Windows 10: How do I rename and change which drive is my primary/system/boot driver?

Discus and support How do I rename and change which drive is my primary/system/boot driver? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have an MSI Z87 G65 Mobo with an Intel i5 4 core CPU with three storage drives. My C drive is on a 300G Intel ssd and my other 2 are a 1T and a 2T... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Jovial Mobius, Apr 9, 2024.

1. How do I rename and change which drive is my primary/system/boot driver?

I have an MSI Z87 G65 Mobo with an Intel i5 4 core CPU with three storage drives. My C drive is on a 300G Intel ssd and my other 2 are a 1T and a 2T Toshiba hhd. While doing my initial setup I left my 1T drive unable to be utilized due to me not populating/allocating? it. I can see the drive listed when I open Sytem manager, but I am not totally sure how to activate it. I would like to get help on what the proper method and how to set up my drives properly. I partitioned my C drive using Aiomi Disk part tool included with the repair and recovery USB I used to restore Windows 10 Pro from a

:)

Jovial Mobius, Apr 9, 2024

2. Change primary alias

Hello,

Thank you for your reply,

As per description, when you click to change the primary on nothing happens.

Have you tried to perform the troubleshooting steps provided under section
    Change which alias is primary
    ?

If you have not performed the troubleshooting steps I would suggest you perform steps under
    Change which alias is primary , from my previous post. Which are as follow.

Note: The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might also reset
    parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature.

Please do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows.

Ashish Sondhi, Apr 10, 2024
  3. Megahertz Win User
    accidentally renamed drive F: SYSTEM and now my laptop won't boot

I don't think he renamed the System partition. I think he renamed the C:\Windows\System folder Boot from a Win 10 installation drive (USB) and on the first screen launch a CMD window by Shift+F10 Type: Diskpart list disk (identify your drive number n) select disk n (replace n with the drive number you found above) list part (take notes of the partition names) exit Post here the partitions names you found with list part

Megahertz, Apr 10, 2024
  4. How do I rename and change which drive is my primary/system/boot driver?

Instructions to change board?

Boot off of the windows CD, repair your XP partition (hopefully you won't have to reinstall windows), install drivers, and you're good to go. You'll see dual channel mode in the BIOS splash screen results from POST. It'll be pretty obvious *Stick Out Tongue How do I rename and change which drive is my primary/system/boot driver? :p. Here's a list of general tweaks for the 939Dual-SATA2.
    Step one- Set time, date
    Step two- In CPU settings, disable cool n quiet, set memory clock to DDR400, play with memory timings (CAS-TRAS-TRP-TRCD), which are listed in the bios in the order CAS, TRCD, TRAS, and TRP. EDIT- new BIOS's mess around with this order, can't be too sure on it, but yeah at least you know what the RAM timings stand for *Big Grin How do I rename and change which drive is my primary/system/boot driver? :D.
    Leave MA timing at 2T unless you think your system can handle 1T
    Step three- in Chipset settings, enable onboard LAN, disable onboard Audio, disable AGP fast write, set primary graphics adapter, and set CPU-NB and NB-SB link speed to 1000mhz.
    Step four- in IDE, disable controllers you aren't using. On all drives detected, enable SMART if you can and set PIO/DMA as high as they will go.
    Step five- Enable legacy USB support
    Step six- Set password if you're worried about anyone screwing around with your BIOS settings
    Step seven- Configure your boot sequence. I reccomend hard drive first, optical drive second, and floppy drive third.
    Step eight- Save changes, boot into XP, and enjoy your computer.

zekrahminator, Apr 10, 2024
Thema:

How do I rename and change which drive is my primary/system/boot driver?

1. How do I rename and change which drive is my primary/system/boot driver? - Similar Threads - rename change drive

2. How do I rename and change which drive is my primary/system/boot driver?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I rename and change which drive is my primary/system/boot driver?: I have an MSI Z87 G65 Mobo with an Intel i5 4 core CPU with three storage drives. My C drive is on a 300G Intel ssd and my other 2 are a 1T and a 2T Toshiba hhd. While doing my initial setup I left my 1T drive unable to be utilized due to me not populating/allocating? it. I...
  3. How do I rename and change which drive is my primary/system/boot driver?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I rename and change which drive is my primary/system/boot driver?: I have an MSI Z87 G65 Mobo with an Intel i5 4 core CPU with three storage drives. My C drive is on a 300G Intel ssd and my other 2 are a 1T and a 2T Toshiba hhd. While doing my initial setup I left my 1T drive unable to be utilized due to me not populating/allocating? it. I...
  4. how do i change the primary drive C: Disc to another drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i change the primary drive C: Disc to another drive?: i have a hp elite x2 laptop and i recently switched this laptop into windows 11 and made a new drive but i accidentally made the primary drive have less space so i'm wondering how i can do it. I would appreciate if anyone would tell because i am new to laptops....
  5. how do i change the primary drive C: Disc to another drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do i change the primary drive C: Disc to another drive?: i have a hp elite x2 laptop and i recently switched this laptop into windows 11 and made a new drive but i accidentally made the primary drive have less space so i'm wondering how i can do it. I would appreciate if anyone would tell because i am new to laptops....
  6. How do I set my second SSD as my primary boot drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I set my second SSD as my primary boot drive?: My OS SSD is failing SMART failure according to startup error. Thus I have installed a second SSD on my Asus F15 laptop. I used AOMEI Backupper to clone my OS SSD to the new SSD, and was successful in cloning and unlocking the new SSD. However, the cloned SSD will not show up...
  7. How do I set my second SSD as my primary boot drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I set my second SSD as my primary boot drive?: My OS SSD is failing SMART failure according to startup error. Thus I have installed a second SSD on my Asus F15 laptop. I used AOMEI Backupper to clone my OS SSD to the new SSD, and was successful in cloning and unlocking the new SSD. However, the cloned SSD will not show up...
  8. Question about changing primary boot Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about changing primary boot Drive: So I got my M2 Drive in the mail today and cloned my old SATA SSD onto it. Then I went to bios and selected the new M2 Drive as my boot Drive. And I think it worked, keyword think. My issue now is though, I went to try to reformat the old SATA drive to wipe it clean and it's...
  9. How do I rename my Display Driver?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I rename my Display Driver?: Hey, I would like to rename my display driver using Regedit. However, I could not find any "Friendly Name" value to change nor any other value that affected it's name. Is there anything that i'm missing, or can I not change the name of my display driver?...
  10. How do I change primary language?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I change primary language?: In build 10240 I can download a Danish language pack in Settings. However I can't set it as primary... Anyone know how to do this? [img] 8316