Windows 10: How do I reinstall windows 10 on laptop after replacing defiective Hard Drive?

Discus and support How do I reinstall windows 10 on laptop after replacing defiective Hard Drive? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello,I have an older laptop that originally came with Windows 8, but I upgraded to Windows 10 when it became available. Now the Hard Drive has failed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by gtdriski, Jan 8, 2023.

1. gtdriski Win User

How do I reinstall windows 10 on laptop after replacing defiective Hard Drive?

Hello,I have an older laptop that originally came with Windows 8, but I upgraded to Windows 10 when it became available. Now the Hard Drive has failed and I am replacing it. Once I replace the drive how do I reinstall Windows 10?I don't have installation files for Windows 8 or 10 or a license key. The laptop just has a Windows 8 sticker on it, no license # on sticker.Do I have to install Windows 8 first, then upgrade to 10 or just install Windows 10?Where do I get installation files? Once I get these do I have to put them on a disc or USB drive?Where do I get license key?What is the proper

:)

gtdriski, Jan 8, 2023
  2. gordon99 Win User

Replacing a laptop hard drive with a SSD

I have a Dell Latitude E5420 laptop which has a Windows 10 Pro O/S. I would appreciate a step by step guide on the procedure to replace the hard drive with a Solid State drive; specifically dealing with the transfer of all the software from the old drive to the new. I have an external hard drive I use for backups and a free version of the Macrium Reflect program on the hard drive. The SSD is brand new. I have just 50 GB in total on the 231 GB hard drive. The SSD has 250 GB capacity.

gordon99, Jan 8, 2023
  3. Can't get replacement hard drive to boot

The boot sector on my Windows 10 HP ProBook 650 laptop went bad. I purchased a replacement 1 TB hard drive, connect it to my laptop with a SATA to USB cable, set up partitions identical to those on my laptop and used xcopy to copy my files to their corresponding partitions on the new drive and set the partition to "active" and installed it in the laptop. When I power it up, it will not boot. I have followed various troubleshooting steps I found online but none worked.

Can anyone suggest some possible solutions?

Thanks

DH

drhansenjr, Jan 8, 2023
  4. RG_925 Win User

Reinstall windows 10 after hard drive failure and replacement

Previously performed the free upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 on my Dell home laptop. Recently had a hard drive failure and had to replace just the hard drive in the same lap top. I have reinstalled version 8.1 using the media that came with the
    laptop - how do I get the license to re-upgrade to Windows 10? Will I now need to purchase a license?

RG_925, Jan 8, 2023
Thema:

1. How do I reinstall windows 10 on laptop after replacing defiective Hard Drive? - Similar Threads - reinstall laptop replacing

2. How do I reinstall Windows 11 after replacing hard drive, if I did not make a bootable USB?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I reinstall Windows 11 after replacing hard drive, if I did not make a bootable USB?: The hard drive on my son's laptop has died. I did not make a bootable USB drive for his computer. If I replace the hard drive, how can I reinstall Windows 11 without purchasing Windows again?I read that I can go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo..., select...
  3. How do I reinstall Windows 11 after replacing hard drive, if I did not make a bootable USB?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I reinstall Windows 11 after replacing hard drive, if I did not make a bootable USB?: The hard drive on my son's laptop has died. I did not make a bootable USB drive for his computer. If I replace the hard drive, how can I reinstall Windows 11 without purchasing Windows again?I read that I can go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo..., select...
  4. How do I reinstall windows 10 on laptop after replacing defiective Hard Drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I reinstall windows 10 on laptop after replacing defiective Hard Drive?: Hello,I have an older laptop that originally came with Windows 8, but I upgraded to Windows 10 when it became available. Now the Hard Drive has failed and I am replacing it. Once I replace the drive how do I reinstall Windows 10?I don't have installation files for Windows 8...
  5. How do I reinstall windows 10 on laptop after replacing defiective Hard Drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I reinstall windows 10 on laptop after replacing defiective Hard Drive?: Hello,I have an older laptop that originally came with Windows 8, but I upgraded to Windows 10 when it became available. Now the Hard Drive has failed and I am replacing it. Once I replace the drive how do I reinstall Windows 10?I don't have installation files for Windows 8...
  6. Reinstalling windows 10 after hard disk replacement

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reinstalling windows 10 after hard disk replacement: I had upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7. However, my hard disk crashed and my service provider re installed window 7 after installing new hard disk. Can I still upgrade to Windows 10 and windows will identify earlier activation if its not based on hard disk....
  7. How do I reinstall Windows 10 after changing hard drives?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I reinstall Windows 10 after changing hard drives?: So a few months ago, my computer's hard drive broke, therefore I could not use my computer. Now i am getting a new hard drive, but how do I install Windows 10 on it? I am hearing mixed things about it. My computer is a prebuilt HP desktop and I dont know any keys or codes...
  8. Reinstall Windows 10 and replace primary hard drive

Reinstall Windows 10 and replace primary hard drive: Hi folks, I've been running Windows 10 on this PC for a couple of years now. Upgraded online from Windows 7 during the free upgrade period. So I have no product key for Windows 10, I have a digital license tied to my Microsoft account. I want to reinstall Windows 10 now...
  9. How do I reinstall Windows 10 Pro after replacing the hard drive (which took me back to Win...

How do I reinstall Windows 10 Pro after replacing the hard drive (which took me back to Win...: does anyone know where or how to upgrade my desktop, win 7 to win 10 without being forced to pay 200 bucks? this (my) pc froze, I had to replace my hard drive, now I am only win 7 pro. I am disabled with only low disability income and cant afford a new pc or 139 or 199, and...
  10. how to reinstall windows 10 (home) after replace hard drive

how to reinstall windows 10 (home) after replace hard drive: FACTS: Dell inspiron 3050 (small fanless cube) came with windows 8.1 later upgraded to windows 10 .. it only had a 32 gig solid state drive which is so crowded now it has NOT been able to update since oct 2017because it says it needs 8 gig on c to do the update ... I tried...