Windows 10: How to reformat USB Flash Drive when it says "There is no media"?

Discus and support How to reformat USB Flash Drive when it says "There is no media"? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; For some particular reason, my USB doesn't seem to be detected on my PC. Whenever I double-click it, it'll always say "There is no media. Insert a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Rhean Gabriel Beciete, Mar 31, 2023.

1. How to reformat USB Flash Drive when it says "There is no media"?

For some particular reason, my USB doesn't seem to be detected on my PC. Whenever I double-click it, it'll always say "There is no media. Insert a disk, then try again."

:)

Rhean Gabriel Beciete, Mar 31, 2023
  2. zbook Win User

How to reformat USB Recovery Drive

Part of the commands and results were missing from the image.

Open adminstrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk #
    (replace # with the disk number for the flash drive)
    attributes disk clear readonly
    exit

If the above steps work then you are set.
    If the above steps fail then view this link for additional troubleshooting steps:
    How to Format Read-only USB Drive Successfully?

zbook, Mar 31, 2023
  3. mikel33 Win User
    USB Flash Drive saying not formatted..?

Hi,

I have a Memorex Poker Chip USB Flash Drive 1GB, and It shows up fine on one PC as "Poker Chip" in explore, and I can transfer files... but on my other PC (the one I'm on now..specs in profile) it's listed only as H: Removable Disk, and when I click on it, it says: "The Device is not formatted, would you like to format it now? (Y/N). Why would it be recognized on one PC, but the not the other? How come the other PC didn't need it formatted? When I click yes to format it, it says: "Windows was unable to complete the format"

I went to the BIOS and USB 2.0 is enabled. And Device Manager does list it as a Memorex Poker Chip..

mikel33, Mar 31, 2023
  4. Ztruker Win User

How to reformat USB Flash Drive when it says "There is no media"?

Failed Media Creation Tool attempt at bootable USB flash drive

Shawn, these are the steps being referred to that NavyLCDR posted. They work for both UEFI and MBR.

Here are the steps to create a standard Windows 10 USB flash drive:

1. Use the Media Creation Tool to download and save the ISO file to your hard drive.
    2. Insert the USB flash drive.
    3. Open a Administrator Command Prompt and enter: diskpart (if it isn't an administrator command prompt, it will ask for administrator permission).
    4. list disk
    5. select disk # <- replace # with the actual disk number of the USB flash drive
    6. clean <- this will erase the disk selected above, make sure you selected the USB flash drive!
    7. create part pri
    8. format fs=fat32 quick
    9. active
    10. exit
    11. exit - and if the first Command Prompt was not an Administrator Command Prompt, exit that one too.
    11. Mount the ISO file saved by the Media Creation Tool. If you are using Windows 8 or 10, you only have to right click on it and click on mount. If you are using Windows 7, then you must use a program like WinCDEmu to mount the ISO file:
    WinCDEmu - the easiest way to mount an ISO. And more...
    12. Copy all the files and folders from the mounted ISO file to the USB flash drive.

That's as simple as it gets. Between steps 7 and 8 you can enter: "select part 1" without quotes - but it should not be necessary.
    Between steps 8 and 9 you can enter: "assign" without quotes - but it should not be necessary.

Ztruker, Mar 31, 2023
Thema:

How to reformat USB Flash Drive when it says "There is no media"?

1. How to reformat USB Flash Drive when it says "There is no media"? - Similar Threads - reformat USB Flash

2. how to USB flash drive installation media

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to USB flash drive installation media: Create installation media USB flash drive, DVD or ISO file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-usb-flash-drive-installation-media/41a6beb2-5ea2-44ba-a938-8c094f6c0e35
  3. how to USB flash drive installation media

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to USB flash drive installation media: Create installation media USB flash drive, DVD or ISO file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-usb-flash-drive-installation-media/41a6beb2-5ea2-44ba-a938-8c094f6c0e35
  4. How to reformat USB Flash Drive when it says "There is no media"?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to reformat USB Flash Drive when it says "There is no media"?: For some particular reason, my USB doesn't seem to be detected on my PC. Whenever I double-click it, it'll always say "There is no media. Insert a disk, then try again."...
  5. How to reformat USB Flash Drive when it says "There is no media"?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to reformat USB Flash Drive when it says "There is no media"?: For some particular reason, my USB doesn't seem to be detected on my PC. Whenever I double-click it, it'll always say "There is no media. Insert a disk, then try again."...
  6. USB flash drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB flash drive: Hello, I just purchased a PNY USB flash drive. After connecting it to my PC, I noticed there is 34mb of unallocated space on it. Can anyone explain the reason for this? Please see screen shot below. If I want to allocate this 34mb space and make the USB flash drive have one...
  7. Can I reformat the USB flash drive that comes with Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I reformat the USB flash drive that comes with Windows 10: I have a question Can I use Windows media creation tool to make a more up to date install drive with the USB flash drive that comes with Windows 10? Edit: And use the same Windows 10 serial. submitted by /u/basriwizz [link] [comments]...
  8. usb flash drive

usb flash drive: I am using windows 10. My usb flash drive does not show in disk manage but only intermittently. Often to make matters worse it freezes my mouse when I have the flash drive plugged in. Also it wont let my computer shut down when the flash drive is plugged in. So far I have...
  9. USB flash drive

USB flash drive: usually, when I insert a cd/dvd in my laptop, it usually asks how I want to use it, and gives 2 options: like a USB flash drive or with CD/DVD drive. I just need to see and read what's in it. which option is appropriate?...
  10. How to reformat USB Recovery Drive

How to reformat USB Recovery Drive: I used the "Create recovery drive" tool in Windows 10 to create a recovery drive on a USB stick. I no longer need that recovery drive and would like to use the USB stick for other things. I have been unable to erase or reformat the USB drive. I keep getting a write protection...