Windows 10: Inquiry Regarding Microsoft Patch Compatibility with Different Processor Architectures

Discus and support Inquiry Regarding Microsoft Patch Compatibility with Different Processor Architectures in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi,I have a question regarding the catalog of Microsoft patches and their applicability to different machine processors. In the catalog, we see patches... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Priyank Saxena1, May 22, 2024.

1. Inquiry Regarding Microsoft Patch Compatibility with Different Processor Architectures

Hi,I have a question regarding the catalog of Microsoft patches and their applicability to different machine processors. In the catalog, we see patches listed for AMD and ARM processors, but there is no information about Intel processors. Additionally, some patches show the architecture as "N/A." Does this mean these patches are applicable to all architectures? Lastly, are ARM patches applicable to Intel processors?Thank you.

:)

Priyank Saxena1, May 22, 2024
  2. LMiller7 Win User

how compatible are AMD processors?

To avoid any confusion:
    AMD64 does not refer to an AMD processor but to the current 64 bit architecture.

Intel's entry into 64 bit was the Itanium processor. It showed promise but was a commercial failure. Today there are relatively few such computers and few operating systems that will run on it. This is high end server and workstation hardware.

AMD went a different route by designing 64 bit extensions to the 32 bit CPU instructions. AMD quite naturally called this architecture AMD64 and that is the name Microsoft uses.. It is also referred to as x86-64. Intel later obtained a license to produce processors with this architecture, as AMD had earlier for the x86 architecture.

There are significant differences between AMD and Intel processors but they matter primarily at the hardware level. They use different sockets. It isn't difficult for software to tell the difference but most doesn't have the need.

Software compatibility between AMD and Intel processors is near 100%. The biggest class of software that won't run on AMD systems is utility and information software designed specifically for Intel motherboards and processors. Of course with an AMD system you have no use for such.

LMiller7, May 22, 2024
  3. windows 11 compatible processors

Hello,

Unfortunately, i7-6700 processor is not compatible for Windows 11, according to Microsoft.

Please check with official Windows 11 list of supported processors: Windows processor requirements Windows 11 supported Intel processors

You can drop a feedback to Microsoft about this, using Feedback hub app.

Regards.

Kapil Arya MVP, May 22, 2024
  4. David-M. Win User

Inquiry Regarding Microsoft Patch Compatibility with Different Processor Architectures

Will Microsoft be adding additional CPUs that are compatible with Windows 11.

Hi MorrisWaller,

I'm David, and I'm happy to help you.

At the moment, there is no evidence that the list of compatible processors will be updated. Mainly the addition of 4th generation processors. They are already considered old. So I suggest not creating expectations.

Microsoft has indicated that the list of compatible processors is final.

If you'd like to provide your feedback to Microsoft, I suggest using the Feedback Hub (Windows + F).

Feel free to ask back any questions.

David-M., May 22, 2024
Thema:

Inquiry Regarding Microsoft Patch Compatibility with Different Processor Architectures

1. Inquiry Regarding Microsoft Patch Compatibility with Different Processor Architectures - Similar Threads - Inquiry Regarding Microsoft

2. Inquiry Regarding Software Key Verification

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Inquiry Regarding Software Key Verification: Hello Microsoft Community,I recently acquired software keys for Windows 11 Pro and Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus. I would like to verify their authenticity before proceeding with installation.Could someone please guide me on how to verify the authenticity of these software...
  3. Inquiry Regarding Software Key Verification

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Inquiry Regarding Software Key Verification: Hello Microsoft Community,I recently acquired software keys for Windows 11 Pro and Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus. I would like to verify their authenticity before proceeding with installation.Could someone please guide me on how to verify the authenticity of these software...
  4. Inquiry Regarding Microsoft Patch Compatibility with Different Processor Architectures

Inquiry Regarding Microsoft Patch Compatibility with Different Processor Architectures: Hi,I have a question regarding the catalog of Microsoft patches and their applicability to different machine processors. In the catalog, we see patches listed for AMD and ARM processors, but there is no information about Intel processors. Additionally, some patches show the...
  5. Inquiry Regarding Microsoft Patch Compatibility with Different Processor Architectures

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Inquiry Regarding Microsoft Patch Compatibility with Different Processor Architectures: Hi,I have a question regarding the catalog of Microsoft patches and their applicability to different machine processors. In the catalog, we see patches listed for AMD and ARM processors, but there is no information about Intel processors. Additionally, some patches show the...
  6. Regarding Windows 11 & Specific Processors compatible with it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Regarding Windows 11 & Specific Processors compatible with it: My laptop has a processor called " i5-6200U", in 2021 to be exact during "September-October" Month. I agreed and clicked on the update for windows 11 and it worked and i enjoyed the new look of windows 11, what I found absurd is that a few days ago my laptop completely froze...
  7. Regarding Windows 11 & Specific Processors compatible with it

Regarding Windows 11 & Specific Processors compatible with it: My laptop has a processor called " i5-6200U", in 2021 to be exact during "September-October" Month. I agreed and clicked on the update for windows 11 and it worked and i enjoyed the new look of windows 11, what I found absurd is that a few days ago my laptop completely froze...
  8. processor patch support?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    processor patch support?: hello*Smile Does this patch support the 3570k Ivy Bridge processor and is it necessary to install? Microsoft has released the November 10, 2020 Intel CPU microcode updates 168146
  9. processor patch support?

in Windows 10 Support
    processor patch support?: hello*Smile Does this patch support the 3570k Ivy Bridge processor and is it necessary to install? Microsoft has released the November 10, 2020 Intel CPU microcode updates 168146
  10. Upgrade different architecture?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade different architecture?: Hi I am wondering if you can upgrade win 8.1 32 bit to win 10 64 bit without losing applications, anyone tried it? Tim 4418