Windows 10: How to Increase the Maximum Number of Smart Card Readers in Windows 10

Discus and support How to Increase the Maximum Number of Smart Card Readers in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hello everyone,At my workplace, we use multiple smart card readers connected to Windows 10 machines. However, our software seems to recognize only up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Abigor_207, Sep 19, 2024 at 1:07 AM.

1. How to Increase the Maximum Number of Smart Card Readers in Windows 10

Hello everyone,At my workplace, we use multiple smart card readers connected to Windows 10 machines. However, our software seems to recognize only up to 10 smart card readers. I've noticed that the registry path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography\Calais\Readers might be related to this limitation.Is there a way to bypass or increase the maximum number of smart card readers recognized by Windows 10? Has anyone encountered this issue and found a solution?Any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Thank you!

:)

2. WIndows 10 Compatible Smart Card Reader

I've been using an SCR3500 USB smart card reader for military websites for years with Windows 7. I've since found that this particular reader has been deprecated and will not work with my new Windows 10 machine.

Is there anyone out there using a smart card reader with Windows 10? If so, what make and model reader are you using? And yes, I've been to militarycac.com before someone suggests it. The site is offers a lot of suggestions but none of which are fixing
    my problem. Any assistance would greatly appreciated.

anthonycrivera, Sep 19, 2024 at 1:13 AM
  3. Anne Ros Win User
    Smart Card Reader / Gettign a Card

Hi,

Smart card reader can be used for identification, authentication, and data storage. We suggest contacting the device manufacturer for further assistance on how to use the smart card reader.

Let us know if you need anything else. We're here to help.

4. Rob_U Win User

How to Increase the Maximum Number of Smart Card Readers in Windows 10

Windows Security is no longer recognizing my CAC reader (Smart Card reader)

Windows Security seems to have randomly stopped recognizing my CAC reader, this happened early September.

Typically whenever I access a website that needs my CAC (email, DTS, etc), it prompts me to select my name from a list of credentials, which I do. Then a box pops up from Windows Security asking me to select a smart card device, I click the only option
    and proceed and that's about it.

Now, though, when windows security prompts me to select a smart card device, there is no option. Instead, it simply says "connect a smart card."

I have tried with three different smart cards, all of which operate on other computers, none on mine. Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media as well as the Device Manager both recognize the CAC reader when plugged in. I've uninstalled the device from device
    manager, reinstalled it and also updated the driver from the product's website.

To me, it seems that the computer is still recognizing the reader and the software is there - but Windows Security is somehow blocking the system from accessing/recognizing/allowing the reader.

Any suggestions?

I'm running Windows 10 and the CAC reader is ActivIdentity's USB Reader v3.0, P/N: ZFG-9820GAC

Thema:

How to Increase the Maximum Number of Smart Card Readers in Windows 10

1. How to Increase the Maximum Number of Smart Card Readers in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Increase Maximum Number

2. How to Increase the Maximum Number of Smart Card Readers in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to Increase the Maximum Number of Smart Card Readers in Windows 10: Hello everyone,At my workplace, we use multiple smart card readers connected to Windows 10 machines. However, our software seems to recognize only up to 10 smart card readers. I've noticed that the registry path...
  3. How to Increase the Maximum Number of Smart Card Readers in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Increase the Maximum Number of Smart Card Readers in Windows 10: Hello everyone,At my workplace, we use multiple smart card readers connected to Windows 10 machines. However, our software seems to recognize only up to 10 smart card readers. I've noticed that the registry path...
  4. Smart Card Readers not recognizing Card

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Smart Card Readers not recognizing Card: I have an HP EliteBook with an internal Smart Card Reader. The computer no longer recognizes when a card is inserted. I have plugged external readers into the laptop's USB port with the same result. The green light does not come on when the card is inserted. Various readers...
  5. Smart Card Readers not recognizing Card

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Smart Card Readers not recognizing Card: I have an HP EliteBook with an internal Smart Card Reader. The computer no longer recognizes when a card is inserted. I have plugged external readers into the laptop's USB port with the same result. The green light does not come on when the card is inserted. Various readers...
  6. Windows prompting to connect a Smart Card reader

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows prompting to connect a Smart Card reader: Recently we deployed some MS updates to our users KB4601056, KB4601315, KB4601395 and anyone using a smart card reader is now being prompted regularly to connect a smart card device. I have done a lot of searching and most of the fixes involve disabling the Smart Card reader...
  7. PIV Smart Card Reader

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    PIV Smart Card Reader: Hi All, I am running Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1909 and 2004. I am tasked with trying to figure out how to a PIV Reader on my physical PC and then VPN\remote into another network PC , and have that PIV Card reader be functional on the remote session. I have gone into remote...
  8. is there a way to increase maximum number of alarms windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    is there a way to increase maximum number of alarms windows 10: is there a way ? submitted by /u/samirkamal97 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hl68k2/is_there_a_way_to_increase_maximum_number_of/
  9. Windows update - smart card reader problems

Windows update - smart card reader problems: Hi! After last windows 10 update my laptop do not read usb smart cards no smart cards reader. Windows 10 home 1909 10.12.2019. 18363.535 Please help me. Kind regards! Marko Marković...
  10. Smart Card Reader driver problem

Smart Card Reader driver problem: Hello! So, I ended up here because I didn't know what else to do. I have a problem with my Smart Card Reader(ID-Card). Windows doesn't let me install drivers for it manually, neither did it install them automatically. It all happened after updating Windows to the Anniversary...