Windows 10: How can I deploy multiple .wim images using Windows Deployment Services?

Discus and support How can I deploy multiple .wim images using Windows Deployment Services? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; We use WDS to deploy images to our systems. We need to be able to deploy two images across our domain. Can WDS do this? If so, how? If not, what other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Andy Sheppard1, May 15, 2023.

1. How can I deploy multiple .wim images using Windows Deployment Services?

We use WDS to deploy images to our systems. We need to be able to deploy two images across our domain. Can WDS do this? If so, how? If not, what other options are there?

:)

Andy Sheppard1, May 15, 2023
  2. Junaid_A Win User

Import Capture WIM file at the time of deployment

Hi Syed,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Using MDT, you could ideally have a single WIM that can take up model specific drivers during deployment, rather than having multiple WIMs. For more information on this, I would suggest you to post your query in the

MSDN Forums
    , where we have support professionals well equipped with the knowledge on driver management for deploying boot images.

Regards,

Junaid_A, May 15, 2023
  3. Argyle Win User
    How can I deploy a custom WIM image to new machines over the network?

I was provided a WIM file that was created and managed by another group using the ImageX program to mount and modify a Windows 10 install ISO. I am trying to research if it's possible to use MDT/ADK on Windows Server 2016 to allow new machines to boot from the network and install the custom image.

I have been trying to follow this guide ignoring any of the steps that go into creating a new deployment images from a standard Windows 10 install ISO. I encounter an error when trying to following this step:

I am able to load my custom WIM file, but it errors when trying to create the catalog file. The error message is basically reporting an "Unknown error". I've looked online for some troubleshooting steps, but can't seem to find any that deal specifically with my situation. Is there any straight-forward guide on how to take an existing WIM image and deploy it to new machines over the network?

Argyle, May 15, 2023
  4. Kari Win User

How can I deploy multiple .wim images using Windows Deployment Services?

Customised Windows 10 deployment on multiple desktops and laptops.

OK, after giving this a thought and thinking how I would do it, here's my suggestion. Please notice that, as I said, this is how I would do it. Other geeks might disagree with parts or all of it.

I tested this scenario using one Hyper-V VM as technician machine (the one to build image) and three virtual machines to test simultaneous deployment in two scenarios:
    • Capturing install.wim from technician machine and using DISM to apply / deploy image from a network share
    • Capturing install.wim from technician machine, making ISO from it, deploying by clean installing from ISO burned to Flash drive
    Based on the fact that ISO method is clearly faster and simpler, it is what I suggest to you. I estimate you would need an hour and half to two hours to customize install image, capture it and make an ISO, then assuming you would make 5 Flash drives for install / deployment you would need about half an hour per five machines, in other words you would deploy to those 25 new machines in less than three hours, almost a full working day to deploy those 50 existing ones.

Two working days, day 1 to make the image and deploy to new machines, day 2 to deploy to old ones.

Chronological workflow based on my suggestion:

Phase 1, Image customization tutorial, parts One through Six:
    • Install Windows 10 on a technician machine (I recommend Hyper-V VM but any capable PC is OK)
    • Boot to Audit Mode
    • Update Windows, install software, customize & personalize Windows
    • Sysprep
    Phase 2:
    • Capture the install.wim from technician machine as told in this tutorial, Part Four steps 4.1 through 4.5 (physical PC as technician machine) or Part Four steps 4.6 through 4.13 (Hyper-V VM as technician machine)
    • Create ISO as told in same tutorial, Part Five
    • Burn / write ISO to as many Flash drives as you want to / need to for simultaneous installs
    • Boot production machines from Flash drive, install Windows 10
    The above is how I would do this. If you choose the DISM method instead, applying install.wim from a network share, see this Microsoft support article: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../hh824910.aspx

For more advanced deployment using MDT see this article: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../dn475741.aspx

Thema:

How can I deploy multiple .wim images using Windows Deployment Services?

1. How can I deploy multiple .wim images using Windows Deployment Services? - Similar Threads - deploy multiple wim

2. How can I deploy multiple .wim images using Windows Deployment Services?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can I deploy multiple .wim images using Windows Deployment Services?: We use WDS to deploy images to our systems. We need to be able to deploy two images, an OS image and a data image, across our domain. Can WDS do this? If so, how? If not, what other options are there?...
  3. How can I deploy multiple .wim images using Windows Deployment Services?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I deploy multiple .wim images using Windows Deployment Services?: We use WDS to deploy images to our systems. We need to be able to deploy two images across our domain. Can WDS do this? If so, how? If not, what other options are there?...
  4. Imported folder into imaging WIM via dism, during image deployment, deployment acts like...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Imported folder into imaging WIM via dism, during image deployment, deployment acts like...: I had to add a folder to my imaging WIM file and used DISM to mount the WIM. I was able to mount the WIM and add the folder.When I unmount and save changes. Insert the WIM into my MDT > task sequence the deployment kicks off and completes but it does not recognize the...
  5. Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Error

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Error: [img] After Updating and cleaning the system I ran Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool and it reported an error. Log file attached. What should I do to correct the error? Log file attached. 167738
  6. Can I deploy custom Windows 10 Home image on multiple devices?

Can I deploy custom Windows 10 Home image on multiple devices?: First, all of my devices have licensed and activated on each device. I also have Office 365 which includes multiple accounts I can assign. I’m not attempting to sidestep payment or steal licenses, etc. The problem is I have the curse of perfectionism and I want all...
  7. Windows 10 - Custom WIM Image - Deployment via USB Storage

Windows 10 - Custom WIM Image - Deployment via USB Storage: Hi, I've built a Windows 10 image from scratch on a laptop (HP), the model is used widely within the company I work for. We currently use a WDS server setup to install the image upon the relevant hardware platforms. However, network speeds and restrictions (no internet...
  8. What is Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What is Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool?: Hi, What is Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool? I never heard of this tool. I ran this after running sfc /scannow, which showed corrupted files. Then, running sfc /scannow again cleared the corrupted files. Is there a list of repair tools available from...
  9. Windows Deployment Service to Deploy Bitlocker

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Deployment Service to Deploy Bitlocker: Hello I'm using WDS Version: 6.2.9200.16384 in a 2016 domain. I would like to deploy Windows 10 with Bit locker enabled. I've read some long complicated articles about the subject and was wondering if somebody had a simpler way? I understand TPM must be enabled. So, it...
  10. WIN10 activation of deployed image (Multiple PCs)

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    WIN10 activation of deployed image (Multiple PCs): Hello tenforums! After spending some 60 hours I taught myself how to image a hard disk, and spread it over the network using a switch and a master computer. My setup: 1 master PC with win10 image 1 switch 1 router with TFTP/DHCP 23 receiving PCs Clonezilla DRBL software...