Windows 10: how do I delete a duplicate account

Discus and support how do I delete a duplicate account in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I think that there have been 2 accounts set up, both with the same email address as the username but I can't tell the difference - only sometimes it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Max Sullo, Jan 6, 2024.

1. Max Sullo Win User

how do I delete a duplicate account

I think that there have been 2 accounts set up, both with the same email address as the username but I can't tell the difference - only sometimes it wont let me log in. Initially there was an account set up for Xbox, now I am trying to set up a new gaming PC and as I apply new settings I continue to be prompted to sign in or use my Windows password or it will ask me which account I want to use to sign in. When I check under the account icon at the top right corner of the screen it gives me the option to use another account to sign in then won't allow it. How do I check if there are two Microso

:)

Max Sullo, Jan 6, 2024

2. delete duplicate account

Hi RogerBlair1-

Thank you for keeping me posted and I do apologize for the delay.

When you open the settings and navigate on the account settings, how many account did you see?

Kindly follow the steps below and check how many accounts is registered in your Windows computer.

Press windows key + R

Type: netplwiz

Press enter.

User accounts will appear, check how many accounts are listed.

If there are any duplicate accounts on your computer even if they use the same Microsoft account, then the duplicate account should appear on the list.

If there are 2 accounts listed, verify which is the duplicate account and remove it.

Kindly ensure to back up all your files first before doing the process to avoid data loss.

Hope this will help and have a bless day!

Thanks.

Kevin B.

Independent advisor

Kevin Bart., Jan 6, 2024
  3. delete duplicate account

Kevin B, thank you. T ran netplwiz as you suggested, found the duplicate account, and deleted it. All is now well.

Again, thank you.

RogerBlair1, Jan 6, 2024
  4. Vesao Win User

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:

Vesao, Jan 6, 2024
Thema:

1. how do I delete a duplicate account - Similar Threads - delete duplicate account

2. how do I delete a duplicate account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do I delete a duplicate account: I think that there have been 2 accounts set up, both with the same email address as the username but I can't tell the difference - only sometimes it wont let me log in. Initially there was an account set up for Xbox, now I am trying to set up a new gaming PC and as I apply...
  3. I have duplicate pictures in One Drive. How do I delete just the duplicates? If I do...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have duplicate pictures in One Drive. How do I delete just the duplicates? If I do...: I accidentally uploaded a lot of pictures twice, so, I have duplicates in One Drive. How do I delete just the duplicates? If I do that, will they be deleted from my phone too, because One Drive has access from the cloud to my phone....
  4. I have duplicate pictures in One Drive. How do I delete just the duplicates? If I do...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have duplicate pictures in One Drive. How do I delete just the duplicates? If I do...: I accidentally uploaded a lot of pictures twice, so, I have duplicates in One Drive. How do I delete just the duplicates? If I do that, will they be deleted from my phone too, because One Drive has access from the cloud to my phone....
  5. delete duplicate account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    delete duplicate account: I accidentally created an extra account that is tied to my Microsoft account using the same email address. How do I delete it without deleting my main account? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-duplicate-account/6491a6dc-6310-4198-be62-1a3a904fb63d
  6. delete duplicate account

delete duplicate account: I accidentally created an extra account that is tied to my Microsoft account using the same email address. How do I delete it without deleting my main account? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-duplicate-account/6491a6dc-6310-4198-be62-1a3a904fb63d
  7. delete duplicate account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
  8. Duplicate Account Not Deleted

in Windows 10 Customization
    Duplicate Account Not Deleted: I am extremely frustrated because I tried to sign in to OneNote several months ago. I thought it would be easier to sign in with the phone number associated with my existing account, rather than typing up the difficult email address. Instead, Microsoft created a whole new...
  9. deleting email accounts, how do I do this

deleting email accounts, how do I do this: I have 3 email accounts and want to delete 2 of them https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleting-email-accounts-how-do-i-do-this/7b54cf0c-21a4-49bf-be59-024aa5c19b5f
  10. Delete duplicate account

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Delete duplicate account: Hi. I inadvertently created two Microsoft accounts using the same email address and password. The first a couple years ago as personal and recently another when I bought Office 365. Now it seems to take me to the old personal account whenever I log in. This means I...