Windows 10: I don't have the option to set my audio input to mono in Windows Settings because I'm using...

Discus and support I don't have the option to set my audio input to mono in Windows Settings because I'm using... in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hello there.I have an issue with audio at the moment in which any form of audio recording only plays through the left headphone because of how my audio... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by [-DJ-] DJ BXRTZXLL, Jul 6, 2024.

1. I don't have the option to set my audio input to mono in Windows Settings because I'm using...

Hello there.I have an issue with audio at the moment in which any form of audio recording only plays through the left headphone because of how my audio is set up. I have a Steinberg UR22C audio interface with an MXL990 XLR microphone plugged into one of the interface's XLR inputs. The issue is that I only get audio signal in the left headphone because of this. The apparent fix is to go into my Windows settings and change my audio input's settings to 1 channel instead of 2 channels, but I don't get the 1 channel option for some reason and have to stick to 2. Is there any way that I can go aroun

:)

[-DJ-] DJ BXRTZXLL, Jul 6, 2024
  2. wb0gaz Win User

Mono audio (ease of access) plus Listen to Microphone (audio control)

I wish to have my Windows 10 (20H2) machine listen to microphone (relay audio from sound input device to sound output device) and be in Mono audio mode (combine left and right input sound streams and send the combined result to both left and right output sound stream) at start-up.

The "Turn on Mono" setting does not appear to take effect until after an (any?) application using windows sound is started. The "listen to microphone" setting IS in effect at start-up (however, the audio flow is still stereo, which is not intended.)

Here is the step-by-step:

1. Start Windows 10, no audio-based application running
    2. Ease of Access > Audio > Turn on Mono
    3. Sound Control Panel > Recording > (double click on) Microphone > Listen > [x] Listen to this Device

4. Reboot.

5. At this point, the "Turn on Mono" setting does not appear to be in effect (left and right audio channels are still distinct)

6. Start (any) windows sound application

7. At this point, the "Turn on Mono" setting DOES appear to be in effect (left and right channels are merged at input, and the merged audio is presented to both left and right audio outputs)

8. Stop the windows sound application

9. At this point, the "Turn on Mono" setting DOES appear to be in effect (left and right channels are merged at input, and the merged audio is presented to both left and right audio outputs)

Repeatable beginning at step 4.

I imagine this is not intended behavior, and I'm wondering if it's an oversight in Windows 10?

Thanks for any advice or attempts to duplicate this sequence.

Dave

wb0gaz, Jul 6, 2024
  3. wb0gaz Win User

Thank you for the reply.

Would you be able to attempt replicate the step-by-step I posted, particularly observing for mono behavior after start-up, but before any application is running?

My posting did not include a test for mono status after operating the mono control panel setting; only that the mono status was not actually active after a reboot, when it should be.

Upon first reboot after the settings change, the audio channels are not merged, as I can verify that the channels are independent (I feed audio source only from "left", and the output is only in "left" ("right" is silent input, silent output), even when Mono setting is applied). Once an application runs after start-up, the audio source feeding only "left" input is now observed on both "left" and "right" outputs.

Thank you again for any assistance, or any advice where I can proceed.

Dave

wb0gaz, Jul 6, 2024
  4. dalchina Win User

I don't have the option to set my audio input to mono in Windows Settings because I'm using...

I find that if I set mono, then restart, then test as I posted, it's mono.

This suggests another snaglet in 2004/20H2.

Another option for you might be to use the bat file in the tutorial and run that at startup.
    Turn On or Off Mono Audio in Windows 10

I've asked about 20H2 after that tutorial for you.
    Turn On or Off Mono Audio in Windows 10

dalchina, Jul 6, 2024
Thema:

I don't have the option to set my audio input to mono in Windows Settings because I'm using...

1. I don't have the option to set my audio input to mono in Windows Settings because I'm using... - Similar Threads - don't option set

2. I don't have the option to set my audio input to mono in Windows Settings because I'm using...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I don't have the option to set my audio input to mono in Windows Settings because I'm using...: Hello there.I have an issue with audio at the moment in which any form of audio recording only plays through the left headphone because of how my audio is set up. I have a Steinberg UR22C audio interface with an MXL990 XLR microphone plugged into one of the interface's XLR...
  3. I don't have the option to change my app recommendation settings.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I don't have the option to change my app recommendation settings.: I don't know why. I have checked everywhere in the 'Apps' section and there is literally no option to change my app recommendation settings. I have tried checking to see if my laptop is in S mode, but it isn't. I have literally tried everything and I don't know why I still do...
  4. I don't have the option to change my app recommendation settings.

I don't have the option to change my app recommendation settings.: I don't know why. I have checked everywhere in the 'Apps' section and there is literally no option to change my app recommendation settings. I have tried checking to see if my laptop is in S mode, but it isn't. I have literally tried everything and I don't know why I still do...
  5. When did Windows add Mono Audio settings?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When did Windows add Mono Audio settings?: I am doing an assignment on Software that assist with hearing and I can't find anything anywhere. Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-did-windows-add-mono-audio-settings/4eeef0ce-a612-4b3c-8547-139ad46c9c99
  6. When did Windows add Mono Audio settings?

When did Windows add Mono Audio settings?: I am doing an assignment on Software that assist with hearing and I can't find anything anywhere. Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-did-windows-add-mono-audio-settings/4eeef0ce-a612-4b3c-8547-139ad46c9c99
  7. When did Windows add Mono Audio settings?

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Using the output jack as a mono input

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using the output jack as a mono input: Is there a driver that exists that will allow the headphone output jack to be switched to take an input signal? this would be similar to an audio interface taking in a microphone signal and allowing for it to be recorded into a DAW. I Know mac used to allow this feature. It...
  9. Using the output jack as a mono input

Using the output jack as a mono input: Is there a driver that exists that will allow the headphone output jack to be switched to take an input signal? this would be similar to an audio interface taking in a microphone signal and allowing for it to be recorded into a DAW. I Know mac used to allow this feature. It...
  10. I Don't have 'Gaming' option in settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    I Don't have 'Gaming' option in settings: I'm all up to date with 1903, but i can't install Media pack.. It says its not Applicable for my system.. Been trying for hours to troubleshoot, Even contacted Support which didn't resolve my issue. So im not turning to the Community. Tried EVERYTHING in the powershell. I...