Windows 10: How to reset pc after using mbr2gpt to get uefi on an unsupported system

Discus and support How to reset pc after using mbr2gpt to get uefi on an unsupported system in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; HeyI tried using mbr2gpt to change legacy to uefi to play valorant on an unsupported system didnt know this at the time. The system is a dell optiplex... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Kelonski, Jul 6, 2024.

1. Kelonski Win User

How to reset pc after using mbr2gpt to get uefi on an unsupported system

HeyI tried using mbr2gpt to change legacy to uefi to play valorant on an unsupported system didnt know this at the time. The system is a dell optiplex 790. Im currently stuck where whenever i boot my pc it goes into saying press any key to reboot. I can go into bios and diagnostics and stuff but my main question is how do I fully reset my pc from hereThanks,Kelon

:)

Kelonski, Jul 6, 2024

2. Unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware

Yes. Just download the Media Creation Tool and it will let you download an ISO file for the current version of Windows 10 (version 1709, build 16299.15). You can also have the Tool directly create a bootable USB stick with version 1709 of Windows on it.
    If you already have this ISO file, a utility called Rufus can be used to create a bootable USB stick (8GB minimum size thumb drive required). http://rufus.akeo.ie

The steps to fix things will be:

• first create the UEFI-bootable USB stick (it will have a FAT32 format, rather than NTFS) using Rufus or Media Creation Tool
    • Restart the computer and tap F2 to enter BIOS. Switch to UEFI mode. Leave Secure Boot disabled for now if that is an option.
    • Exit and it will restart with the bootable thumb drive inserted. This time try tapping F12 which usually gives a boot menu. The USB should show up in the list, if it has been created right for UEFI.
    • Once Windows Setup loads the first screen, use SHIFT-F10 to get a Command Prompt window.
    • Now we can try to run MBR2GPT to convert the disk.
    • First, MBR2GPT can validate that conversion is possible:
      • mbr2gpt /validate
      • assuming it validates OK:
        • mbr2gpt /convert
    • Type exit to return to the Windows setup screen or just close the Command Prompt window.
    • Cancel Windows setup by closing the setup window and let the computer restart to your existing Windows build 10240
    • Once back in Windows, your disk should now be capable of upgrading to build 1709.
    • Version 1803 of Windows 10 will be released this month or in April. If you want to wait to upgrade directly to that, it would be fine to do that. Meanwhile, you are now running in UEFI mode. There is a chance that you might be auto-upgraded
      by Windows Update to version 1709 anyway, so upgrading now is fine too.
    • To upgrade now, from within Windows run setup.exe from your mounted ISO file or USB stick. Do not boot from the install media to upgrade.
    • You can also now tap F2 during boot to enter BIOS and enable Secure Boot

Don Cuthbert, Jul 6, 2024
  3. Niko Bono Win User
    Enabling Secure Boot to update to Windows 11

Hi, I appreciate it. I already followed the BIOS steps given by the ASUS website guide. My boot option is set to UEFI instead of "Other OS". Just went over into msinfo32 as the guide suggested and it says secure boot state is unsupported. I read somewhere that I need to convert my boot drive from MBR to GPT, when attempting this in CMD I got read out: "MBR2GPT: Failed to update ReAgent.xml, please try to manually disable and enable WinRE.

MBR2GPT: Before the new system can boot properly you need to switch the firmware to boot to UEFI mode!" What should I do?

Niko Bono, Jul 6, 2024
  4. RonHajaj Win User

MBR2GPT fails with error - Cannot find room for the EFI system partition.

Hi,

Would love to get some help

I'm trying to install the new Win10 update but then I get this error: "windows can't be installed because this pc has an unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware"

Afterward I run MBR2GPT run it in WINPE but I get this error: "cannot find room for the EFI system partition"

I have two partitions on this disk: 1. System. 2. Recovery and 100mb unallocated.

When I try to shrink volume on Disk Management I get 0 size of available shrink space in MB.

The disk has plenty of free space though.

Any ideas?

RonHajaj, Jul 6, 2024
Thema:

1. How to reset pc after using mbr2gpt to get uefi on an unsupported system - Similar Threads - reset using mbr2gpt

2. How to reset pc after using mbr2gpt to get uefi on an unsupported system

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to reset pc after using mbr2gpt to get uefi on an unsupported system: HeyI tried using mbr2gpt to change legacy to uefi to play valorant on an unsupported system didnt know this at the time. The system is a dell optiplex 790. Im currently stuck where whenever i boot my pc it goes into saying press any key to reboot. I can go into bios and...
  3. How to reset pc after using mbr2gpt to get uefi on an unsupported system

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to reset pc after using mbr2gpt to get uefi on an unsupported system: HeyI tried using mbr2gpt to change legacy to uefi to play valorant on an unsupported system didnt know this at the time. The system is a dell optiplex 790. Im currently stuck where whenever i boot my pc it goes into saying press any key to reboot. I can go into bios and...
  4. Secureboot unsupported with uefi and gpt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Secureboot unsupported with uefi and gpt: For some reason Secure boot is unsupported even though i have uefi and gpt I just wanna upgrade to windows 11 man https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/secureboot-unsupported-with-uefi-and-gpt/4ecbea94-66a5-4900-8727-902125e0b6df
  5. Secureboot unsupported with uefi and gpt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Secureboot unsupported with uefi and gpt: For some reason Secure boot is unsupported even though i have uefi and gpt I just wanna upgrade to windows 11 man https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/secureboot-unsupported-with-uefi-and-gpt/4ecbea94-66a5-4900-8727-902125e0b6df
  6. Secureboot unsupported with uefi and gpt

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware: I wasn't able to update my windows because it stated that the disk layout was unsupported. I have 1903 but have no idea what to do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unsupported-disk-layout-for-uefi-firmware/5db915ea-310f-48ea-9fad-6dd8b0409a91
  8. Unsupported Disk Layout for UEFI firmware

Unsupported Disk Layout for UEFI firmware: 1803 will nt install. I get an error message saying I have an unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware. The OS is on an MBR disk. Does this mean I have to make it a GPT? 110420
  9. Unsupported Disk Layout for UEFI Firmware

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Unsupported Disk Layout for UEFI Firmware: BIOS is set to boot Legacy. Here are the two prior threads getting me from being patently annoyed with 1703 being chronically hung on a quality update to where I am now. The first one is a long read and the summary is, lots of trainwreckage, machine boots in Legacy....
  10. Help using MBR2GPT on my system

Help using MBR2GPT on my system: I've been trying to install Windows 1607 as a dual boot, thread How to downgrade Windows 10 from 1709 to 1607 - Windows 10 Forums. The question came up about converting from MBR to GPT. It's not working for me. I want to make a separate thread for this particular problem....