Windows 10: How to make Disk or Partition Read-Only in Windows 11

Discus and support How to make Disk or Partition Read-Only in Windows 11 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [IMG]The Read Only attribute in Windows 11/10 protects a file from being overwritten, modified, or deleted. As the name implies, when you set the Read... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Oct 16, 2023.

1. WinClub New Member

How to make Disk or Partition Read-Only in Windows 11

How to make Disk or Partition Read-Only in Windows 11 [​IMG]
    The Read Only attribute in Windows 11/10 protects a file from being overwritten, modified, or deleted. As the name implies, when you set the Read Only attribute to a file or folder, you can only view its contents instead of modifying them. Hence, you can use this attribute to add write protection to your file […]

This article How to make Disk or Partition Read-Only in Windows 11 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, Oct 16, 2023
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Oct 16, 2023
  3. ze ultimo Win User
    diskpart doesn't show disk

Hey,

I am trying to install Win10 on a mac book air.

However the diskpart does not list the disk even after reformatting the partition as NTFS per suggestion.

read through this solution but cannot move to step 1 listed in the solution by Ivan as that disk doesn't see that partition it was just able to reformat.

Regards

ze ultimo, Oct 16, 2023
  4. FX-GMC Win User

Move Win7 64 image from a partition NTFS to a new drive

EDIT: After reading your first post again, is there any reason that you would now need GPT? Are you just trying to move the windows install to a new disk or is there a new motherboard involved?

If you are already booting to an NTFS partition, then it makes me wonder if after copying to the new drive, the partition isn't getting marked as Active.

Following the same steps I posted above for startup repair, you can get to a command prompt and use diskpart to see if this is the case.

Code: In the command prompt: diskpart list disk select disk 0 (disk number may be different if you have other disks connected.) list partition select partition 0 (partition number number may vary, but you want to see the boot partition which is the same as your windows partition according to the screenshot on the OP) detail partition (This should have Active: Yes or No. If it says no, since we have the partition selected, you can just use the following command in diskpart) active[/quote]

FX-GMC, Oct 16, 2023
Thema:

1. How to make Disk or Partition Read-Only in Windows 11 - Similar Threads - Disk Partition Read

2. Windows 11 - make folder read only for additional user

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - make folder read only for additional user: We have a PC with just 2 users - one is an Admin, the other a User.The User needs Read Only access to a folder, and all sub-folders, managed by the Admin.This used to work by setting the folder properties for the User to Read Only.But now the 'Authenticated Users' group seems...
  3. Windows 11 - make folder read only for additional user

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 - make folder read only for additional user: We have a PC with just 2 users - one is an Admin, the other a User.The User needs Read Only access to a folder, and all sub-folders, managed by the Admin.This used to work by setting the folder properties for the User to Read Only.But now the 'Authenticated Users' group seems...
  4. Disk Drive Will Only Read Certain Disks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Drive Will Only Read Certain Disks: My Bd-Rom, which in Device Manager is a Optiarc BD-Rom BC-5500S ATA Device, It is Built in to my computer will only read Certain disks, I am trying to install a video game The Sims 2 Deluxe but it will only read my expansion pack disks, not the base game, and I have tried to...
  5. Disk Drive Will Only Read Certain Disks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk Drive Will Only Read Certain Disks: My Bd-Rom, which in Device Manager is a Optiarc BD-Rom BC-5500S ATA Device, It is Built in to my computer will only read Certain disks, I am trying to install a video game The Sims 2 Deluxe but it will only read my expansion pack disks, not the base game, and I have tried to...
  6. How to make Discord channel Read-only

in Windows 10 News
    How to make Discord channel Read-only: [ATTACH]Discord is used for many different purposes, it’s used for gaming, dating, learning, announcement, and more. Each purpose requires a certain kind of modification in the Discord servers and channels. If you are trying to create a channel for the announcement, or if you...
  7. Make a Registry Value "Read-Only"

in Windows 10 Support
    Make a Registry Value "Read-Only": Is it possible to make a specific Registry Value "Read-Only" ? I'm basically trying to stop Paint from saving the last used "Resize" value. As you can see from the video below "BMPHeight" and "BMPWidth" are related to it. I can only change Permissions for Registry Folders but...
  8. System disk read only

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System disk read only: Hi, I have 2 SSDs on my PC. The SSD where system is installed is on read only. I uncheck in Properties menu and it's the same when I reload. I can't put any Origin games on C:\ for example, because it tells me that is read only. I'm with my administrator account. Can you...
  9. How do I make Metadata read-only?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I make Metadata read-only?: After reading about how the creation and modification dates on files can be changed by something as insignificant as a copy operation (a rather major flaw which seems like not only horrible but easily fixable programming to me, especially considering Mac doesn't seem to have...
  10. can't format disk reads as primary partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    can't format disk reads as primary partition: i reinstalled windows 10 and when back in windows i noticed the other ssd that i had windows on that i formated wouldnt let go of the partitions look picture -> http://prntscr.com/lax1nc want the whole ssd formated and ready for use again. 120535