Windows 10: How to separate Desktop folder from Onedrive Folder?

Discus and support How to separate Desktop folder from Onedrive Folder? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I merged my desktop folder with my Onedrive folder accidentally. please help me how to separate them as lots of documents present in the onedrive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Sudipto Mukherjee, Aug 25, 2023.

1. How to separate Desktop folder from Onedrive Folder?

I merged my desktop folder with my Onedrive folder accidentally. please help me how to separate them as lots of documents present in the onedrive folder is visible on desktop.

:)

Sudipto Mukherjee, Aug 25, 2023

2. OneDrive moved my Desktop into a OneDrive folder and removed Google Drive

To revert the shell folder locations to default, open OneDrive and do the following:

Important: Before proceeding, copy the files in those special folders to another folder or external drive. Please don’t copy them anywhere under Desktop/Documents/Pictures. This is because disabling OneDrive backup for a folder would erase the local copies of the files. Copying them to a different location beforehand will ensure that you don’t need to download them again from the OneDrive cloud.

1. Right-click the OneDrive icon in the Notification area and click Settings.
    2. Select the Backup tab, and click Manage Backup
    3. In the Manage folder backup dialog, click on the Stop backup link under the special folder (Desktop, Documents, or Pictures)
    4. Click Stop backup in the confirmation dialog that appears.
    5. Repeat the step for each shell folder you want to revert to the original location.

See also:

Ramesh Srinivasan, Aug 25, 2023
  3. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused How to separate Desktop folder from Onedrive Folder? :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well How to separate Desktop folder from Onedrive Folder? :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Aug 25, 2023
  4. TarAn_D Win User

How to separate Desktop folder from Onedrive Folder?

Move the OneDrive Folder

Move the OneDrive Folder in Windows 10

When you set up OneDrive to sync with your computer, a folder C:\Users\XXXX\OneDrive will be created to store the contents. XXXX denotes your username. To move this folder to another location follow these simple steps:

1. Unlink OneDrive from your PC:

• Go to the taskbar notification area
    • Right-click on the OneDrive icon
    • Select settings
    • Click: Unlink this PC
    2. Delete the C:\Users\XXXX\OneDrive folder

3. Create a new folder (target folder) for OneDrive contents, e.g. D:\OneDrive

4. Create Directory Junction for the new folder

• In the search area of the taskbar type CMD and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter
    • In the command window type
    mklink /J C:\Users\XXXX\OneDrive D:\OneDrive

adjusting it to your specific username and selection of the target folder

5. Link again OneDrive to your PC using the OneDrive icon in the taskbar notification area

TarAn_D, Aug 25, 2023
Thema:

How to separate Desktop folder from Onedrive Folder?

1. How to separate Desktop folder from Onedrive Folder? - Similar Threads - separate Desktop folder

2. OneDrive : How to not sync a folder into OneDrive Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive : How to not sync a folder into OneDrive Folder: Hello,I have a question, I actually use 2 computers, with my Documents folder synced with OneDrive, all works, it's perfect.But, I have in my Documents, a folder with save file from a game that I play on the 2 computers, and I cant change save directory.It is possible to...
  3. OneDrive : How to not sync a folder into OneDrive Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive : How to not sync a folder into OneDrive Folder: Hello,I have a question, I actually use 2 computers, with my Documents folder synced with OneDrive, all works, it's perfect.But, I have in my Documents, a folder with save file from a game that I play on the 2 computers, and I cant change save directory.It is possible to...
  4. How to move Desktop folder out of Onedrive?

How to move Desktop folder out of Onedrive?: Hello,I've asked Onedrive to stop syncingmy desktop and I want me old C:\users...... desktop folder since it is also where the files are stored when I drop something into the desktop.I tried going to properties clicking on Onedrive's desktop folder and changing to default or...
  5. How to separate Desktop folder from Onedrive Folder?

How to separate Desktop folder from Onedrive Folder?: I merged my desktop folder with my Onedrive folder accidentally. please help me how to separate them as lots of documents present in the onedrive folder is visible on desktop....
  6. Desktop linked to Onedrive folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop linked to Onedrive folder: I was recently attempting to link one drive folders for multiple user access and seem to have changed the way my desktop saves. Now whenever I save to the actual desktop ie right click create new folder on the actual screen, it saves to onedrive. I would like to change this...
  7. Onedrive folder how to restore from the onedrive folder to my user folder?

Onedrive folder how to restore from the onedrive folder to my user folder?: I removed/uninstalled OneDrive but I still have a OneDrive folder and most of my files are in that folder including my documents, pics and desktop. While my computer seems to work okay can I restore the location of these files in my user folder rather than in the OneDrive...
  8. Desktop folder is in OneDrive

Desktop folder is in OneDrive: I got a new PC and going through the windows explorer I discovered that the desktop folder is placed in OneDrive subfolder rather than directly in users folder . Is there any way I can move it back to C:/Users/<User> [ATTACH]...
  9. onedrive/win 10 how to display user desktop from user folder and not desktop in onedrive folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    onedrive/win 10 how to display user desktop from user folder and not desktop in onedrive folder: I have a one drive folder on the C:\ drive. My pc desktop is displaying the desktop from onedrive and not my desktop from my user desktop folder Can I change this without deleting onedrive from my system...
  10. Desktop folder in OneDrive

Desktop folder in OneDrive: I got a new laptop and going through the windows explorer I discovered that the desktop folder is placed in OneDrive subfolder rather than directly in users folder . Is there any way I can move it back to C:/Users/<User> Hope for a quick reply....