service. Please refer to the image below. Like what you see, the Windows Defender Firewall is running. It is working perfectly. But when you look at the item above it, the Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection Service, it isn't running and is set to Manual.I tried everything I found on the Internet to make the service running, but none worked, including the ones I found here i

:)

Nimmimonie, Sep 4, 2024

2. Windows Defender isn't initializing.

Hi Abdul,

Thank you for using Windows 10.

Sorry for the delayed reply. I suggest you to Set Windows Defender to Automatic - You can set the Windows Defender service to Automatic, Disabled or Manual. Setting it to automatic might solve the problem. Follow these
    steps:

• Click Start > type services in the Search box > click Services in the Programs list.
    • Search for Windows defender.
    • Double-click Windows Defender, and click Automatic in the start-up box > click OK.
    Also, follow the below mentioned steps and check:

• Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
    • Click File > Run New Task
    • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
    • Type CMD
    • Type the following 2 commands at the CMD prompt:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

• Close the CMD window
    Keep us posted on the status of the issue and we’ll be glad to help.

Navneet Anand, Sep 4, 2024
  3. Windows Defender Not Working in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for using Windows 10.

Sorry for the delayed reply. I suggest you to Set Windows Defender to Automatic - You can set the Windows Defender service to Automatic, Disabled or Manual. Setting it to automatic might solve the problem. Follow these
    steps:

• Click Start > type services in the Search box > click Services in the Programs list.
    • Search for Windows defender.
    • Double-click Windows Defender, and click Automatic in the start-up box > click OK.
    Also, follow the below mentioned steps and check:

• Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
    • Click File > Run New Task
    • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
    • Type CMD
    • Type the following 2 commands at the CMD prompt:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

• Close the CMD window
    Keep us posted on the status of the issue and we’ll be glad to help.

Navneet Anand, Sep 4, 2024
  4. Borg 386 Win User

Is it okay if the Windows Defender Service is not running and is set to Manual?

windows defender & security center services keep turning off

Are you running any other AV or did you have one running in the past? If you didn't use an uninstaller for the AV, then the remnants of it could be causing the problem. Normally any time you install an AV it disables Defender by default.

If you are getting any error codes please list those, that will be helpful in helping you.

As torre suggested, might be a good idea to do a reset or even a reinstall.

Reset Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums

There are also some suggestions listed here:

Unable to turn on Windows Defender in Windows 7 / 8 / 10

Borg 386, Sep 4, 2024
Thema:

Is it okay if the Windows Defender Service is not running and is set to Manual?

1. Is it okay if the Windows Defender Service is not running and is set to Manual? - Similar Threads - okay Defender Service

2. Is it okay if the Windows Defender Service is not running and is set to Manual?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it okay if the Windows Defender Service is not running and is set to Manual?: I'm just wondering what's wrong with Windows Defender on my computer. It works perfectly fine. Scanning is working. Like what you see in the image below, everything is GREEN.But the problem is, the Windows Defender Service. Please refer to the image below. Like what you see,...
  3. Is it okay if the Windows Defender Service is not running and is set to Manual?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is it okay if the Windows Defender Service is not running and is set to Manual?: I'm just wondering what's wrong with Windows Defender on my computer. It works perfectly fine. Scanning is working. Like what you see in the image below, everything is GREEN.But the problem is, the Windows Defender Service. Please refer to the image below. Like what you see,...
  4. Windows BITS service Manual

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows BITS service Manual: any idea why my system has somehow been set to manual for the BITS? I had a support ticket just recently and this was fixed along with some other security issues r/t corrupt driver. I was going to just change it but wanted to ask if anyone has any insite on the best thing to...
  5. Windows BITS service Manual

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows BITS service Manual: any idea why my system has somehow been set to manual for the BITS? I had a support ticket just recently and this was fixed along with some other security issues r/t corrupt driver. I was going to just change it but wanted to ask if anyone has any insite on the best thing to...
  6. How to manually run a defender scan

How to manually run a defender scan: We have HP labtop with windows 10s.We know nothing about computers.My husband somehow clicked on something that he should not have.Now we keep getting pop ups from kakstitotako. Under security it says no action needed.Clearly something is wrong. I can not find any way to...
  7. Windows Update service is set to manual: problem?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update service is set to manual: problem?: While looking in services, I noticed that Windows Update is set to manual. This might have been indirectly caused by me because I don't want device drivers to be automatically installed which might break my system. But does a manual setting imply that I never receive security...
  8. Fully disabled Defender but "Windows Defender Antivirus Service" runs

Fully disabled Defender but "Windows Defender Antivirus Service" runs: I used the steps from here and elsewhere, to FULLY disable Windows Defender. well over a year ago. Mark my surprise, when I find that the "Antimalware Service executable" is eating up 25% of the processor power... I double checked everything from Group policy settings, to...
  9. Manually Updating Windows Defender?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Manually Updating Windows Defender?: I've had two blue screen errors recently with the stop code "IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL." I was told that this was related to Windows Defender and that it may need an update, or may need to be reinstalled. However, when I try to check for updates, what has happened multiple times...
  10. Apache/MySQL service settings revert to manual on reboot

in Windows 10 Support
    Apache/MySQL service settings revert to manual on reboot: I've maintained an XAMPP localhost on my machine for web development for years and never had any real problem with it. Fairly recently (within the last two or three months, I believe), the services for both Apache and MySQL always revert to a Startup Type of Manual on reboot....