Windows 10: I will be upgrading my computer for Christmas replacing the CPU, Motherboard, and RAM....

Discus and support I will be upgrading my computer for Christmas replacing the CPU, Motherboard, and RAM.... in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; For Christmas I will be upgrading the Motherboard, CPU, and RAM. Will I need to purchase another license for Windows 11 after the upgrade because the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Dan Andrews1, Dec 15, 2023.

1. I will be upgrading my computer for Christmas replacing the CPU, Motherboard, and RAM....

For Christmas I will be upgrading the Motherboard, CPU, and RAM. Will I need to purchase another license for Windows 11 after the upgrade because the system will be with new parts.

:)

Dan Andrews1, Dec 15, 2023
  2. andy29uk Win User

Replacing Motherboard/CPU/RAM with OEM Windows

Hi, I am helping a friend with a Dell Optiplex computer which has Windows 8.1 OEM installed. It has been struck by lightning and I need to replace at least the motherboard.

Looking through forum threads here, it looks like if I replace the motherboard with one of the same model, the activation of Windows should be ok. What if I change to a different (compatible) CPU at the same time, would that still be ok? Does the RAM also need
    to be of the same size? The hard drive and other devices would be the same.

andy29uk, Dec 15, 2023
  3. NavyLCDR Win User
    replacing motherboard and cpu

If you really want to minimize the chance of not booting on the new hardware, go into device manager and uninstall the IDE/AHCI disk controller drivers (SATA), and the NVME drivers. If you have any Intel Rapid Storage Technology Drivers listed, uninstall those too. Do NOT restart the computer! Then set Windows to boot into Safe mode the next time, again do NOT restart the computer. Do a completely shutdown by holding down shift key while clicking on shutdown from the power button menu. Then move your SSD/HDD to the new computer and it should boot into safe mode. Now clear the check box for booting into safe mode and restart the computer and it should boot up and install the proper drive controller drivers - unless you need Intel Rapid Storage Technology Drivers and you would need to install those while booted into Safe mode.
    I will be upgrading my computer for Christmas replacing the CPU, Motherboard, and RAM.... 362191d1647315454t-replacing-motherboard-cpu-capture1.jpg

I will be upgrading my computer for Christmas replacing the CPU, Motherboard, and RAM.... 362192d1647315466t-replacing-motherboard-cpu-capture2.jpg

NavyLCDR, Dec 15, 2023
  4. I will be upgrading my computer for Christmas replacing the CPU, Motherboard, and RAM....

a cpu and motherboard upgrade..

You say "just" but that really is a major upgrade. For licensing purposes, a new motherboard is considered a new computer. Do be careful, however, as a new motherboard often also requires new RAM. Check the motherboard's QVL (qualified vendors list) for compatible RAM on the board's website. There are too many for them to test them all so you don't have to buy listed RAM, but you should buy RAM with the same specs as listed RAM to ensure compatibility.
    OEM licenses are not "legally" transferable to a new motherboard under any circumstances - with one exception. That is if the new board is a replacement during a repair process for a board that has failed. And then it MUST be an exact replacement, or the recommended replacement by the same manufacturer if the original board is no longer in production or available.

Technically, you often can get away with it. But that does not make it legal. And since these conditions are set in the EULA we agree to abide by when we decide to keep using the license on the original computer, that makes the terms legally binding - whether Microsoft decides to pursue it in court, or not.

Bill_Bright, Dec 15, 2023
Thema:

I will be upgrading my computer for Christmas replacing the CPU, Motherboard, and RAM....

1. I will be upgrading my computer for Christmas replacing the CPU, Motherboard, and RAM.... - Similar Threads - upgrading computer Christmas

2. I will be upgrading my computer for Christmas replacing the CPU, Motherboard, and RAM....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I will be upgrading my computer for Christmas replacing the CPU, Motherboard, and RAM....: For Christmas I will be upgrading the Motherboard, CPU, and RAM. Will I need to purchase another license for Windows 11 after the upgrade because the system will be with new parts....
  3. Upgrading cpu, motherboard and ram, do i need to reinstall windows?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading cpu, motherboard and ram, do i need to reinstall windows?: Hello i am using i5 3gen with h61 motherboard and i am upgrading with i5 11 gen with new motherboard and ram and im gona use my old ssd so do i need to reintall windows or just driver update gona work...
  4. Upgrading cpu, motherboard and ram, do i need to reinstall windows?

Upgrading cpu, motherboard and ram, do i need to reinstall windows?: Hello i am using i5 3gen with h61 motherboard and i am upgrading with i5 11 gen with new motherboard and ram and im gona use my old ssd so do i need to reintall windows or just driver update gona work...
  5. Random restarts after upgrading Motherboard, CPU and RAM

Random restarts after upgrading Motherboard, CPU and RAM: I have been experiencing random restarts while I have been playing video games. They are a 41 Event ID in the Event Viewer. I have the .dmp files. I cannot tell if its hardware failure or drivers....
  6. Random restarts after upgrading Motherboard, CPU and RAM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random restarts after upgrading Motherboard, CPU and RAM: I have been experiencing random restarts while I have been playing video games. They are a 41 Event ID in the Event Viewer. I have the .dmp files. I cannot tell if its hardware failure or drivers....
  7. Upgrading my CPU and Motherboard

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading my CPU and Motherboard: Hello, I am upgrading my CPU and motherboard. I use my computer for content creation and have a DAW digital audio workstation and Adobe creative cloud. Will I have to reinstall these programs and my plugins after the upgrade? This is my first upgrade that I am carrying out...
  8. BSOD even after replacing CPU,motherboard and RAM need help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BSOD even after replacing CPU,motherboard and RAM need help: Hi All, Lately I have been getting a bluescreen errors on my PC - Unexpected kernel mode trap. It mostly happens while launching games / gaming. (FFXIV, League of legends, overwatch, etc) I've tried different games and still get the same issue. My precious PC specs are...
  9. Storage Spaces - How to upgrade motherboard/CPU/RAM

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage Spaces - How to upgrade motherboard/CPU/RAM: I want to upgrade my 6 year old Motherboard/CPU/RAM/etc but I have 32TB (4 separate 8TB mechanical drives) setup in full backup in a Storage Space using Windows 10. How do make sure I don't lose all my data when I upgrade the Motherboard/CPU/etc? These are precious family...
  10. Replacing motherboard, cpu and ram, transferring Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Replacing motherboard, cpu and ram, transferring Windows 10: I hope someone can provide me with the some guidance. The scenario is this: I'm updating the mobo, cpu and ram in my PC to AMD Ryzen 2700X and a Gigabyte x470. All the other components including the hard drive will be the same. I'll be reformatting the hard drive and...