Windows 10: How to switch C: and D: drive

Discus and support How to switch C: and D: drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all! I have this weird problem where my C: drive is de HDD and the SSD in my system is the D: drive. Yesterday I used the paid version of AOMEI to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by StafClaes, Jan 29, 2021.

1. StafClaes Win User

How to switch C: and D: drive

Hi all!

I have this weird problem where my C: drive is de HDD and the SSD in my system is the D: drive.

Yesterday I used the paid version of AOMEI to clone the Windows 10 system to the SSD.
    That worked for the evening.

Today, when I booted my system up, everything was back to the way it was.
    It booted very slowly from my HDD and in 'my computer' you clearly see the Windows icon on the C: drive.

Since both internal drives now hold the Windows information I thought I could just take the HDD out of my system.
    When I did that Windows completely refused to start up again.

How can I make the D: drive SSD the main drive from which my heavier apps like Premiere start up?

Thanks in advance!

:)

StafClaes, Jan 29, 2021

2. Boot error INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE, drive letters C: and D: switched

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I did as suggested, but it did not solve the problem.

Not sure from which drive I'm supposed to execute the commands and if this matters at all. When entering command prompt mode, I was on drive X: and can change to C: and D:, I executed first on C:, then on D:, with same result:

BOOTREC /FIXMBR -> process completed

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT -> access denied

BOOTREC /scanos -> 0 Windows installations found

BOOTREC /rebuildbcd -> 0 Windows installations found

As indicated in my original post, drive letters C: (was originally the SSD with Windows and program installations) and D: (was originally the HDD holding data) have somehow switched. When I go to C: in command prompt and execute DIR, it shows me all the
    content that was supposed to be on D: and vice versa.

That means, I can find the Windows directory that was supposed on C: under drive letter D: now, which might be a symptom of the issue, or the root cause.

So might it help to switch back drive letters C: and D:, and how can this be done?

Thanks and regards.

Wolfgang Soundso, Jan 29, 2021
  3. Switching C: and D: drives

Summary: In my file explorer, two drives appear. My C drive, where my Windows 10 OS is installed, and my D drive. My C drive is 476 (500) GB, my D drive is 1.8 (2) TB. I would like to switch my C and D drives so the 2TB hard drive is my default, where my
    OS is installed, etc. My C drive currently has 290 GB used and 186 unused.

Notes: The D drive does not appear under Settings/Storage - only my C drive appears here. Both drives appear in the Task Manager, labelled "Disk 0 (CHow to switch C: and D: drive :)" and "Disk 1 (DHow to switch C: and D: drive :)" which leads me to believe these are physically separate disks, not
    partitions - but I could be wrong, please clarify this. To be clear, I cannot see any data stored on my D: drive. Though Task Manager/Performance/Disk 1 says "Formatted: 1.8 TB", when you select the D: drive in File Explorer it states the drive is not
    formatted and must be formatted before it can be accessed, then asks if I would like to format the disk (I have not done so). I am willing to reset my computer; all of my files are saved to the cloud and I am in the process of creating a USB recovery drive
    as I type this.

Questions: Is this possible? Is this worthwhile? If both possible and worthwhile, how do I do it?

Specifications:

1. This is an ASUS Q530U laptop (not to be confused with the Q530UX or Q530UZ). That is the sticker on the outside of the laptop. Inside the Settings/About it says "Q534UXK". I am not entirely sure why this discrepancy exists but I would trust the sticker
    first.

2. Intel core processor: i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70 GHz 2.90 GHz with 2 cores and 4 logical processors. (not overclocked manually but I often see it running between 3.0-3.4 GHz) Also noteworthy is that in the Task Manager, the system recognizes it to have a base
    speed of 2.90 GHz. I am not sure why the 2.70 GHz is included in the name of the processor but nobody truly understands Intel's naming system, so.

3. 16.0 GB RAM, 15.9 usable, 2133 MHz

4. Two graphics cards on board, the Intel(R) HD Graphics 620 and NVIDIA GeForce GTX950M

5. See summary for drive information

RileyBuhrow, Jan 29, 2021
  4. ne0nn0se Win User

C: Drive and D: Drive files switched after upgrade

How to switch C: and D: drive [​IMG]

How to switch C: and D: drive [​IMG]

All of my downloaded programs are located in the D: Drive

ne0nn0se, Jan 29, 2021
Thema:

1. How to switch C: and D: drive - Similar Threads - switch drive

2. Windows boot manager and hard drive disappeared after switching from Legacy to UEFI Bios

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows boot manager and hard drive disappeared after switching from Legacy to UEFI Bios: I have an issue when I change the Dell bios from Legacy to UEFI.I want to rebuild the system using DISM as we are doing mass deployments using network PXE boot.When I set Bios to UEFI boot manager does not show up and when I tried to add it, I get an error that the file...
  3. Windows boot manager and hard drive disappeared after switching from Legacy to UEFI Bios

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows boot manager and hard drive disappeared after switching from Legacy to UEFI Bios: I have an issue when I change the Dell bios from Legacy to UEFI.I want to rebuild the system using DISM as we are doing mass deployments using network PXE boot.When I set Bios to UEFI boot manager does not show up and when I tried to add it, I get an error that the file...
  4. Windows boot manager and hard drive disappeared after switching from Legacy to UEFI Bios

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. I can't switch 'Where new content is saved' apps from my C drive to my D drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't switch 'Where new content is saved' apps from my C drive to my D drive.: I tried installing a game Age of Mythology from the Xbox App onto my D drive. However, it wouldn't let me, I got an error code: 0x80070005So I tried going into the Settings of the Xbox app, to change my default installation path from my C drive to D drive. It would change,...
  6. I can't switch 'Where new content is saved' apps from my C drive to my D drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't switch 'Where new content is saved' apps from my C drive to my D drive.: I tried installing a game Age of Mythology from the Xbox App onto my D drive. However, it wouldn't let me, I got an error code: 0x80070005So I tried going into the Settings of the Xbox app, to change my default installation path from my C drive to D drive. It would change,...
  7. I can't switch 'Where new content is saved' apps from my C drive to my D drive.

8. win 11 drive LED show action of drive and windows switch PC off. it should wait a little...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    win 11 drive LED show action of drive and windows switch PC off. it should wait a little...: there happen sometimes bluescreens sometimes USB devices get lost. the problem is only since some time. i hear click of relais that power supply switch off and drive led stay on and get soon darker until it switch off complete. i use pc power buttton to go to standby and...
  9. win 11 drive LED show action off drive and windows switch PC off. it should wait a little...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    win 11 drive LED show action off drive and windows switch PC off. it should wait a little...: there happen sometimes bluescreens sometimes USB devices get lost. the problem is only since some time. i hear click of relais that power supply switch off and drive led stay on and get soon darker until it switch off complete. i use pc power buttton to go to standby and...
  10. win 11 drive LED show action of drive and windows switch PC off. it should wait a little...

win 11 drive LED show action of drive and windows switch PC off. it should wait a little...: there happen sometimes bluescreens sometimes USB devices get lost. the problem is only since some time. i hear click of relais that power supply switch off and drive led stay on and get soon darker until it switch off complete. i use pc power buttton to go to standby and...