Windows 10: In my Microsoft account I am unable change my primary alias email address

Discus and support In my Microsoft account I am unable change my primary alias email address in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; In my Microsoft account I am unable change my primary alias email address. I've entered a new email address because my old one was closed out. I would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Joe P._323, Sep 14, 2024 at 5:32 PM.

1. In my Microsoft account I am unable change my primary alias email address

In my Microsoft account I am unable change my primary alias email address. I've entered a new email address because my old one was closed out. I would like to move the new one up to the primary position. When I try nothing happens and I eventually get locked out and instructed to try again next week.. Is there any other way to fix this?

:)

2. Unable to change primary alias - Microsoft Account

Hi John,

As per the description, you are experiencing issue with you are unable to change the primary alias for your Microsoft account on the system.

I certainly understand your concern and appreciate all your efforts in trying to fix this issue.

I would like to provide you with the information that
    an account alias is an email address or phone number that you use to sign in to your Microsoft account. You can have multiple aliases, and use any of them with Microsoft services such as Outlook.com, Skype, OneDrive,
    Office, Xbox, Windows and more.

Your primary alias appears on devices such as your Xbox, Surface, and Windows Phone, and is the email OneDrive sends from when you share. You can choose a different alias to be the primary one at any time.

An alias is also the best way to change your email, but keep all your mail.
    Add an alias, then make the new alias primary. Then you can
    keep or remove the original alias.

I would suggest you to try the following steps and check if that helps.

Note: The email alias at the top of the list without a Make primary link is your current primary alias.

• Uncheck the Send me promotional offers from Microsoft box if you like, and click/tap on Yes to confirm.
    You may also try the following steps given below and check if that helps.

• Navigate to Start>Settings>Account>Your Account.
    • In the right pane, click on Sign in with a local account instead.
    • Provide your current Microsoft Account Password.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions.
    • You can leave the Enter Password option empty, however, it is highly recommended to keep a password on your system to keep it safe.

For reference:

I would suggest you to refer to the article given below and check if that helps.

Microsoft account help

Account help

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Jayant Gupta, Sep 14, 2024 at 5:34 PM
  3. Unable to change primary alias - Microsoft Account

I have an old email address ...@bigpond.com as my primary alias. I no longer use this address and will shortly be cancelling that account. That email address, being my primary alias, appears on all of the Office 365 applications on my devices (2 laptops
    and 1 android phone)

I have entered a new alias, my gmail.com email address and that has been accepted at my Microsoft Account and appears as a secondary alias . However whenever I attempt to change my primary alias to the new gmail address I receive an error message that "Unable
    to make this alias primary at this time. Try again later". This has been occurring for a couple of weeks.

When I attempt to remove my current bigpond account as my primary alias I receive an error message that I'm unable to do this until I make another alias the Primary alias

And so it goes in a never ending circle. I am unable to make my secondary gmail alias the primary alias and when I try to remove the bigpond primary alias I am unable to do so until I create a new primary alias!

Frustrating and I can't find any help online

I am not part of an organisation. I am the Administrator for my account and am logged in as such

Where can I turn for help?

John

4. In my Microsoft account I am unable change my primary alias email address

Changing administrator email address

Hi Nooren,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

1) How do you access the Windows computer? Do you use Microsoft account or local account?

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Open PC settings, and click/tap on Accounts on the left side.

• Click/tap on your account on the right side, click/tap on the More account settings online link at the top of the right side.

• If this PC or device is not a trusted device, then you will be prompted to enter and submit a security code sent to your phone or alternate email address.

• In Internet Explorer, or your default web browser, click/tap on the Add or change aliases link under Account aliases.

• Click/tap on Rename under your (primary alias).

• Click/tap on Yes, rename my primary alias.

• Sign in to your Microsoft account with your new email address and password. You can close the web browser when finished.

• To Create a New Email Address to Use as your Primary Alias

• Select (dot) Create a new email address as your primary alias.

• Select if you want a new hotmail.com, live.com, or outlook.com address.

• Type in a name you want, click/tap on Rename primary alias
    9. Click/tap on OK.

Hope this helps. Please reply to us with the status of the issue.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Sep 14, 2024 at 5:34 PM
Thema:

In my Microsoft account I am unable change my primary alias email address

1. In my Microsoft account I am unable change my primary alias email address - Similar Threads - Microsoft account unable

2. In my Microsoft account I am unable change my primary alias email address

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    In my Microsoft account I am unable change my primary alias email address: In my Microsoft account I am unable change my primary alias email address. I've entered a new email address because my old one was closed out. I would like to move the new one up to the primary position. When I try nothing happens and I eventually get locked out and...
  3. In my Microsoft account I am unable change my primary alias email address

in Windows 10 Customization
    In my Microsoft account I am unable change my primary alias email address: In my Microsoft account I am unable change my primary alias email address. I've entered a new email address because my old one was closed out. I would like to move the new one up to the primary position. When I try nothing happens and I eventually get locked out and...
  4. Unable to change my primary alias

Unable to change my primary alias: Hello, I am trying to change my primary alias of my MS account with another email which I have added in my profile, but by doing this I get the error: it was not possible, please try later. I am trying to do this during a few weeks and always get the same error. Thanks....
  5. Change my hacked accounts primary alias email

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change my hacked accounts primary alias email: Hello, My account was recently hacked and the primary account alias is not my email. I would like it if someone could help me change it, because right now I am getting an error saying that I have to wait another week before I can change it because it has been changed too many...
  6. Change my hacked accounts primary alias email

Change my hacked accounts primary alias email: Hello, My account was recently hacked and the primary account alias is not my email. I would like it if someone could help me change it, because right now I am getting an error saying that I have to wait another week before I can change it because it has been changed too many...
  7. I am Unable to change primary alias for my Microsoft Account. "Make Primary" Doesn't Work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am Unable to change primary alias for my Microsoft Account. "Make Primary" Doesn't Work: I am Unable to change primary alias for my Microsoft Account. When I click on "Make Primary". My Current Primary Alias is n***** Email address is removed for privacy ***, I am willing to delete this alias. but First, I have to make my other Alias R***** Email address is...
  8. I am Unable to change primary alias for my Microsoft Account. "Make Primary" Doesn't Work

I am Unable to change primary alias for my Microsoft Account. "Make Primary" Doesn't Work: I am Unable to change primary alias for my Microsoft Account. When I click on "Make Primary". My Current Primary Alias is n***** Email address is removed for privacy ***, I am willing to delete this alias. but First, I have to make my other Alias R***** Email address is...
  9. Unable to change primary alias email account

Unable to change primary alias email account: So I have been trying to change my primary alias on my Microsoft account. I have 2 emails that are both verified. I am trying to make my second email the primary. But when I click to make it primary it just says it is unable to. I cant remove the first email the primary one...
  10. Changing primary email address on my Microsoft Account

Changing primary email address on my Microsoft Account: I would like to change my email address on my Microsoft account to my work email but when I try it tells me that email address is already taken. How can I change it to my work email rather than my personal gmail account? Thank you...