Windows 10: How do I make my laptop lock and sleep when I close the lid

Discus and support How do I make my laptop lock and sleep when I close the lid in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; When I close it currently this keeps my device unlocked but it sleeps it. This makes it run out on screen time, and is just not secure. I am running... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Owen Mellor, Feb 1, 2024.

1. How do I make my laptop lock and sleep when I close the lid

When I close it currently this keeps my device unlocked but it sleeps it. This makes it run out on screen time, and is just not secure. I am running windows 11

:)

Owen Mellor, Feb 1, 2024
  2. Ruz San Win User

Windows 10 lock on lid close

Hi Radoslav,

Like the information you were able to find, closing the lid of your laptop will shut it down, put it to sleep, or let it hibernate. Locking the PC by closing the lid is currently not a function available in Windows.

We suggest you share your feedback or suggestions on this
    page
    for Microsoft to look into this option for future developments in Windows.

Hope this helps.

Ruz San, Feb 1, 2024
  3. mazunki Win User
    Windows 10: How to Lock (not sleep) laptop on lid close?

Two steps:

• Capture the close lid event.
    • Trigger a lock-screen event.

See: Capturing laptop lid closing event in windows?, and Command-line (cmd) command to lock a windows machine.

From those sources, we can use RegisterPowerSettingNotification and GUID_LIDSWITCH_STATE_CHANGE to detect the trigger, and run:

from the command line to send a lock screen request to the machine.

I don't know what compilers you have available, or what languages you know, but this information should help you set up a program to do it for you.

I don't use Windows myself, so I can't build or test it for you.

mazunki, Feb 1, 2024
  4. How do I make my laptop lock and sleep when I close the lid

Laptop not sleeping when lid is closed and plugged in

Thank you for your help

Unfortunately this has not helped but I have made some interesting observations for the past 2 weeks

My laptop still has this problem in both sleeping and hibernating

It won't sleep or hibernate fully when I press the buttons in the start menu which forces me to hard shut down my laptop

But closing the lid with a small amount of force allows the laptop to sleep

And when I boot it up in safe mode closing the lid hibernates the laptop

Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance

Ju Yeol Youn, Feb 1, 2024
Thema:

How do I make my laptop lock and sleep when I close the lid

1. How do I make my laptop lock and sleep when I close the lid - Similar Threads - laptop lock sleep

2. How do I make my laptop lock and sleep when I close the lid

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I make my laptop lock and sleep when I close the lid: When I close it currently this keeps my device unlocked but it sleeps it. This makes it run out on screen time, and is just not secure. I am running windows 11...
  3. Laptop doesn't sleep when lid is closed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop doesn't sleep when lid is closed.: I am on Windows 10 HP laptop and when I close the lid it doesn't go to sleep or turn off the screen.I have the "When I close the lid" in system settings set to sleep on battery and sleep plugged in. It doesn't work though....
  4. Laptop doesn't sleep when lid is closed.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop doesn't sleep when lid is closed.: I am on Windows 10 HP laptop and when I close the lid it doesn't go to sleep or turn off the screen.I have the "When I close the lid" in system settings set to sleep on battery and sleep plugged in. It doesn't work though....
  5. Laptop does not sleep when lid is closed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop does not sleep when lid is closed: Previously, whenever I used close the lid of my laptop, it used to go to sleep. I have even tried to change the settings but still nothing changes.Edition Windows 11 Home Insider Preview Version Dev Installed on ‎ 31/‎10/‎2021 OS build 22489.1000 Experience Windows Feature...
  6. Laptop does not sleep when lid is closed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop does not sleep when lid is closed: Previously, whenever I used close the lid of my laptop, it used to go to sleep. I have even tried to change the settings but still nothing changes.Edition Windows 11 Home Insider Preview Version Dev Installed on ‎ 31/‎10/‎2021 OS build 22489.1000 Experience Windows Feature...
  7. How do I make my duplicated screen clear when my laptop lid is closed?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I make my duplicated screen clear when my laptop lid is closed?: So I want to use my monitor display instead of my laptop display. I really don't want my laptop screen facing me, so I just turned on the setting to "never sleep while plugged in" since I use my laptop on the go. After I made it to "duplicate screen" my monitor display is all...
  8. Laptop will not go to sleep when closing the lid.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop will not go to sleep when closing the lid.: [ATTACH] Hey guys, hoping someone can help me here. My school issued laptop will not go to sleep when i close the "lid". It will only sleep if I click the start button and select sleep, which is fine, however; sometimes I just close it up out of habit, and when I come back...
  9. My laptop continues to sleep when lid is closed.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    My laptop continues to sleep when lid is closed.: I changed the options to 'Do Nothing' when I close the lid, yet it still sleeps when I do it. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-continues-to-sleep-when-lid-is-closed/c52cc16f-5f88-4d6d-b3d9-5b0e6014e9a4
  10. Lock laptop when lid is closed

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Lock laptop when lid is closed: Hello, Please add to Windows 10 the option to "lock on lid close". Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/lock-laptop-when-lid-is-closed/c9798949-35f4-46f1-afeb-fbf7b2be39c1"