Windows 10: How to Format to FAT16 not FAT16 LBA in Win10?

Discus and support How to Format to FAT16 not FAT16 LBA in Win10? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi,I tried to format a PCMCIA card to FAT16CHS in Win10 PC. The Microsoft changed the FAT16 format to FAT16 LBA when formatting the using the normal... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Yuanfei Cai, Oct 16, 2022.

1. How to Format to FAT16 not FAT16 LBA in Win10?

Hi,I tried to format a PCMCIA card to FAT16CHS in Win10 PC. The Microsoft changed the FAT16 format to FAT16 LBA when formatting the using the normal Format.com in windows. I have now searched the net for another format program that can run under win 10, but have until now been unable to find one that works, any good ideas?And also, from which windows version, the Micrisoft changed the FAT16 format to FAT16LBA? Where can I get the official information for this change? Is there any documentation describing this change?

:)

Yuanfei Cai, Oct 16, 2022
  2. Berton Win User

Win 10, Format to FAT16 not FAT16 (LBA)

It just dawned on me that our voting machines use the PCMCIA card. I haven't been able to get in touch with the IT person for the county that maintains them so don't have any particulars as to the OS or the card's formatting. How large are the cards? FAT/FAT16 has limits.
    Maybe some help:
    Format PCMCIA card with FAT16 format for MICB upgrade - Nortel: CS1000 (Meridian) systems - Tek-Tips
    software to format pcmcia as fat16 at DuckDuckGo
    Just for kicks I plugged in a 256MB Thumb drive and found that File Explorer chose FAT for formatting it, other options were FAT32, NTFS and exFAT. FAT16 is pretty much limited to 2GB partition size. The use of LBA/Logical Block Addressing was generally by the BIOS in setting up HDDs.
    File Allocation Table - Wikipedia
    Logical block addressing - Wikipedia

EDIT: Just found a 2GB Thumb drive in my parts box and checked, Win10 File Explorer shows it will indeed format 2GB as FAT [FAT16]. Bottom line: looks like using a Linux machine would work if wanting FAT16 over 2GB. I just checked the drive on my Linux Mint 17 and it has GPARTED installed [by default] and it can format 2GB as FAT16 so the main thing is how large the capacity of the PCMCIA card is.

Berton, Oct 16, 2022
  3. AirMech Win User

Hi

The card is on 64 MB.

As your link to "File Allocation Table - Wikipedia" are there different types of the: FAT16 the one we need is 0x06

AirMech, Oct 16, 2022
  4. AirMech Win User

How to Format to FAT16 not FAT16 LBA in Win10?

Hi

We have 15 win 10 tablets that read and format a PCMCIA card, this is used for data transfer from helicopter health monitoring system.

After the latest update have Microsoft changed the FAT16 format to FAT16 (LBA) when formatting the using the normal Format.com in windows. This can our helicopters not read.

We are running the format from the command prompt (batch program)

We have talked to Microsoft support – they acknowledge our problem – “but they are unable to help”
    Microsoft suggest update the helicopter – that is not an option.

We have now searched the net for another format program that can run under win 10, but have until now been unable to find one that works, any good ideas?

Best Regards,

Peter

AirMech, Oct 16, 2022
Thema:

How to Format to FAT16 not FAT16 LBA in Win10?

1. How to Format to FAT16 not FAT16 LBA in Win10? - Similar Threads - Format FAT16 FAT16

2. Windows 10 on FAT16! Post-OOBE, UWP working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 on FAT16! Post-OOBE, UWP working: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/SevoosMinecraft [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/1bjgn7x/windows_10_on_fat16_postoobe_uwp_working/
  3. How to Format to FAT16 not FAT16 LBA in Win10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to Format to FAT16 not FAT16 LBA in Win10?: Hi,I tried to format a PCMCIA card to FAT16CHS in Win10 PC. The Microsoft changed the FAT16 format to FAT16 LBA when formatting the using the normal Format.com in windows. I have now searched the net for another format program that can run under win 10, but have until now...
  4. How to Format to FAT16 not FAT16 LBA in Win10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Format to FAT16 not FAT16 LBA in Win10?: Hi,I tried to format a PCMCIA card to FAT16CHS in Win10 PC. The Microsoft changed the FAT16 format to FAT16 LBA when formatting the using the normal Format.com in windows. I have now searched the net for another format program that can run under win 10, but have until now...
  5. MBR FAT16 READ WRITE

MBR FAT16 READ WRITE: Hi, I am running Win 10 VS 2013 dev environment. I have a USB 25MEG SSD that is bootable. I want to read the MBR from one USB 25MEG SSD then write the MBR to another. Any recommendations? I don't mind writing my own utility, but where to start. Boyd...
  6. How do you convert a micro SD card from FAT16 to FAT 32

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do you convert a micro SD card from FAT16 to FAT 32: Long story short, I was going to plug a 256gb micro sd card on my router to share with my household. I have a USB adapter so I can plug it there. But it won't appear in file explorer. When I plugged it back in my computer, it doesn't show. I checked in router settings, at it...
  7. Hey, does anyone know some easy way to format drive to fat16 (0x06) instead of fat16 (lba)...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hey, does anyone know some easy way to format drive to fat16 (0x06) instead of fat16 (lba)...: submitted by /u/Eldojosh [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/eo13da/hey_does_anyone_know_some_easy_way_to_format/
  8. How Can I Format an SD Card with FAT16 using Win10?

How Can I Format an SD Card with FAT16 using Win10?: I need to format a 2G SD card in FAT16. Can I do that? It is a card for an old Canon A520 which only takes 2G cards and the only cards I can find don't work with it: gives 'memory card error'. These are not HD cards so they should work. I suspect the problem is they are...
  9. Win 10, Format to FAT16 not FAT16 (LBA)

Win 10, Format to FAT16 not FAT16 (LBA): Hi We have 15 win 10 tablets that read and format a PCMCIA card, this is used for data transfer from helicopter health monitoring system. After the latest update have Microsoft changed the FAT16 format to FAT16 (LBA) when formatting the using the normal Format.com in...
  10. put a 4gb fat16 partition on a 8gb USB stick?

put a 4gb fat16 partition on a 8gb USB stick?: I work with HAAS CNC lathes and mills, which only accept FAT16-formatted USB drives. I ahve an old 2gb drive that is starting to fail so I got a new drive. problem is the smallest size I could find is 8GB, which is too big for FAT16. I tried using Disk Management but the...