Windows 10: How do I create a local account in windows 11?

Discus and support How do I create a local account in windows 11? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; How do you creat a local account in windows 11?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Ron Hartman1, Aug 1, 2024.

1. How do I create a local account in windows 11?

How do you creat a local account in windows 11?

:)

Ron Hartman1, Aug 1, 2024

2. How to create a Local account in Windows 11

Windows 11, the latest Operating system by Microsoft is released on October 5th, 2021. When you set up a device for the first time, the user is strongly recommended to use Microsoft Account as it offers a lot of advantages compared to a Local account. For Home editions, there is no option to create a local account during the first run. Afterwards you have set your primary account as Microsoft Account, you can create a Local account if you need. This article shows how to Create a new Local account in Windows 11.

Microsoft Account vs Local account

A Local account is a kind of Offline account, where the detail is limited to only one PC. No data is synced over to other computers, and for apps that require sign in, need to be signed in separately using a Microsoft Account.

A Microsoft Account is an online account, which uses your email and password to sign in to the computer. It offers more security, provides more recovery options in case you forget your PIN or Password, Sync your themes, apps and settings to the other devices with the same Microsoft account, reduces activation hassle etc etc. One of my personal favorites is OneNote app - If I note something on a notebook, I can quickly access them on another computer as long as I am using the same Microsoft Account. In Windows 11, the start menu has a separate section for the files you recently accessed, provided they are on another computer.

How to Create a Local account in Windows 11

I list 3 methods to Create Local account in Windows 11 apart from the Settings app which is known to all, starting from the UI to the command line.

1. Create a Local account using netplwiz

• Press Win+R Keys to open Run dialog box.
    • Type netplwiz and press enter.
    • Click Add button.

How do I create a local account in windows 11? 6376d4f0-bc42-432e-8590-8beacb2c3f5b?upload=true.png

• Click Sign in without a Microsoft Account. For Windows 10 Home, if you do not see that option, disconnect from the Internet.
    • Click Local account if prompted.
    • Type the username you want, and the password. You must also specify a hint. Click Next.

How do I create a local account in windows 11? 69c640ab-7693-41f5-a79e-ad9f178dacd0?upload=true.png

• Click Finish.
    • Log off and log in to the new account.
    Add a Local account using command Prompt.

Microsoft also offers an option to create a Local account using Command line. To create a Local account using Command Prompt(You can also use Terminal or Windows Powershell), see the steps below:

• Type cmd in the search, right-click it and press enter. Alternatively, press Win+R, type cmd in Run and Press Ctrl+Shift+Enter.
    • Execute the command in the following format:
    net user "<Username>" "<Password>" /add

• Replace <Username> with the desired username, and <Password> with the desired password.

How do I create a local account in windows 11? 308cf659-4aee-4f07-b063-f34a73858e3d?upload=true.png

These steps can show you how to add a new local user account to Windows 11. If you want, you can promote the account from a standard account(by default), to an administrator that can make system wide changes, using the steps below:

• Go to: Settings>Accounts>Family and other users.
    • Under Other users, click "Change Account type".
    • Change it to Administrator.

How do I create a local account in windows 11? 031d1608-1a59-428c-8d53-93b9ab0e9f18?upload=true.png

How do I create a local account in windows 11? 37700570-77fa-4b5f-8df2-14ea3b813f6e?upload=true.png
    Sumit (@_sumitdhiman) / Twitter

Sumit (Volunteer Moderator), Aug 1, 2024
  3. Local account installation question

I'm fairly certain that Skip this step was available in 10.0.130 - the workaround in Step 20 (back button) is no longer required.

The currently known, as of 10.0.130, ways to create a Local account sign-in are
    • Skip this step at the MS account creation phase
    • No Internet connection during the install
    • static IP (post# 2 by Fragment) - New (to me anyway)

Slartybart, Aug 1, 2024
  4. Kari Win User

How do I create a local account in windows 11?

Creating a MS account without losing Local account

Go to https://account.microsoft.com, click Create account and fill the form:

How do I create a local account in windows 11? 110153d1485973971t-creating-ms-account-without-losing-local-account-image.png

With a Microsoft account you can then use OneDrive and Office Online apps for free. You can also use built-in native Windows apps which require a Microsoft account like Mail, Skype Preview, People, Calendar and download apps from Windows Store.

See steps 3 to 5 in this tutorial to continue using local account as Windows sign-in account even when / if you download apps from store and / or use Windows apps requiring a Microsoft account, to avoid Windows user account converting to Microsoft account: Store - Use when Signing in to Windows 10 with Local Account - Windows 10 Forums

Other tutorials you might be interested in when you have created a Microsoft account:

Kari, Aug 1, 2024
Thema:

How do I create a local account in windows 11?

1. How do I create a local account in windows 11? - Similar Threads - create local account

2. How do I create a local account in windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I create a local account in windows 11?: How do you creat a local account in windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-create-a-local-account-in-windows-11/325bef35-52be-4114-abad-a9d9913eb30b
  3. How do i create a work account to access windows 11?

How do i create a work account to access windows 11?: So i got a totally legal copy of windows 11 running on a VM today and I'm halfway through and then microsoft asks for me to sign in with a work/school account. I found a guide on how to set one up BUT it requires WINDOWS 10 and i use LINUX MINT. I do have a windows VM windows...
  4. How do i create a work account to access windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i create a work account to access windows 11?: So i got a totally legal copy of windows 11 running on a VM today and I'm halfway through and then microsoft asks for me to sign in with a work/school account. I found a guide on how to set one up BUT it requires WINDOWS 10 and i use LINUX MINT. I do have a windows VM windows...
  5. How to create a local account in Windows 11 with restriction to access internet and USB...

How to create a local account in Windows 11 with restriction to access internet and USB...: Dear all,I am using Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, OS build: 22631.3593. I am the admin user of the PC.I want to create a local user for my staff to read some confidential documents. Therefore, I need to restrict that local user to access internet and USB storage, i.e. no...
  6. How to create a local account in Windows 11 with restriction to access internet and USB...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to create a local account in Windows 11 with restriction to access internet and USB...: Dear all,I am using Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, OS build: 22631.3593. I am the admin user of the PC.I want to create a local user for my staff to read some confidential documents. Therefore, I need to restrict that local user to access internet and USB storage, i.e. no...
  7. Creating a duplicate local account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating a duplicate local account: I am wanting to create a duplicate local user account in Windows 11 so that settings such as how the taskbar and start menu are set up, notifications settings, etc. move over. How can I do this?...
  8. How to create new Local Account in Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    How to create new Local Account in Windows 11: [ATTACH]If you want to create a new Local Account in Windows 11, here is how you can do that. There are three ways to create an offline account in Windows 11 when you are already signed in, and all of them are equally handy at times. There are two ways to use Windows 11 on...
  9. How to create Local Administrator Account in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to create Local Administrator Account in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Sometimes, you may want to add a new administrator account in Windows 10 to […] This article How to create Local Administrator Account in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  10. Creating a Local Account in Windows 10?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Creating a Local Account in Windows 10?: Hi guys, When setting up Windows 10 to create a Local Account, do I need to have my Last Name there or can I have only my First name? I am only setting up a Local Account and NOT a Microsoft account. So can I enter my First name only when I create my local account...