Windows 10: How to change the writing location for programs

Discus and support How to change the writing location for programs in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am trying to save space for my steam games and I was doing a routine clean up when I noticed that in my hard drive E, there were programs saving and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Embee_Ink, Apr 26, 2022.

1. Embee_Ink Win User

How to change the writing location for programs

I am trying to save space for my steam games and I was doing a routine clean up when I noticed that in my hard drive E, there were programs saving and installing there. I intentionally do not install programs there and never save data there other than steam games. What gives?I went into the settings for teams, WinRAR, my wacom tablet, and the other programs, they all say the installation is in C or D drives, yet they have folders and files here. Stardock and NVIDIA I can somewhat understand, I use fences to organize my game icons on my desktop and NVIDIA, obviously, but the others, why are the

:)

Embee_Ink, Apr 26, 2022

2. Change location

Hi,

Changing the location of your Windows 10 device is possible. Follow these steps to change the location information on Windows 10:

• Go to Control Panel.
    • Click on Clock, Language, and Region and then select Region.
    • Click on Location tab.
    • Under the Home location, click the drop-down button and then choose your location.
    • Click on Apply button and then click OK.

Note: Changing the location in Windows 10 is limited to changing which country or region you are in.

Feel free to reach out to us if further assistance is needed.

Darleen Pen, Apr 26, 2022
  3. Can’t change the location.

Hi George,

I am sorry to hear that you had to encounter an internet connection issue in Windows 10 before. You can always come to us for any issues on Windows 10, we will be glad to help you.

Let us see what to do to resolve this issue on location settings. TO assist you better, please answer the questions below.

• Where did you see your location as Vermont USA? How did you tried to change the location?

• Are you getting any error messages while changing the location?

• What is the build version of the Windows? Follow the below steps to check the build version.

• Open up the run command with the
      Win key + R key combo.

• Type winver into the run command text box and hit
      OK.

• You should now see a dialog screen revealing the OS build and registration information.

I suggest you to ON the location service and check if the location is changed to your current location. If the location service is ON, the Windows will automatically find your location once the system in connected to internet and update
    the location on the Apps, which has the permission to access to the location. Refer to the below link to ON the location service and more.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12444/windows-10-location-service-privacy-faq

You may also change your Country or region manually by the following steps;

• In the search box on task bar, enter Change region, then select
      Change your country or region.

• Under Country or region, select your new region.

Hope you can change your location.

Get back to us for further assistance, we will be glad to help you.

Rishad K T, Apr 26, 2022
  4. How to change the writing location for programs

Windows 10 Start Menu Programs Incorrect Location

Hi Kat,

As you are unable to open the program from Start screen. I would suggest you to right click on it and click on
    Unpin from Start. Browse to the file location, right click on it and select Pin to Start to set it properly.

To change the Start settings, follow these steps:

• Click on Search and type “Start settings” without quotes.
    • Click on the Start settings (System settings).
    • It will open the Personalization window with Start settings.
    • From here you can make the necessary changes.

Let us know the results.

Rohit Siddegowda, Apr 26, 2022
Thema:

How to change the writing location for programs

1. How to change the writing location for programs - Similar Threads - change writing location

2. How to change the location of "Program Files" and "Users" folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change the location of "Program Files" and "Users" folder: Hello everyone, my device win 11, I have a little problem, I have moved the user folder and program files from Drive :C, to Drive :D. well, I forgot how to restore or re-move program files and users data to Drive : C again, I've searched in the browser but never found the...
  3. How to change the location of "Program Files" and "Users" folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change the location of "Program Files" and "Users" folder: Hello everyone, my device win 11, I have a little problem, I have moved the user folder and program files from Drive :C, to Drive :D. well, I forgot how to restore or re-move program files and users data to Drive : C again, I've searched in the browser but never found the...
  4. "error writing to the temporary location"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "error writing to the temporary location": Hi, I have windows 10 pro 22h2 and I have downloaded application running java environment and its files but when I click app it occurs "error writing to the temporary location" by the way, I saw "error writing temporary file. Make sure your temp folder is valid". my friends...
  5. How to change the writing location for programs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change the writing location for programs: I am trying to save space for my steam games and I was doing a routine clean up when I noticed that in my hard drive E, there were programs saving and installing there. I intentionally do not install programs there and never save data there other than steam games. What...
  6. How to change the writing location for programs

How to change the writing location for programs: I am trying to save space for my steam games and I was doing a routine clean up when I noticed that in my hard drive E, there were programs saving and installing there. I intentionally do not install programs there and never save data there other than steam games. What...
  7. Is there a way to change the location of installed programs?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to change the location of installed programs?: So... I'll try to keep it short. I put a caddy on my laptop (for who doesn't know what that means, I sacrificed my dvd-rom for more disk space), and I put in a 250gb (not the precise number) SSD in my main slot. I was planning on cloning the older 700gb (same) HD onto my...
  8. How to locate this suspicious program?

How to locate this suspicious program?: I found a suspicious program under Task Manager/Startup. Its name is "Program"; its icon is a rectangle with a folded upper right hand corner, just like that of a generic .txt file except there is no horizontal lines in it; its publisher is blank. How do I find out the...
  9. How to change install location for program such as Google Chrome?

How to change install location for program such as Google Chrome?: Hi everyone, I just joined this forum and love it thus far. I'm hoping to get some information and answers in regards to my dilemma. I recently installed Windows 10 on an SSD and have an HDD for extra storage. My question is if I can change the location of installing...
  10. How To Change Program Files Location In Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    How To Change Program Files Location In Windows 10: i am kind of confuse with windows 10 on how to change Program Files Location. i know in windows 7 and windows 8 all i had to do is go to ''HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion'' and change ProgramFilesDir to the hard driver letter to the on that i...