Windows 10: How to access an external hard drive that won't show up without reformatting it

Discus and support How to access an external hard drive that won't show up without reformatting it in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My external hard drive will not show up on my new computer. When I plug it in the light goes on correctly, and if I run disk management I can see it,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by NateVM, Jun 20, 2024.

1. NateVM Win User

How to access an external hard drive that won't show up without reformatting it

My external hard drive will not show up on my new computer. When I plug it in the light goes on correctly, and if I run disk management I can see it, but it does not show up in file explorer and I have no way of accessing it. Investigating it in disk management it tells me that the external is working correctly, connected with no problems, and that I have the latest driver for it. However, if I right click on the partitions to try and assign a drive letter or path, everything is greyed out except the generic help option at the bottom of the list, and the delete volume option. I have tried rei

:)

NateVM, Jun 20, 2024
  2. Roz Jones Win User

reformat external hard drive that is not showing up in Windows

I have a Sonnics external hard drive that I wish to reformat, but it isn't showing up in File Explorer. It shows up in file explorer, I have tried the steps of deleting the drivers and rebooting, but it doesn't work.

Is there a way i can reformat the drive without it appearing in file explorer or disk management

Roz Jones, Jun 20, 2024
  3. File History does not recognize external hard drive since reformat

File History stopped backing up at some point (was a single file name too long for it?). I reformatted my external hard disk, a WD My Book. Now File History will not back up to it, despite it showing up in a list of possible external drives to back up to. I've tried using a free trial version of Backblaze too but it simply isn't backing up. Any suggestions?

blue.pencil, Jun 20, 2024
  4. Greg J S Win User

Reformatting External Hard Drive

I downloaded data from a computer with Windows 7 OS to and external hard drive. When I went to load this data on a new computer with Windows 10 OS I could no longer access the data. I tried to resolove with free repartitioning software, but the external
    hard drive cannot be accessed. Is there a way to either reformat the external hard drive, plug into the Windows 10 computer and make sure it is displaying then redownload the data to upload on the new computer or will I always face this compatibility problem?

Greg J S, Jun 20, 2024
Thema:

1. How to access an external hard drive that won't show up without reformatting it - Similar Threads - access external hard

2. External hard drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External hard drive not showing up: I took a hard drive out of an old acer laptop bought a adapter for it to convert it to an external hard drive but it's not showing up on my now updated acer laptop...
  3. External hard drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive not showing up: I took a hard drive out of an old acer laptop bought a adapter for it to convert it to an external hard drive but it's not showing up on my now updated acer laptop...
  4. How to access an external hard drive that won't show up without reformatting it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to access an external hard drive that won't show up without reformatting it: My external hard drive will not show up on my new computer. When I plug it in the light goes on correctly, and if I run disk management I can see it, but it does not show up in file explorer and I have no way of accessing it. Investigating it in disk management it tells me...
  5. reformat external hard drive that is not showing up in Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    reformat external hard drive that is not showing up in Windows: I have a Sonnics external hard drive that I wish to reformat, but it isn't showing up in File Explorer. It shows up in file explorer, I have tried the steps of deleting the drivers and rebooting, but it doesn't work.Is there a way i can reformat the drive without it appearing...
  6. reformat external hard drive that is not showing up in Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    reformat external hard drive that is not showing up in Windows: I have a Sonnics external hard drive that I wish to reformat, but it isn't showing up in File Explorer. It shows up in file explorer, I have tried the steps of deleting the drivers and rebooting, but it doesn't work.Is there a way i can reformat the drive without it appearing...
  7. External hard drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External hard drive not showing up: I just downloaded windows on a flash drive then plugged it into my pc but when i go to select where i want to download windows nothing shows up. Please help...
  8. external hard drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external hard drive not showing up: it's not showing up at all. not in windows explorer, not in the device manager, not in disk management, it's as if i didn't even put it in. it's always worked perfectly fine on my laptop (which is what i'm using now) and i used it on my computer (windows 7) just several...
  9. External Hard Drive Not Showing UP

External Hard Drive Not Showing UP: Hello, I am using a WD external hard drive to transfer files from one Windows 10 machine to others. The first machine saw the disk fine, and I added all of the data. The next two machines saw the disk fine, and I transferred all of the date. The fourth machine does not...
  10. External Hard Drive not showing up

External Hard Drive not showing up: I have an external hard drive that I have used regularly with a Windows 7 machine via esata that does not show up when plugged into my Windows 10 notebook via USB. I can see it under the disk management, but there is no drive letter assigned so I cannot access it. ? 37434