Windows 10: If I reset my PC but keep my personal files, will it remove everything in the "user" folder...

Discus and support If I reset my PC but keep my personal files, will it remove everything in the "user" folder... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I'd like to know whether my files in my user folder will stay intact when I reset my computer or not.What I mean is in the folder "macki", everything... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Mackinnon Sarnelli, May 31, 2024.

1. If I reset my PC but keep my personal files, will it remove everything in the "user" folder...

I'd like to know whether my files in my user folder will stay intact when I reset my computer or not.What I mean is in the folder "macki", everything will stay when I reset.

:)

Mackinnon Sarnelli, May 31, 2024

2. Hide or Show User Profile's Personal Folders in Navigation Pane

Thank you in advance to everyone for your help and time. Hopefully this write-up is succinct. If I reset my PC but keep my personal files, will it remove everything in the "user" folder... :)
    I believe there has to be additional registry modifications to solve this issue.

Problem:
    In the Navigation Pane, specifically regarding the Current User folder tree, a Personal Folder (i.e. 3D Objects, Contacts, Desktop, etc... ) continues to show even after making active the Hidden property for that Personal Folder.

Expected Results:
    Any Personal Folder that is marked "Hidden" in the File/Folder Listings Area should also be hidden in the Navigation Pane specifically within the Current User folder tree.

Steps to recreate the issue: (the following steps assume that the option is deactivated to see hidden folders.)
    1. Open File Explorer
    2. Within Navigation Pane, Right-click over any blank area
    3. Select menu-option "Show All Folders"
    4. Select and Expand the Current User folder tree which is listed as a child object to the "Desktop" folder
    5. Within the File/Folder Listings Area, Right-click on a Personal Folder
    6. Select menu-option "Properties"
    7. Within the new Dialogue window, Select the "General" tab, Select to Activate the Attribute "Hidden", Select the "OK" button
    8. Close File Explorer and then Open File Explorer
    9. Select the Current User folder in the Navigation Pane
    10. Notice the recently-hidden folder is still showing in the Navigation Pane even though it is hidden in the File/Folder Listings Area.

System Specs:
    • Edition: Windows 10 Home 64bit
    • Version: 1709
    • OS Build: 16299.371
    • Hard Drives: 2 (SSD & Mechanical)
    • C:\ = SSD
    • D:\ = Mechanical

Current Modifications of System:
    • The %UserProfile% system folder was successfully transferred to D:\ by using Sysprep during Windows Setup. This is the only system folder moved to another drive.

Current Modifications of File Explorer in Navigation Pane: (using Regedit)
    • Hidden = Quick Access
    • Hidden = Libraries
    • Hidden = OneDrive
    • Hidden = Homegroup
    • Hidden = This PC user personal folders

Current Modifications of File Explorer in Folder/File Listing Area:
    • Each unwanted Personal Folder was changed to "Hidden" by Right-clicking the folder and Checking the Attribute checkbox marked "Hidden".

3rd-Party Software Installed:

• Classic Shell
    • Mozilla Firefox
    • IObit Driver Booster
    • Macrium Reflect

TechGuy737, May 31, 2024
  3. Tin L Win User
    Will the Reset this PC remove personal files like pictures?

Hi Julian,

I'm Christine, a Windows user like you. I'll do my best to help you. I can see here that you would like to know if resetting the PC will remove your Pictures.

Regarding the reset process, you will be provided 2 options which are Reset PC Keep Files and Reset PC remove everything.

Keep Files - will keep your own files that is stored in your user profile folders like Documents, Pictures, Videos etc... but please take note that it will delete the non-preinstalled apps on your device. And it will reinstall Windows on your device.

Remove everything - it will delete all of your personal files and will just reinstalled the preinstalled apps, this will reinstall the entire Windows on your device.

Thank you,

Christine L

Independent Advisor

Tin L, May 31, 2024
  4. If I reset my PC but keep my personal files, will it remove everything in the "user" folder...

Removing a "hidden" user and user files

Thanks for your patience. I was able with "Net User" to remove the left over user. It no longer appears when I invoke Net User.

Now for the user's folder which remains behind. After performing the series of steps that you suggested, I attempted to delete this folder. The result again was an error message about permission
    If I reset my PC but keep my personal files, will it remove everything in the "user" folder... 1579d3b5-d6d3-4481-ad8c-0dae5f689a1a.jpg

"Administrators" appears on the list in the list of advanced security.

RobertOBollinger, May 31, 2024
Thema:

If I reset my PC but keep my personal files, will it remove everything in the "user" folder...

1. If I reset my PC but keep my personal files, will it remove everything in the "user" folder... - Similar Threads - reset keep personal

2. If I reset my PC but keep my personal files, will it remove everything in the "user" folder...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If I reset my PC but keep my personal files, will it remove everything in the "user" folder...: I'd like to know whether my files in my user folder will stay intact when I reset my computer or not.What I mean is in the folder "macki", everything will stay when I reset....
  3. Reset My PC With "Keep My Files" Removed Files From Downloads Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reset My PC With "Keep My Files" Removed Files From Downloads Folder: When I researched this action, I found on forums online that files in C:\Users\YourName files would be saved, but everything in my downloads folder ended up being deleted. Since it's under C:\Users\YourName\Downloads, why did this happen? I had a lot of files that I ended up...
  4. Reset My PC With "Keep My Files" Removed Files From Downloads Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reset My PC With "Keep My Files" Removed Files From Downloads Folder: When I researched this action, I found on forums online that files in C:\Users\YourName files would be saved, but everything in my downloads folder ended up being deleted. Since it's under C:\Users\YourName\Downloads, why did this happen? I had a lot of files that I ended up...
  5. Reset My PC With "Keep My Files" Removed Files From Downloads Folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Will resetting my pc while keeping my files delete other personal folders on the root of...

Will resetting my pc while keeping my files delete other personal folders on the root of...: I know that nothing in the C:/Users/ folder will be touched but what if I have something like C:/PhotosBackup, will that folder be deleted?...
  7. Will resetting my pc while keeping my files delete other personal folders on the root of...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will resetting my pc while keeping my files delete other personal folders on the root of...: I know that nothing in the C:/Users/ folder will be touched but what if I have something like C:/PhotosBackup, will that folder be deleted?...
  8. Will resetting my pc while keeping my files delete other personal folders on the root of...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. Hi so i reset my PC to the factory and keep my personal file and everything Going good till...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hi so i reset my PC to the factory and keep my personal file and everything Going good till...: So after resetting my PC my password didnt work pls help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hi-so-i-reset-my-pc-to-the-factory-and-keep-my/75124aff-780d-401f-942c-f5fd01321aab
  10. Resetting PC, Reset Everything: Just remove my files

Resetting PC, Reset Everything: Just remove my files: So i encountered an registry error in my pc and i tried to startup repair open cmd but it requires password, but the password i provided is correct but it says error so i have no options but to reset pc. So does the option Reset Everything -> keep my files, does it remove and...