Windows 10: I have questions about if my laptop stolen what can I do to get from theft

Discus and support I have questions about if my laptop stolen what can I do to get from theft in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi I have dell i3 i would like to know that if my laptop stolen and even power of how can I track location to find out and I try to track normally then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Asad Ulla Choudhury, Oct 20, 2024 at 10:42 PM.

1. I have questions about if my laptop stolen what can I do to get from theft

Hi I have dell i3 i would like to know that if my laptop stolen and even power of how can I track location to find out and I try to track normally then seen there I have to put serials number when I go to find my device so which seriel number do i have to enter from laptop serial number which I want to track or any others please let me know complete details

:)

Asad Ulla Choudhury, Oct 20, 2024 at 10:42 PM

2. Laptop stolen

Hi,

No. unless you had special software and hardware designed for that purpose already on the computer.

Be sure to contact the System Maker who can help provide serial numbers and other information you might need to report it to the police. Be sure to report it to the Police as many are recovered and they go unclaimed due to no report. Check Craig's list and
    other sites in your area.

The Case of the Stolen Laptop: Mitigating the Threats of Equipment Theft

Be forearmed for possible theft in the future :

Traveling? 10 tips to protect your laptop from theft

http://www.microsoft.com/atwork/security/laptopsecurity.aspx

Laptop security basics

Windows help and learning

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rob Brown -
    Microsoft MVP
    <- profile - Windows and Devices for IT : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

SpiritX MS MVP, Oct 20, 2024 at 10:49 PM
  3. stolen laptop

Hello,

Microsoft does not install tracking software on the device. The way tracking programs work - they "phone home", they send a signal out to the Internet and tell someone (like the tracking program provider) where they are. - Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene, MVP

Wireless FAQ on Lost/Stolen device

CTIA - 404 Not Found

What can I do if my computer or laptop was lost or stolen?

What Can I Do if My Computer or Laptop Was Lost or Stolen?

4. I have questions about if my laptop stolen what can I do to get from theft

Stolen laptop

I'm very sorry that your laptop was stolen. Unfortunately, I don't have good news for you.

You are very unlikely to find your laptop if it was stolen. I'll explain why below. But before you look for your computer, there is something much more important that you need to do.

You should presume that whomever stole your computer has access to everything that was on the hard drive. That means you must immediately take steps to protect your identity from being stolen. Start by doing these things:

1- Change every one of your passwords. Every one of them. This prevents the thief from gaining access to your identity online.

2- Freeze your credit reports with the major credit reporting agencies.

3- Inform all your financial institutions that your computer was stolen and your identity may be compromised. Financial institutions have plenty of experience in dealing with this.

4- In the United States, follow the instructions on the U.S. government's Identity Theft website.

5- Be on the lookout for signs that your identity might have been stolen and take action immediately if something doesn't feel right.

Unless your computer has a built-in GPS, there is no way to pinpoint its location with any accuracy. Without a GPS, the 'find my computer' feature in Windows 10 or in third-party software (if you have that software) can give you at best an approximate location, which is unlikely to help you find your computer. And even then, a GPS or identity-tracking app is only useful if the thief is dumb enough to allow your computer to connect to the internet.

All but the most amateur of thieves knows that the owner of a stolen computer will take steps to prevent it from being used, so they will act quickly. Your computer will likely be taken apart and everything but the hard drive will be discarded. Other thieves may quickly erase the hard drive, install a fresh copy of Windows, and have themselves a new computer.

What you should do, if you can, is to remotely lock and erase your computer but, again, if you don't do this within a few hours of losing your computer it's probably too late. Sorry again for your misfortune.

Thema:

I have questions about if my laptop stolen what can I do to get from theft

1. I have questions about if my laptop stolen what can I do to get from theft - Similar Threads - questions laptop stolen

2. I have questions about if my laptop stolen what can I do to get from theft

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have questions about if my laptop stolen what can I do to get from theft: Hi I have dell i3 i would like to know that if my laptop stolen and even power of how can I track location to find out and I try to track normally then seen there I have to put serials number when I go to find my device so which seriel number do i have to enter from laptop...
  3. What do I do when my laptop is stolen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What do I do when my laptop is stolen: How do I chat with a microsoft person. My laptop was just stolen and I would like to retrieve information from the one drive. The find my device was not on.Thank you....
  4. What do I do when my laptop is stolen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What do I do when my laptop is stolen: How do I chat with a microsoft person. My laptop was just stolen and I would like to retrieve information from the one drive. The find my device was not on.Thank you....
  5. What do I do when my laptop is stolen

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  6. Help my laptop was stolen. I do not know if location is on. What can I do? It won't lock.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help my laptop was stolen. I do not know if location is on. What can I do? It won't lock.: My HP Pavilion laptop was stolen today. I'm trying to lock it, but it won't lock. I do not think location is on. I'm panicking. What can I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/help-my-laptop-was-stolen-i-do-not-know-if/32da9944-2dc3-4b05-9884-dc446b1c197a
  7. Help my laptop was stolen. I do not know if location is on. What can I do? It won't lock.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help my laptop was stolen. I do not know if location is on. What can I do? It won't lock.: My HP Pavilion laptop was stolen today. I'm trying to lock it, but it won't lock. I do not think location is on. I'm panicking. What can I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/help-my-laptop-was-stolen-i-do-not-know-if/32da9944-2dc3-4b05-9884-dc446b1c197a
  8. Help my laptop was stolen. I do not know if location is on. What can I do? It won't lock.

9. What can I do to locate a stolen laptop

What can I do to locate a stolen laptop: What if anything can i do to locate my laptop that was stolen from my home. Is there anyway I can track the location if they erased my account and disabled the tracking device...
  10. My laptop was stolen what do I do now

My laptop was stolen what do I do now: My laptop was stolen today if I always delete everything including passwords forms I disabled this and used disc cleaner, delete temp files using run temp delete scan for malware, will the thief can still get the information I have type in all the sites I have visited when I...