Windows 10: How do I change my File Explorer file icons?

Discus and support How do I change my File Explorer file icons? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; So, for the past 2 years I've been using the "newer" version of the icons The icons like the green download icon, purple videos icon, basically the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Marcus Dieforio, Oct 18, 2023.

1. How do I change my File Explorer file icons?

So, for the past 2 years I've been using the "newer" version of the icons The icons like the green download icon, purple videos icon, basically the more modern looking icons. It seem like the new icons are called "Fluent icons". I did a software update yesterday before going to bed, and when I turned my PC on the next day, all the icons were changed into the 'old' versions of the icons. The icons that are mostly white and blue, the OGs basically I tried manually changing all the icons, but no prevail. I also can't find a video explaining the problem anywhere. Is the any way I can use the F

:)

Marcus Dieforio, Oct 18, 2023
  2. sturpe Win User

Cannot find Desktop Icon in File Explorer

Now that is interesting. If I do what you suggest, File Explorer Address bar changes to C:\Users\username\documents and the missing ICONS are there. But there is still not a "Desktop" folder.

Is this a step in the right direction?

sturpe, Oct 18, 2023
  3. temp02 Win User
    Windows Explorer crashing due to large files

It's an .exe right? Explorer probably read its icon (to a cache) when it was a "small" file and now call the quits when it finds "such a big" file.

If you want to delete it, use the console after killing explorer, you can run the console from TaskManager (Application -> New Task -> cmd). You might want to try copy the file to a different location (copy, not cut) and see if explorer can handle it in the new location before deleting it.

temp02, Oct 18, 2023
  4. Phil D Win User

How do I change my File Explorer file icons?

File Explorer Navigation Pane Default Icons Have Changed

Hello! First time posting here.

I asked this question about a week ago on the HP community, and although a suggestion was offered, the problem persists.

I cannot give an exact date, but at some point my File Explorer Navigation Pane Icons changed from the default:

How do I change my File Explorer file icons? 012d1580329316t-file-explorer-navigation-pane-default-icons-have-changed-navigation-pane-default.jpg

to this:

How do I change my File Explorer file icons? 013d1580329385t-file-explorer-navigation-pane-default-icons-have-changed-navigation-pane-changed.jpg

Notice they are folder icons with the unique icon picture 'overlay'

Brief history:
    • I have had my HP Spectre x360 15 (4K touch display) for about 6 weeks.
    • Initial file transfer was done using Windows (7) Easy Transfer (migwiz) which I have used on other machines without incident. Using the advanced selection; no settings were transferred, just Documents, Pictures, Music, Video.
    • I do not use any outside themes; just experimented a few times using the built in HP themes.
    • I have gone so far as to try overriding the current icons using the registry modifications mentioned in this Ten Forums post: Change Icons of Folders in This PC in Windows 10
    • When I tried the suggestions in Option One, the only change which occurred was that the unique icon picture was removed and only the plain folder icon remained. Yet the registry entries outlined in Option 2 “Change Icons of Folders in This PC for All Users” all appear to be correct.
    • There are no “exotic” programs on the computer – just Office 365, Adobe Photoshop/Premiere Elements, Bootstrap Studio, Inkscape, etc.
    Purchased at the same time was an HP Envy x360 laptop which is almost identical in specifications and installed programs except it has a regular Full HD touch screen (1920x1080). The Navigation Pane icons there are the expected 'default' as shown in the second screenshot.

Any ideas what may have caused this and any suggestions how to get the default icons back?

Phil D, Oct 18, 2023
Thema:

How do I change my File Explorer file icons?

1. How do I change my File Explorer file icons? - Similar Threads - change File Explorer

2. How do I change my File Explorer file icons to the New versions Fluent Design?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change my File Explorer file icons to the New versions Fluent Design?: So, for the past 2 years I've been using the "newer" version of the icons The icons like the green download icon, purple videos icon, the icons you can see in the 'after' section of the picture HERE. It seem like the new icons are called "Fluent design". I did a software...
  3. How do I change my File Explorer file icons to the New versions Fluent Design?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I change my File Explorer file icons to the New versions Fluent Design?: So, for the past 2 years I've been using the "newer" version of the icons The icons like the green download icon, purple videos icon, the icons you can see in the 'after' section of the picture HERE. It seem like the new icons are called "Fluent design". I did a software...
  4. How do I change my File Explorer file icons to the New versions Fluent Design?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How do I change my File Explorer file icons?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I change my File Explorer file icons?: So, for the past 2 years I've been using the "newer" version of the icons The icons like the green download icon, purple videos icon, basically the more modern looking icons. It seem like the new icons are called "Fluent icons". I did a software update yesterday before going...
  6. How do I change my File Explorer file icons?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change my File Explorer file icons?: So, for the past 2 years I've been using the "newer" version of the icons The icons like the green download icon, purple videos icon, basically the more modern looking icons. It seem like the new icons are called "Fluent icons". I did a software update yesterday before going...
  7. How do I change the icons in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the icons in File Explorer?: I'm trying to make my Windows 11 pc look like Windows 7 without having to downgrade, but I've been having trouble changing the icons of the main folders in File Explorer Desktop, Downloads, etc.How do I do this?...
  8. How do I change the icons in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I change the icons in File Explorer?: I'm trying to make my Windows 11 pc look like Windows 7 without having to downgrade, but I've been having trouble changing the icons of the main folders in File Explorer Desktop, Downloads, etc.How do I do this?...
  9. Changing drive icons in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing drive icons in File Explorer: I have two HP laptops. On one, I have successfully changed the drive icons for both my local and mapped network drives by using the Registry Editor and navigating to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons and creating keys and values...
  10. File explorer icon changes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer icon changes: [IMG] Hi, whenever I open file explorer and go to something like desktop, it opens a new window and changes the icon to the desktop icon. This is true for thing like documents where it opens the window and changes the icon to the documents icon. Below is an example. Any...