Windows 10: I am trying to take a folder off Read-Only status, but I can't.

Discus and support I am trying to take a folder off Read-Only status, but I can't. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have noticed with my C:/Users/*me*/AppData folder, I can not take anything off of Read-Only, despite needing to write to them. What can I do to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Josh Flitter, Mar 27, 2023.

1. I am trying to take a folder off Read-Only status, but I can't.

I have noticed with my C:/Users/*me*/AppData folder, I can not take anything off of Read-Only, despite needing to write to them. What can I do to change this?There is no error message, but every time I do turn it off within properties, it immediately reverts.I have tried contacting other people to help, most recently the BestBuy Geek Squad, and they gave me nothing.

:)

Josh Flitter, Mar 27, 2023

2. Moved a folder from another drive and rename and it still shows as the old folder name in certain places

Hi Nick,

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check the behavior.

• Create a new folder name it as 'My Videos'.
    • Now copy/cut and paste the contents which are in the folder "Videos", and delete the folder "Videos".
    • Now check the behavior.
    Please keep us updated with the status of the folder, to assist you further.

Regards,

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Mar 27, 2023
  3. Read only folder

Hi Jim,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

Before proceeding, we need more information to help you better.

• Do you want to change the permissions to certain program/folder?

• Have you signed in through Microsoft/Local account?

A read-only file is protected from accidental deletion and changes to its content.

Step 1: What is a read-only file or folder?

A read-only file is protected from accidental deletion and changes to its content. To change a file to read-only, right-click the file, and then click
    Properties. In the Properties dialog box, click the
    General tab, and then select the
    Read-only check box. To make changes to a read-only file, clear the
    Read-only check box, or save the file with a different name.

Step 2: Prevent changes to a file or folder (read-only)

Setting your important or personal files to read-only can help protect them from unintentional or unauthorized changes. When a file is set to read-only, it cannot be changed.

• Right-click the file or folder you want to set to read-only, and then click
      Properties.
    • Click the General tab, select the Read-only check box, and then click
      OK.
    If you need to make changes to the file or folder later, you can turn off the read-only setting by clearing the
    Read-only check box.

I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with this issue. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Mar 27, 2023
  4. I am trying to take a folder off Read-Only status, but I can't.

All Folders Read Only

All folders seem to be listed as Read Only.

Do not have third party antivirus.

Yes, I already checked Permissions and Ownership

Yes, I have already followed every tutorial and suggestion on this site.

GryffinDarkBred, Mar 27, 2023
Thema:

I am trying to take a folder off Read-Only status, but I can't.

1. I am trying to take a folder off Read-Only status, but I can't. - Similar Threads - trying folder off

2. I am trying to take a folder off Read-Only status, but I can't.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am trying to take a folder off Read-Only status, but I can't.: I have noticed with my C:/Users/*me*/AppData folder, I can not take anything off of Read-Only, despite needing to write to them. What can I do to change this?There is no error message, but every time I do turn it off within properties, it immediately reverts.I have tried...
  3. I am trying to take a folder off Read-Only status, but I can't.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I am trying to take a folder off Read-Only status, but I can't.: I have noticed with my C:/Users/*me*/AppData folder, I can not take anything off of Read-Only, despite needing to write to them. What can I do to change this?There is no error message, but every time I do turn it off within properties, it immediately reverts.I have tried...
  4. All of my folders are "read-only" and I can't untick it.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All of my folders are "read-only" and I can't untick it.: Every folder I've checked through its properties are ticked as "read-only", and I can't remove the black square. I tried going on the command prompt and typing these commands:• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth•...
  5. I am stuck in read-only all my folders and files

I am stuck in read-only all my folders and files: A black square is on all of my folders marking read-only. I have tried using TPM to maybe take it our of read-only mode by using Set-Disk or changing their file/folder permissions, and also check to see if DiskPart would work using the commands ATTRIBUTES or GPT to change...
  6. Can't take read only of files

Can't take read only of files: Hi i cant take read only off files. Can anyone help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-take-read-only-of-files/40ab6786-f6fb-4f4e-8f48-5a24a1d25ba1
  7. I cant take a file on my USB-Stick off of "read only" and can't delete it

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I cant take a file on my USB-Stick off of "read only" and can't delete it: PLease help, I cant delete a file off my stik because it alwas switches back to read only submitted by /u/-S-L-A-T-T- [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k1jdvf/i_cant_take_a_file_on_my_usbstick_off_of_read/
  8. Is the folder "Program Data" which is read-only safe to take off 'read-only'?

Is the folder "Program Data" which is read-only safe to take off 'read-only'?: I recently bought an application which came with a lot of bonus or extra material. I specifically bought this version of the application directly from their website in order to use the bonus or extra material. Problem is, the application does not read the files. I was able to...
  9. I can't take ANY of my data folders off READ ONLY.

I can't take ANY of my data folders off READ ONLY.: The title pretty much says it. It's a disaster for just saving my work, and screws with backups so badly that I've actually disconnected from the cloud. The read-only attribute gets copied with the folders. I've already checked my multiple backup disks, and nothing has been...
  10. Can't disable Read-Only on folders

Can't disable Read-Only on folders: When I try to disable Read-Only it just keep undoing my action I'v treid every solution from here:https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-folder-keeps-reverting-to-read-only-on-windows-10/ I really don't know what to do....