Windows 10: How to safely remove user folder from desktop?

Discus and support How to safely remove user folder from desktop? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello,I've recently upgraded my graphics card GTX 2080 to a 3070 after my last one died. I've now noticed that there is a folder with my name on it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by CalebKissiah, Sep 3, 2023.

1. How to safely remove user folder from desktop?

Hello,I've recently upgraded my graphics card GTX 2080 to a 3070 after my last one died. I've now noticed that there is a folder with my name on it sitting on my desktop. When I open it up, it holds all the same files that my user file does on my C drive. If I go to my users folder in my local C drive, I can see the folder for my user still sitting there.If I copy the path of the new desktop folder, it has the same path as if I had copied the path of my user folder on my local C drive. Both read as: "C:\Users\xxxxx"I tried just moving the desktop folder to my recycle bin, but the file is mas

:)

CalebKissiah, Sep 3, 2023
  2. Try3 Win User

Can I safely remove Administrators, Authenticated Users, System, Users

Make a system image then try it and see how it behaves.

Given that you are so safety conscious that you blocked out part of your computer name in your diagram, why are you even considering this extraordinary step? In other words, what benefit do you hope to gain?

If this is something about setting up a home network then I'd suggest, at most, sharing your C:\Users\YourUserName folder instead of the whole drive.

All the best,
    Denis

Try3, Sep 3, 2023
  3. Removing a "hidden" user and user files

Thanks for your patience. I was able with "Net User" to remove the left over user. It no longer appears when I invoke Net User.

Now for the user's folder which remains behind. After performing the series of steps that you suggested, I attempted to delete this folder. The result again was an error message about permission
    How to safely remove user folder from desktop? 1579d3b5-d6d3-4481-ad8c-0dae5f689a1a.jpg

"Administrators" appears on the list in the list of advanced security.

RobertOBollinger, Sep 3, 2023
  4. How to safely remove user folder from desktop?

Desktop User folder in ThisPC has a Downloads icon.

KeithM,

1) Firstly, the problem is solved. See snips below.

2) I deleted the folders you suggested below. I would have deleted the "GUID-named values from the User Shell Folders registry key" earlier, but wasn't sure how to proceed after the red code error. Thank you for suggesting to continue to delete those.

[Then, you can safely delete the following GUID-named values from the User Shell Folders registry key:
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders]

• {754AC886-DF64-4CBA-86B5-F7FBF4FBCEF5} ThisPCDesktopFolder
    • {f42ee2d3-909f-4907-8871-4c22fc0bf756} Local Documents
    • {7d83ee9b-2244-4e70-b1f5-5393042af1e4} Local Downloads
    • {a0c69a99-21c8-4671-8703-7934162fcf1d} Local Music
    • {0ddd015d-b06c-45d5-8c4c-f59713854639} Local Pictures
    • {35286a68-3c57-41a1-bbb1-0eae73d76c95} Local Videos

3) After deleting the above, I still had the Desktop Folder in ThisPC with the Downloads icon. I went back to the Add/Remove through Add or Remove Folders from This PC - TenForumsTutorials, removed and added the Desktop Folder, and after restarting my laptop, everything was correct? I was a little hopeful when I tried it, but was surprised when everything fell into place and all folders were showing in ThisPC with the correct icons. I felt that this was my only recourse, after trying the many things that you had suggested.

4) I was unaware of the Read Only poisoned apple Microsoft had created Keith. I'm glad that I've not had to work with it!

5) I applied "Expand to Current Folder" per your suggestion, if you happen to read this Denis. Thank you for the tip.

Thank you immensely for your help here on TenForums. For your sake, I'm glad that this little problem has been resolved. I can't thank you enough! Cindi

Ken Cindi G, Sep 3, 2023
Thema:

How to safely remove user folder from desktop?

1. How to safely remove user folder from desktop? - Similar Threads - safely remove user

2. How to remove Desktop folder from Videos folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove Desktop folder from Videos folder?: I accidentally dragged my Desktop into my Videos folder, so now in my file path I see Desktop in the Videos folder which is annoying and I also worry it will complicate OneDrive. How can I restore it to where Desktop is a standalone thing, like Documents, Downloads, Pictures,...
  3. How to remove Desktop folder from Videos folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove Desktop folder from Videos folder?: I accidentally dragged my Desktop into my Videos folder, so now in my file path I see Desktop in the Videos folder which is annoying and I also worry it will complicate OneDrive. How can I restore it to where Desktop is a standalone thing, like Documents, Downloads, Pictures,...
  4. How to safely remove user folder from desktop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to safely remove user folder from desktop?: Hello,I've recently upgraded my graphics card GTX 2080 to a 3070 after my last one died. I've now noticed that there is a folder with my name on it sitting on my desktop. When I open it up, it holds all the same files that my user file does on my C drive. If I go to my users...
  5. How to remove default folders from desktop?

How to remove default folders from desktop?: Hello guys,last week I bought this laptop, since I turned it on I saw these folders thereI've been trying to look for videos related but I haven't find anythingcan you help me please ?I would like to remove them from my desktop, they are not shortcutsthe home, desktop,...
  6. How to remove a user folder from desktop

How to remove a user folder from desktop: Hello,After updating my windows to the newest version, a desktop icon was created with the folder which is normally found in C:\UsersThis folder cannot be manually deleted. How can I remove it? Note that the same folder is also found in C:\Users but the one in desktop is not...
  7. How to remove a user folder from desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove a user folder from desktop: Hello,After updating my windows to the newest version, a desktop icon was created with the folder which is normally found in C:\UsersThis folder cannot be manually deleted. How can I remove it? Note that the same folder is also found in C:\Users but the one in desktop is not...
  8. Is it safe to remove my unused user folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it safe to remove my unused user folder?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Getta537 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/m3cbwj/is_it_safe_to_remove_my_unused_user_folder/
  9. How to remove folders from desktop (background)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to remove folders from desktop (background): For some reason there is a folder on the background when before it was just by browser. I tried to delete it but it got rid of the folder all together and not just removing it from the background. Anyway to fix this? Sorry I don't know the terminology submitted by...
  10. How to remove 'ghost' folder from desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    How to remove 'ghost' folder from desktop: Hi, i just got a folder looking icon on my desktop and i cant delete it . A screenshot snap is on drop box link below. It cant be archived or move to recycle bin or other folder, but can only be pin to Quick Access in explorer. Tried to delete from cmd prompt but not...