Windows 10: I messed up my SSD C: permissions and ownership settings. Can I reset those settings back...

Discus and support I messed up my SSD C: permissions and ownership settings. Can I reset those settings back... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I wanted to delete a file but to do so I would have to take ownership of the file. So I messed up some ownership files & permissions settings instead.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by adrian017263, Jun 28, 2024.

1. I messed up my SSD C: permissions and ownership settings. Can I reset those settings back...

I wanted to delete a file but to do so I would have to take ownership of the file. So I messed up some ownership files & permissions settings instead. After doing a clean install, it seems they’re still messed up, it doesn’t display my SSD capacity anymore but works in safemode, can’t open task manager but works in safemode, can’t uninstall apps but works in safemode , can’t adjust my display brightness etc. I booted into safe mode & i can uninstall apps there & it displays my ssd capacity, but outside of safe mode I can’t operate my system properly. I have watched YouTube tu

:)

adrian017263, Jun 28, 2024
  2. Scooze__ Win User

File Ownership, and Permissions

So, I've thoroughly messed up some files on my pc somehow, as I have what appears to be "Full Control" and "Ownership" of the files.

The problem however is that even though these things seem to be true, I'm still met with a message suggesting I need permission from a user that technically doesn't exist anymore. These are Windows.old files after I performed a recovery of the system.
    They are taking up a massive chunk of my OS drive, and I want that space.

I've done everything I know to do to take ownership, and subsequently add all the permissions to the files that I need. Beyond that I removed every other credential so that my primary account (which is also an administrator) would be the only one with full
    control of the files (System, admins as a group, and the account itself all have "Full Control" listed.)

Does anyone know why these ghost permissions are still in effect, and how I could remove it? This account it's saying I need permission from is NOT listed on any of it's permissions. Besides, the account literally doesn't exist anymore.

Help?

Scooze__, Jun 28, 2024
  3. Beaupedia Win User
    Messed Up Using "Take Ownership", Now Profile Settings Won't Load

Thank you so much for responding. This is what I have now. What would you suggest I do?
    I messed up my SSD C: permissions and ownership settings. Can I reset those settings back... 353182d1637968630-messed-up-using-take-ownership-now-profile-settings-wont-load-image.png

I messed up my SSD C: permissions and ownership settings. Can I reset those settings back... 353183d1637968904-messed-up-using-take-ownership-now-profile-settings-wont-load-image.png
    - - - Updated - - - I have a System Restore from last night, before I did any of this today. Would that be advisable or would you suggest something else?
    I messed up my SSD C: permissions and ownership settings. Can I reset those settings back... 353185d1637969555-messed-up-using-take-ownership-now-profile-settings-wont-load-image.png

Beaupedia, Jun 28, 2024
  4. I messed up my SSD C: permissions and ownership settings. Can I reset those settings back...

Changing the ownership of C: drive and all the folders and subfolders within it to default settings

Hi,

You may modify the ownership of the drives on your computer for specific users for security purposes to access its permissions. However, this option is unable to revert back to its default setup. If you run into a problem with other users on your PC, you
    may just add the Administrator and they must use the administrator account to access its permission. To do this, you may follow the steps below:

• Click Start, type File Explorer, and press
      Enter
    • Right-click on the C: drive and select Properties >
      Security tab and click the Advanced button.
    • On the Advanced Security Settings for Windows (CI messed up my SSD C: permissions and ownership settings. Can I reset those settings back... :) window, click the
      Change button for the Owner, type Administrator on the
      Enter the object name to select section, and then click
      Check Names
      . This will allow all administrator accounts.
    • Once you’re done, click OK > Apply and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
    • After completing the steps, click OK to save the changes, and then check if these steps resolved your concern.

Keep us updated about your concern for additional assistance.

Joseph Ban, Jun 28, 2024
Thema:

I messed up my SSD C: permissions and ownership settings. Can I reset those settings back...

1. I messed up my SSD C: permissions and ownership settings. Can I reset those settings back... - Similar Threads - messed SSD permissions

2. I messed up my SSD C: permissions and ownership settings. Can I reset those settings back...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I messed up my SSD C: permissions and ownership settings. Can I reset those settings back...: I wanted to delete a file but to do so I would have to take ownership of the file. So I messed up some ownership files & permissions settings instead. After doing a clean install, it seems they’re still messed up, it doesn’t display my SSD capacity anymore but works in...
  3. I messed up my C: permissions and ownership settings. Can I reset those settings back to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I messed up my C: permissions and ownership settings. Can I reset those settings back to...: I wanted to delete a file but to do so I would have to take ownership of the file. So I messed up some ownership files & permissions settings instead. After doing a clean install, it seems they’re still messed up, it doesn’t display my SSD capacity anymore but works in...
  4. i accidently take ownership of "C:\Documents And Settings"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i accidently take ownership of "C:\Documents And Settings": i tried to search it up nut that was not helpful is my laptop broken?sys info: Mozilla/5.0 Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64 AppleWebKit/537.36 KHTML, like Gecko Chrome/115.0.0.0 Safari/537.36 OPR/101.0.0.0 Edition std-2Device name Epic-Flat-Box Processor AMD Ryzen 7 6800H with...
  5. i accidently take ownership of "C:\Documents And Settings"

i accidently take ownership of "C:\Documents And Settings": i tried to search it up nut that was not helpful is my laptop broken?sys info: Mozilla/5.0 Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64 AppleWebKit/537.36 KHTML, like Gecko Chrome/115.0.0.0 Safari/537.36 OPR/101.0.0.0 Edition std-2Device name Epic-Flat-Box Processor AMD Ryzen 7 6800H with...
  6. I messed up everything by changing ownership

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I messed up everything by changing ownership: Uhh... yes i did smth dumb... but please help me. I am the admin and the only user of my PC. But yet most of the folders and files is owned by SYSTEM or TrustedInstaller and whenever I try to access or delete those stuffs, it says access denied which was kinda annoying. So...
  7. I messed up everything by changing ownership

I messed up everything by changing ownership: Uhh... yes i did smth dumb... but please help me. I am the admin and the only user of my PC. But yet most of the folders and files is owned by SYSTEM or TrustedInstaller and whenever I try to access or delete those stuffs, it says access denied which was kinda annoying. So...
  8. I really messed up, Set permissions for HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT with all...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I really messed up, Set permissions for HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT with all...: As the title says I messed up super badly, I needed permissions to delete some registry keys and I thought the best way to make sure I wouldnt have to keep setting permissions for each key I opened permissions for HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and enabled "replace...
  9. Settings messed up

in Windows 10 Customization
    Settings messed up: My system settings reset for some reason and can’t restore them. This has caused me to not be able to connect to any WiFi, etc. I need help ASAP since i cant use my computer properly...
  10. My Monitor Settings Are Messed Up.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My Monitor Settings Are Messed Up.: Split from this thread. My factory colors have changed and U can not see anything... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/my-monitor-settings-are-messed-up/8173aca1-3ee5-4ed2-b1f9-f5efc6b6a8be