Windows 10: I cloned my OEM Win10 C Drive and it is running my new PC, but it needs reactivating. Can I...

Discus and support I cloned my OEM Win10 C Drive and it is running my new PC, but it needs reactivating. Can I... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My laptop came with OEM Win7 and was upgraded free to Win10. Recently the laptop was having some major issues so I built myself a new Desktop PC with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Peter_Stu, Oct 25, 2024 at 12:57 AM.

1. Peter_Stu Win User

I cloned my OEM Win10 C Drive and it is running my new PC, but it needs reactivating. Can I...

My laptop came with OEM Win7 and was upgraded free to Win10. Recently the laptop was having some major issues so I built myself a new Desktop PC with all modern, brand new parts Z790 MB, 14th gen Intel CPU, Nvidia 4070 GPU etc. I cloned the laptops C drive and put it into the new PC and after a few driver updates and adjustments, it is up and running, without a problem. Windows just needs to be reactivated which I understand will not happen since the OEM Win10 is single license.My hope is to buy a Retail Win11 and without doing a complete reinstall of everything, upgrade to the Retail Win11?

:)

2. skooterfd Win User

Cloning Drive C:/

I bought a new hard drive so I could clone my main hard drive. The new drive was formatted after putting into an external hard drive bay connected using USB cable. I right clicked on my C:/ drive & chose copy. I then right clicked on my new hard drive F:/
    and chose paste. It then started to copy C:/ to F:/, but it eventually failed saying I wasn't authorized to access certain files even though I'm the Administrator of my computer. It also said I had a bad sector on C:/ drive. I then reformatted C:/ & tried
    to make a clone drive onto F:/. All that did was copy over ...

$RECYCLEBIN, Boot, Recovery, System Volume 1, bootmgr, BOOTNXT, BOOTSECT.BAK

It appears to me that all it did was make a boot disk in case C:/ drive failed to boot I could have the computer boot using drive F:/ which is not what I wanted. I already have drive E:/ for that in the same bay housing as F:/.

What I want is an exact clone of C:/ drive, every program & file on it!

Anyone got any suggestions?

3. After adding a new larger HD and cloning drive C, how do I rename the new drive to "C" with the older drive C still installed in the Desktop PC?

Hi Dave. I have not changed the boot order yet, when I turned on the PC this morning after the cloning was completed, the PC opened into setup BIOS screen. It listed both drives, the old listed as drive C and the new one as drive E. It asked me which drive to boot to, I kept it at the old one for now until I felt I had a better understanding of this works without causing issues.

I have not formatted the old drive yet to wipe it clean.

Winterhawk19, Oct 25, 2024 at 1:01 AM
  4. JimGDFW Win User

I cloned my OEM Win10 C Drive and it is running my new PC, but it needs reactivating. Can I...

Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive

I have a DIY desktop that I built in 2013 and installed (as I remember) win8. It has been automatically updating since then. It now has the latest version of Win10. I still runs well.

My problem is that the win10 C: SSD drive is too small (256GB). I purchased a larger 1TB SSD. I have successfully (without error messages) cloned all the files to the new 1TB drive. My old drive still boots.

When I enter BIOS and try to boot the new 1TB drive, I get a message saying BCD???? boot error is missing. In Disk Manager it is indicated that the new 1TB drive does not have the required BCD boot code installed. The old 256GB drive does.

I have searched and tried many ways to redo, reconfigure, etc. with no success.

Can anyone please provide references and/or input to correctly clone the new 1TB drive. I hope the answer is not that is required to re-install win10 and my many apps.

Thank you.

Jim Gunn

Thema:

1. I cloned my OEM Win10 C Drive and it is running my new PC, but it needs reactivating. Can I... - Similar Threads - cloned OEM Win10

2. I cloned my OEM Win10 C Drive and it is running my new PC, but it needs reactivating. Can I...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I cloned my OEM Win10 C Drive and it is running my new PC, but it needs reactivating. Can I...: My laptop came with OEM Win7 and was upgraded free to Win10. Recently the laptop was having some major issues so I built myself a new Desktop PC with all modern, brand new parts Z790 MB, 14th gen Intel CPU, Nvidia 4070 GPU etc. I cloned the laptops C drive and put it into the...
  3. I cloned my OEM Win10 C Drive and it is running my new PC, but it needs reactivating. Can I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cloned my OEM Win10 C Drive and it is running my new PC, but it needs reactivating. Can I...: My laptop came with OEM Win7 and was upgraded free to Win10. Recently the laptop was having some major issues so I built myself a new Desktop PC with all modern, brand new parts Z790 MB, 14th gen Intel CPU, Nvidia 4070 GPU etc. I cloned the laptops C drive and put it into the...
  4. I cloned and upgraded my C drive and now my D drive is missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I cloned and upgraded my C drive and now my D drive is missing: About a month ago I had bought a new C drive to upgrade my storage from 222gb to 1Tb. I managed to do so successfully but had only noticed today that my D drive is now missing. I am unsure if they are related but I cannot figure out if I accidentally partitioned them together...
  5. I cloned and upgraded my C drive and now my D drive is missing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I cloned and upgraded my C drive and now my D drive is missing: About a month ago I had bought a new C drive to upgrade my storage from 222gb to 1Tb. I managed to do so successfully but had only noticed today that my D drive is now missing. I am unsure if they are related but I cannot figure out if I accidentally partitioned them together...
  6. I need help cloning my hard drive.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I need help cloning my hard drive.: I need to send my Razer Blade laptop in for repair, but Razer has said they will wipe all data from my machine when they take it in. Before they do that, I want to clone my drive so that I can restore it when they send it back. Does anyone know how to clone a drive so that it...
  7. How can I clone my old hard drive to a new hard drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How can I clone my old hard drive to a new hard drive?: How can I clone my old laptop hard drive to a new hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-clone-my-old-hard-drive-to-a-new-hard/cd9498d2-e379-40c0-aef4-42328b6c428a
  8. I cloned my C: drive to my E: drive and i want to Format My C: drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I cloned my C: drive to my E: drive and i want to Format My C: drive: [ATTACH] I have already prioritized my PC to boot from my E: drive which has a copy of my windows 10. I used Samsung's Data Migration tool since both my C: and E: are both from Samsung to avoid any hiccups or discrepancies. I'm worried that formatting my C: drive may mess...
  9. Can I clone my drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I clone my drive?: I am building a new PC that I am performing a new install of Windows 10 Pro on. My old PC has Windows 10 Home, which was part of the free upgrade initiative the PC originally had Windows 8.1. Is it possible for me to just clone my drive or use the Windows File Transfer tool...
  10. Can I run a oem copy of windows on a new pc?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I run a oem copy of windows on a new pc?: I have a hp pavilion p6277c-b that I want to upgrade, I have a gtx 1050ti in it and I ran a test on MSI Afterburner and found out that in games my cpu bottle necks my gpu. I would like to upgrade my cpu and mother board but I don't want to buy a new version of windows. Could...