Windows 10: ICC Profiles and Color Management are not working

Discus and support ICC Profiles and Color Management are not working in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I'm on Windows 11 Pro 22H2I'm trying to used my monitor's OEM ICC profile but it looks like it has no effect. I dived deeper by setting random ICC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Ryan.nguyen389, Dec 21, 2023.

1. ICC Profiles and Color Management are not working

I'm on Windows 11 Pro 22H2I'm trying to used my monitor's OEM ICC profile but it looks like it has no effect. I dived deeper by setting random ICC profiles by default but all have no effect. I do remember these having substantial changes in color in Windows 10, but it seems like it's not working in Windows 11. Any help?

:)

Ryan.nguyen389, Dec 21, 2023
  2. Sonny1983 Win User

ICC color profile doesn't work on printer (Win11)

Hello everybody,

I got an ICC color profile for my printer and assigned it to my printer using Windows' "Color Management", but there is no change in the printout. My printer driver (HP MFP479) doesn't have built-in options to apply color profiling. But as far as I know, when I use Windows' "Color Management", that doesn't matter, because Windows should alter the datastream that gets sent to the printer driver to print (without the driver noticing). I don't use programs like PhotoShop that can directly apply color profiles; I want the profile to be always active when printing from whatever program. And as I've read, that is what "Color Management" should be good for. Here's how I installed the profile:

• copy <profilename>.ICC to "C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color"
    • right-click and "Install"
    • went to "Color Management" in Control Panel
    • selected my printer
    • ticked "Use my settings for this device"
    • selected "Manual"
    • added profile via dialog
    • set profile as standard
    • close

Result: No change in printouts. But when I use ExifPro (which has built-in color profiling) and I select my profile there, the printout changes (as it should). So the profile itself works, but "Color Management" doesn't apply it to the print data. What am I doing wrong?

I appreciate any help. Thanks a lot.

Sonny1983, Dec 21, 2023
  3. Windows 10 v1909 ICC Profiles - Advanced Color

In the Windows 10 v1909 control panel Color Management app I load an ICC profile for an HP color laserjet printer. Two sections appear in the Color Management app - "ICC Profiles" and "ICC Profiles (Advanced Color)". What is difference between these
    two sections? In particular, what does "Advanced Color" mean?

Bill Vallance, Dec 21, 2023
  4. Sonny1983 Win User

ICC Profiles and Color Management are not working

ICC color profile doesn't work on printer (Win11)

Hello Greg, thanks a lot for your quick answer.

I didn't post this issue at a HP forum because my printer (or rather its driver) doesn't support ICC profiles by itself. And I don't think they will program another driver just for me and a few people.

I postet the issue here because I've read that Windows can use ICC profiles independently from the device driver (as I said: Windows Color Management sits in between the app that generates print data and the printer driver, and uses the profile to alter the data). If this information is not true, I would not be able to use ICC profiles on my printer.

However I already deinstalled, cleaned up and re-installed the printer anyway. No changes. ICC profile is applied in the Color Management, but doesn't have any effect. Printing with an app that natively supports ICC profiles on its own, the printout looks great. But as I said, I wanted to use Color Management in Windows to be able to use a profile system-wide, independently from special apps.

So the question here is: Is the information wrong that Windows' Color Management can apply ICC profiles to a device independently of its driver (e.g. without the device being aware of it)? If that information is still correct, why doesn't Windows apply it correctly?

Sonny1983, Dec 21, 2023
Thema:

ICC Profiles and Color Management are not working

1. ICC Profiles and Color Management are not working - Similar Threads - ICC Profiles Color

2. ICC Profiles and Color Management are not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ICC Profiles and Color Management are not working: I'm on Windows 11 Pro 22H2I'm trying to used my monitor's OEM ICC profile but it looks like it has no effect. I dived deeper by setting random ICC profiles by default but all have no effect. I do remember these having substantial changes in color in Windows 10, but it seems...
  3. ICC color profile doesn't work on printer Win11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ICC color profile doesn't work on printer Win11: Hello everybody,I got an ICC color profile for my printer and assigned it to my printer using Windows' "Color Management", but there is no change in the printout. My printer driver HP MFP479 doesn't have built-in options to apply color profiling. But as far as I know, when I...
  4. ICC color profile doesn't work on printer Win11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ICC color profile doesn't work on printer Win11: Hello everybody,I got an ICC color profile for my printer and assigned it to my printer using Windows' "Color Management", but there is no change in the printout. My printer driver HP MFP479 doesn't have built-in options to apply color profiling. But as far as I know, when I...
  5. ICC Color Profile not staying applied

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    ICC Color Profile not staying applied: Been trying to set up an ICC profile on my desktop as my colors seem washed out. I have an ASUS VG248QE. Every time I apply the profile I can see the change take place but as soon as I close out of color management it reverts back to normal. I check the boxes for using my...
  6. Windows 10 v1909 ICC Profiles - Advanced Color

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 v1909 ICC Profiles - Advanced Color: In the Windows 10 v1909 control panel Color Management app I load an ICC profile for an HP color laserjet printer. Two sections appear in the Color Management app - "ICC Profiles" and "ICC Profiles Advanced Color". What is difference between these two sections? In...
  7. ICC Profile for Monitor?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    ICC Profile for Monitor?: I’ve never used an ICC Profile before and I’ve successfully added a profile as default but nothing changed on the monitor. I looked at my monitor’s picture setting and nothing has changed there. Am I missing something? When I added the ICC profile I figured it would change my...
  8. How to install a Color Profile in Windows 10 using an ICC Profile

in Windows 10 News
    How to install a Color Profile in Windows 10 using an ICC Profile: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Ever wondered why an image looks different on every monitor? Why some of the pictures taken from a phone look surprisingly better on another phone’s display? The answer is how the display has been configured to output the correct color [...] This post How to...
  9. ICC color profile not sticking after reboot/sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    ICC color profile not sticking after reboot/sleep: I can't get my ICC profile to stick on my thinkpad A485 after reboot or sleep. I have tried the task-scheduler solution, game-bar disable, selection all the necessary options in color management profile and still nothing. I have all the latest drivers with my display drivers....
  10. ICC profiles ignored under Color Management app in Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Customization
    ICC profiles ignored under Color Management app in Windows 10.: I'm having two issues here using Windows 10. 1. When I do the "Identify" under Display settings I see that DELL monitor is numbered as 1 and BenQ is numbered as 2. At the same time under Color Management next to a "Device" is says that BenQ is 1 and Dell is 2....