Windows 10: How to access Bitlocker encrypted files after Win11 system resest?

Discus and support How to access Bitlocker encrypted files after Win11 system resest? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi,Previously, I encrypted a folder by right-clicking -> General ->Advanced -> Encrypt contentsLater, I moved this folder to an external SSD, and reset... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Yupeng Wang, Jul 19, 2024.

1. How to access Bitlocker encrypted files after Win11 system resest?

Hi,Previously, I encrypted a folder by right-clicking -> General ->Advanced -> Encrypt contentsLater, I moved this folder to an external SSD, and reset my computer. I was not aware that I needed to back up the certificate, and I didn't. Now my access to the files in the folder is denied. I've tried searching for solutions but without success.Is there any way to regain access to these files? I have the Bitlocker key ID, certificate thumbprint, and Bitlocker recovery key.Thanks!

:)

Yupeng Wang, Jul 19, 2024
  2. jmsnyc Win User

Access a Bitlocker encrypted system drive as external drive

I am getting rid of a desktop with a bitlocker encrypted C drive. I want to physically remove that drive and have access to it from another pc via external usb dock or enclosire

Bitlocker question: Do I need to decrypt it first ? I was thinking with the key or the password I could access it no problem and decryption was not necessary but then I remembered TPM might prevent this since it was a system drive. Would that prevent access even with the BL key or password?

General file access question: Normally when accessing files from a drive removed from another pc, I normally have to use "Take Ownership" or run a 3rd party file explorer as admin such as Q-Dir. Are there any steps to take prior to removing it from the original pc to make this process / file access easier?

Original PC is running Win 10 Ed , new PC running Win 10 Pro

jmsnyc, Jul 19, 2024
  3. CraigLong Win User
    Accessing the files while encrypting a drive using Bitlocker

Hi
    L N Ramawat

I have some files encrypted using third party software on my bitlocker protected drive. Once you unlock your bitlocker drive then files encrypted with other software will stay encrypted. That is my experience. But you have to unlock your bitlocker drive
    first otherwise any software that needs access to files on the bitlocker protected drive will not be able to gain access.

CraigLong, Jul 19, 2024
  4. How to access Bitlocker encrypted files after Win11 system resest?

BitLocker Encrypted Hard Drive to MAC

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

I suggest you to perform below mentioned steps to disable BitLocker.

To disable BitLocker I would suggest you try the following steps and see if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Control Panel.

• Change View by from Category
      to Large Icons/Small Icons.

• Click on BitLocker Drive Encryption and click on
      Turn BitLocker Off.

• Follow on screen instructions. Click on Decrypt the Drive
      when the message appears.
    I would suggest you click on the link below and refer the following article.

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

(You can refer the steps in the above link as they are applicable for Windows 10 as well)

Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Jul 19, 2024
Thema:

How to access Bitlocker encrypted files after Win11 system resest?

1. How to access Bitlocker encrypted files after Win11 system resest? - Similar Threads - access Bitlocker encrypted

2. How to access Bitlocker encrypted files after Win11 system resest?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to access Bitlocker encrypted files after Win11 system resest?: Hi,Previously, I encrypted a folder by right-clicking -> General ->Advanced -> Encrypt contentsLater, I moved this folder to an external SSD, and reset my computer. I was not aware that I needed to back up the certificate, and I didn't. Now my access to the files in the...
  3. Bitlocker encryption and system variables

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker encryption and system variables: I have a serious problem with my Windows PC. I accidentally deleted my system variables so some features stopped working. I tried to reset my PC but it is protected with Bitlocker, I can't find my keys from my system because it's not working properly. My Microsoft is not...
  4. Bitlocker encryption and system variables

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker encryption and system variables: I have a serious problem with my Windows PC. I accidentally deleted my system variables so some features stopped working. I tried to reset my PC but it is protected with Bitlocker, I can't find my keys from my system because it's not working properly. My Microsoft is not...
  5. Bitlocker encryption and system variables

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. The system got encrypted with Bitlocker after update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The system got encrypted with Bitlocker after update: I am using Asus laptop and after the update I got SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. I can not boot the system because it started requiring Bitlocker key. I hadn’t entered any Bitlocker key before it all happened. So the update enabled the Bitlocker somehow. How can I make...
  7. Access a Bitlocker encrypted system drive as external drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Access a Bitlocker encrypted system drive as external drive: I am getting rid of a desktop with a bitlocker encrypted C drive. I want to physically remove that drive and have access to it from another pc via external usb dock or enclosire Bitlocker question: Do I need to decrypt it first ? I was thinking with the key or the password...
  8. Access a Bitlocker encrypted system drive as external drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Access a Bitlocker encrypted system drive as external drive: I am getting rid of a desktop with a bitlocker encrypted C drive. I want to physically remove that drive and have access to it from another pc via external usb dock or enclosire Bitlocker question: Do I need to decrypt it first ? I was thinking with the key or the password...
  9. Encrypting File System, You are encrypting a file or trying to access an encrypted file...

Encrypting File System, You are encrypting a file or trying to access an encrypted file...: I do not use a smart card. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/encrypting-file-system-you-are-encrypting-a-file/a56f8b42-45e4-4d23-a119-5b4ee55f305e"
  10. Bitlocker: Encrypted USB no access

Bitlocker: Encrypted USB no access: Hello, I have a usb that has been encrypted using bitlocker, I can connect this usb to my desktop and I can input the password and access the usb. However on my laptop and other computers, when I plug in the usb I do not get the prompt to input my password and instead just...