Windows 10: I am having random crashes with a reboot.

Discus and support I am having random crashes with a reboot. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I am having random crashes with a reboot. No warning computer acts as if someone hit the reset button. Can be doing anything, surfing, watching video,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Jon.athan, Oct 24, 2023.

1. Jon.athan Win User

I am having random crashes with a reboot.

I am having random crashes with a reboot. No warning computer acts as if someone hit the reset button. Can be doing anything, surfing, watching video, gaming.It had this behavior before I upgraded all this stuff. The memory upgrade was an attempt to rule memory errors.****************I was having random black screen crashes and system would reboot. It manifested as if someone hit the reset button. And it would reboot. But this would only happen when I gamed. Some gaming sessions it might not happen at all. But I knew my PSU was under powered for the above CPU/GPU combo. I finally had the money

:)

Jon.athan, Oct 24, 2023
  2. JoePerry Win User

Random crashes/reboots - PSU failling?

I'm concluding that's not a software issue but a hardware one, most likely being the PSU the culprit.

• Power supply in my area has always been very inconsistent in summer time, even experiencing several low voltage situations system wide, with surges making my PC to reboot automatically. Despite PSU's got it's own protection methods, exposing it to several days -and years overall- of unstable electric flow could've inflicted some damage on it. PSU is not near top of the line and it has 8 years of continuous usage (Sentey BRP700).

• I did have random, sporadic reboots over time on my system for a while, even while doing basic tasks (watching a YT video). None prove to be catastrophic until the other day.

• Since the "mayor crash" I experienced the other day while playing a game, that rendered my system unable to install AMD Drivers even on a fresh new copy of a clean Windows 10 , I did experience several random reboots using Microsoft Basic Display Adapter performing basic tasks;
      • At the time of the "mayor crash" I had latest AMD drivers installed and they were working just fine and no mayor Windows 10 updates were installed that day.

• Removing video card (AMD R7 265) and replacing it a Geforce GTS 540 for testing purposes also triggered random crashes and system's lock up (different behavior, but same result nonetheless = system crash). Even while using the Geforce the computer suffered TWO system crashes just by clicking on the "refresh" button on TechPowerUp GPU-Z app. Yet, the third, fourth, ... times I clicked refresh, system did not reboot.
      • Attachment 273658

• Weirdly enough FurMark stress on my CPU and the testing video card -Geforce GTS 540 with Nvidia drivers installed- didn't make my system crash. Yet, opening Chrome afterwards triggered a crash.
    I can't identify a system crash pattern.
    The only pattern is that when I try to install AMD drives for my R7 265 the system does crash. The rest of the reboots are random and not logical based on the system stress at the moment.

Despite inspecting the PSU -and computer in general- for failed capacitors, I really lack the know-how to effectively detect a bad one unless it's very obviously damaged.

Bottom line: I'm purchasing a new PC overall -time to upgrade anyways- and I expect this to solve my issue once and for all.

I really appreciate time invested in trying to help me, guys!

JoePerry, Oct 24, 2023
  3. diznanl Win User
    WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR - Random reboots and 0x124 error

Thanks, axe0

How do I explain what steps I took... I ran dm_log_collector.exe but not sure how results were actually acquired/interpreted.

I need to be able to explain steps I took and steps taken to reproduce.

Attachment 162250

thanks, in advance!

diznanl, Oct 24, 2023
  4. I am having random crashes with a reboot.

Random Reboots

I've had, as the title suggests, random reboots for the length of the time since I've built my computer (2 years roughly) and they're completely inexplicable.

It happens under no load, high load, watching movies, listening to music, playing games, browsing the web, sitting by itself in the room when the my sleeping monitor is even saying WTF?!

There aren't any Events to view other than the usual 0xC*D event when the service just shrugs at me.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Maybe someone has had the same problem before and it was just a loose molex connection? I'm baffled.

xstayxtruex, Oct 24, 2023
Thema:

I am having random crashes with a reboot.

1. I am having random crashes with a reboot. - Similar Threads - having random crashes

2. PC crashes and reboots randomly!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC crashes and reboots randomly!: I can't for the life of me figure out what's causing this issue. I did a clean install, and that seems to have somewhat worked because it went from 15-20 reboots per hour to 2, but it's still annoying.Here's the log:...
  3. PC crashes and reboots randomly!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC crashes and reboots randomly!: I can't for the life of me figure out what's causing this issue. I did a clean install, and that seems to have somewhat worked because it went from 15-20 reboots per hour to 2, but it's still annoying.Here's the log:...
  4. I am having random crashes with a reboot.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am having random crashes with a reboot.: I am having random crashes with a reboot. No warning computer acts as if someone hit the reset button. Can be doing anything, surfing, watching video, gaming.It had this behavior before I upgraded all this stuff. The memory upgrade was an attempt to rule memory...
  5. random reboots and program crashes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    random reboots and program crashes: not sure what is causing it i have checked my drivers and updated windows. i do a dumb file check and this is what it says* Preparing the environment for Debugger Extensions Gallery repositories ** ExtensionRepository : Implicit UseExperimentalFeatureForNugetShare : false...
  6. random reboots and program crashes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    random reboots and program crashes: not sure what is causing it i have checked my drivers and updated windows. i do a dumb file check and this is what it says* Preparing the environment for Debugger Extensions Gallery repositories ** ExtensionRepository : Implicit UseExperimentalFeatureForNugetShare : false...
  7. My PC Randomly Crashes and Reboots

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC Randomly Crashes and Reboots: This has been an ongoing issue for a while. It doesn't seem to matter what the task is that I am performing. Or what application or feature I am using. It does it sometimes when in use, and sometimes when I am away I come back to find my PC has rebooted. 1. I have tried...
  8. I am having issues and BSODs with ntoskrnl.exe. Computer crashes at random times and I...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I am having issues and BSODs with ntoskrnl.exe. Computer crashes at random times and I...: Hi there, I hope you are doing well.I've been having BSODs related to an issue with ntoskrnl.exe for a long time, and I do not know how to fix them. I have tried many things like updating my drivers, running a Memory Diagnostic Tool scan as well as a SFC/CHKDSK, I've done...
  9. Random Reboots / Crashes (AuthenticAMD)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Random Reboots / Crashes (AuthenticAMD): Hello, I have been having many random reboots / crashes while gaming lately. When I am gaming my game will freeze, then the screen will go black, then the sound will turn static, and my PC will reboot. I have figured out through the minidump file that this is being caused by...
  10. Computer Multiple crashes and reboots at random

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer Multiple crashes and reboots at random: My computer crashes completely at random, There is no blue screens at all just a reboot and I'm at my gigabyte's motherboard POST screen and back into windows before i know it. The chipset is the AMD 760g. My motherboard is the GA-78LMT-S2 Rev 1.2 by Gigabyte, I have 8GB ddr3...