Windows 10: Hyper-V Checkpoint revert accidentally: Can I recover original files?

Discus and support Hyper-V Checkpoint revert accidentally: Can I recover original files? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Today my VM popped up with "Do you want to revert to xx_xx_ date or continue?" I literally went to hit "Continue" but I've got an awkward setup and the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Kate Straka, Sep 21, 2024 at 9:27 PM.

1. Hyper-V Checkpoint revert accidentally: Can I recover original files?

Today my VM popped up with "Do you want to revert to xx_xx_ date or continue?" I literally went to hit "Continue" but I've got an awkward setup and the mouse is a little twitchy and it hit "revert". Which is an absolute catastrophe - the revert point was when the machine was first made. Now supposedly it had another checkpoint for today, but now that it's reverted, that check point is not available! ****. I have turned off the machine so that I have some kind of chance of using a recovery program to pull the files back out. Has anyone got any experience with this? Someone mentioned Recuva in a

:)

2. AmberRas Win User

Hyper V Checkpoint Error

Hi Sarjeant, as an Independent Advisor, I'd be happy to help.

This error generally suggests an issue related to permissions or availability of storage where the checkpoint (also known as snapshot) is being stored. Here are some steps to investigate and potentially solve this issue:

1. Check Permissions: Ensure that the account used by Veeam to back up the VMs has appropriate permissions on the Hyper-V host, and specifically to the directory where the VM's disks and configuration files are stored. This account typically needs full control or administrative access to these resources.

2. Check Storage Space: Ensure that there is sufficient storage space on the disk where the VM's files are stored. When a checkpoint is created, Hyper-V needs to create an .avhdx file which can grow as large as the disk it is shadowing. If there isn't enough space, the operation will fail.

3. Check NTFS Rights: Ensure that the system and the account used by Veeam to back up the VMs have full control over the VM's folder and all its files. You can check this by right-clicking on the folder, going to "Properties", selecting the "Security" tab, and then checking the permissions.

4. Check Antivirus or Security Software: Sometimes, antivirus or security software can interfere with Veeam's ability to back up VMs. You might need to adjust the settings of these programs to exclude the directories where your VM's files are stored.

5. Reconfigure VM Storage Path: If permissions seem correct, and there's enough space on the storage device, it could help to try moving the VM storage to a different location, creating a checkpoint manually, and then moving it back.

6. Reset the VM: As a last resort, if none of the above steps solve the issue, you could export the VM, completely remove it from Hyper-V, and then import it again. Be sure to take necessary steps to avoid data loss, and only try this if you're comfortable with managing Hyper-V at this level.

Remember, any time you are troubleshooting, it's wise to proceed carefully, documenting your steps, and ensuring you have recent backups before making any changes. If you're not comfortable with any of these steps, you should contact a local IT service provider or continue working with Veeam support.

3. GalaxyGe Win User
    Hyper-V doesn't delete checkpoint files

It certainly does delete them if you use PowerShell with administrator privileges. I've had issues with Hyper-V Manager myself, but didn't find out the reasons.

more discussion about checkpoints are here: Create and Use Hyper-V Checkpoints in Windows 10 Virtualization Tutorials

4. KabyBlue Win User

Hyper-V Checkpoint revert accidentally: Can I recover original files?

Hyper-V doesn't delete checkpoint files

Is it normal for Hyper-V to not delete the original checkpoint files when the reference/restore point is deleted in the Hyper-V manager?

I am just getting my feet wet in the Hyper-V realm and noticed that the AVHDX files take space on my PC even after deleting the checkpoint -- until I manually remove them. Seems rather counterintuitive. Also, can anyone tell me what exactly are VMRS and VMXC files used for? I see them in my Virtual Machines folder.

Thnx

Hyper-V Checkpoint revert accidentally: Can I recover original files? 168687d1513617621t-hyper-v-doesnt-delete-checkpoint-files-capturenew.jpg

Thema:

Hyper-V Checkpoint revert accidentally: Can I recover original files?

1. Hyper-V Checkpoint revert accidentally: Can I recover original files? - Similar Threads - Hyper Checkpoint revert

2. Hyper-V Checkpoint revert accidentally: Can I recover original files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V Checkpoint revert accidentally: Can I recover original files?: Today my VM popped up with "Do you want to revert to xx_xx_ date or continue?" I literally went to hit "Continue" but I've got an awkward setup and the mouse is a little twitchy and it hit "revert". Which is an absolute catastrophe - the revert point was when the machine was...
  3. Hyper V Checkpoint Error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper V Checkpoint Error: Hi,We are using Veeam to backup our Virtual machine and recently we moved VM's to another server ever since then we are not able to backup those VMs. I contacted Veeam support and they said it's a error related to Checkpoint since VMs is giving error when creating manual...
  4. Hyper V Checkpoint Error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper V Checkpoint Error: Hi,We are using Veeam to backup our Virtual machine and recently we moved VM's to another server ever since then we are not able to backup those VMs. I contacted Veeam support and they said it's a error related to Checkpoint since VMs is giving error when creating manual...
  5. Hyper-V Windows License Activation & Checkpoints

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hyper-V Windows License Activation & Checkpoints: I've made a VM in Hyper-V for Windows 10 Enterprise. In the bottom right it says the license is valid for 90 days and I've created a checkpoint after I ran all the latest updates. My question: if it comes down to day 1, can I just restore the checkpoint and I'll be back up to...
  6. Hyper-V Windows License Activation & Checkpoints

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V Windows License Activation & Checkpoints: I've made a VM in Hyper-V for Windows 10 Enterprise. In the bottom right it says the license is valid for 90 days and I've created a checkpoint after I ran all the latest updates. My question: if it comes down to day 1, can I just restore the checkpoint and I'll be back up to...
  7. Hyper-V Windows License Activation & Checkpoints

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Can't show Checkpoint in Hyper-V manager

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't show Checkpoint in Hyper-V manager: I have created Checkpoint, but I can't find it in Hyper-V Manager. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-show-checkpoint-in-hyper-v-manager/2a810e7f-b92c-4642-907c-dea5e68e2ce5
  9. Hyper-V doesn't delete checkpoint files

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V doesn't delete checkpoint files: Is it normal for Hyper-V to not delete the original checkpoint files when the reference/restore point is deleted in the Hyper-V manager? I am just getting my feet wet in the Hyper-V realm and noticed that the AVHDX files take space on my PC even after deleting the...
  10. Create and Use Hyper-V Checkpoints in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create and Use Hyper-V Checkpoints in Windows 10: How to: Create and Use Hyper-V Checkpoints in Windows 10 How to Create and Use Hyper-V Checkpoints in Windows 10 [img] Note Checkpoint is a powerful Hyper-V feature to easily undo all changes on a virtual machine. You can play with virtual machines testing apps,...