Windows 10: Highlighting of text does not work correctly

Discus and support Highlighting of text does not work correctly in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Back in March of 2023, Robert Twyman reported that highlighting text and the drag and drop features work poorly or not at all. His description of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Mark SANDVIGEN, Dec 7, 2023.

1. Highlighting of text does not work correctly

Back in March of 2023, Robert Twyman reported that highlighting text and the drag and drop features work poorly or not at all. His description of the problem was exemplary:When I attempt to highlight text and hold down the mouse button at where I want it to start, the following happens:1. It does not highlight at all2. It may start to highlight 3 or 4 words in or several lines later then on releasing the mouse button the highlighted text might remain on or turn off.3. It starts to highlight correctly then turns it off on releasing the mouse button.4. It starts to highlight correctly but turns

:)

Mark SANDVIGEN, Dec 7, 2023

2. Highlighting of text does not work correctly

Highlighting of text does not work correctly

When I attempt to highlight text and hold down the mouse button at where I want it to start

The following happens

1. It does not highlight at all

2. It may start to highlight 3 or 4 words in or several lines later then on releasing the mouse button

The highlight might remain on or turn off

3. It starts to highlight correctly then turns it off on releasing the button

4. It starts to highlight correctly but turns off without releasing the button

5. It does it correctly

6. Starting at the end of the text it does it correctly more often though still get the same problems as above

It does this if I use either the wireless mouse or the touchpad on the machine

It happens using Browsers Word Processors Spreadsheets etc.

This problem first appeared after a windows update in September or October Windows downloaded some more updates a few days later and the problem disappeared

With the windows update in December the problem started again and is still happening

The machine is a Toshiba L850D and a Logitech M520 mouse running Windows 10 home

I have run device manager and several other third party software and they all tell I have the correct or latest drivers

I have done both virus and malware scans using several different software packages

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPP

RobertTwyman, Dec 7, 2023
  3. Left click Highlighting of any text does not work correctly & Sometimes it double clicks on single click action

Left click Highlighting of any text does not work correctly

Sometimes double clicks on single click

The issue happens on multiple systems –

I have 5 computer systems (1 desktop 4 Laptop various makes/models)

• Custom Desktop
    • Lenovo Legion Y520
    • Lenovo Yoga 710
    • HP Specter X360
    • Dell Inspiron 3153 11

All Windows 10

All mouse / trackball / touch pad

• Trackball/Thumb ball Logitech M570
    • Insignia NS-PNM3BBBK
    • Generic Gaming Mouse
    • Built in touch pad

When I attempt to highlight text and hold down the mouse button at where I want it to start, the following happens

• It does not highlight at all
    • It may start to highlight 3 or 4 words in or several lines later then on releasing the mouse button
    • The highlight might remain on or turn off
    • It starts to highlight correctly then turns it off on releasing the button
    • It starts to highlight correctly but turns off without releasing the button
    • It does it correctly
    • It will sometimes skip and move the middle of a word or sentence to another area
    • Starting at the end of the text it does it correctly more often though still get the same problems as listed above.

It does this if I use either the wireless mouse or the touch pad on the machine

It happens while using Browsers (Chrome or Firefox), Word, Excel, etc.

I have already checked the following:

(Happens on multiple systems) – (may work for a few minutes, then back)

1. Additional mouse options
    2. Reboot Windows File Explorer
    3. Create a new local user account
    4. Clean boot and installing the latest Windows Update
    5. Uninstall and Reinstall the device
    6. Enable Single-Click to Open Items
    7. Hardware troubleshooter
    8. Restarted Router
    9. Changed USB port on the PC.
    10. File Explorer, View tab, Options, General, Single-click to open
    11. Entered sfc /scannow
    12. Boot in safe mode – Advanced startup
    13. Updated drivers
    14. Changed Anti-virus/system security software
    15. Ease of Access center
    16. Sticky Keys Disable
    17. Blink rate value of the cursor
    18. Changes mice

I think that just about covers everything - The only constant is Windows 10 - I also noticed that this issue goes back to at least 2006

Any and all suggestions (beyond what I have already tried) would be a great help

Thank you

ScorpionMaster1, Dec 7, 2023
  4. Anne Fuj Win User

We have looked further into this case and one possible reason why you are having this issue with highlighting text using the web based version of Word is your mouse settings. We recommend that you go through your mouse settings for us to isolate this. To
    do this:

• Press Windows key + I to open Settings.
    • Click Devices > Mouse & touchpad.
    • Under Related settings, click Additional mouse options and check your settings.

Update us with the result so we can assist you further.

Anne Fuj, Dec 7, 2023
Thema:

1. Highlighting of text does not work correctly - Similar Threads - Highlighting text does

2. Highlighting of text does not work correctly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Highlighting of text does not work correctly: Back in March of 2023, Robert Twyman reported that highlighting text and the drag and drop features work poorly or not at all. His description of the problem was exemplary:When I attempt to highlight text and hold down the mouse button at where I want it to start, the...
  3. Highlighting text does not work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Highlighting text does not work: Data highlighting to Copy data is not working correctly or consistently. Frequently when highlighting multiple letters or words the curser hangs up and stops moving so I can’t highlight all of the desired text. This occurs on multiple applications – Word, Outlook, Firefox,...
  4. Highlighting text does not work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Highlighting text does not work: Data highlighting to Copy data is not working correctly or consistently. Frequently when highlighting multiple letters or words the curser hangs up and stops moving so I can’t highlight all of the desired text. This occurs on multiple applications – Word, Outlook, Firefox,...
  5. Highlighting text does not work

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. highlighting text

in Windows 10 Customization
    highlighting text: i cannot highlight text. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/highlighting-text/4fb85490-8e25-4846-9b6e-63123bc04d65
  7. Highlighting text

in Windows 10 Customization
    Highlighting text: I want to highlight some text in an existing email so that I can copy it and reuse it. But the cursor has changed to a hand symbol - not the usual arrow - and it won't let me highlight. How can I restore it to the normal configuration?...
  8. Left click Highlighting of any text does not work correctly & Sometimes it double clicks on...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Left click Highlighting of any text does not work correctly & Sometimes it double clicks on...: Left click Highlighting of any text does not work correctly Sometimes double clicks on single click The issue happens on multiple systems – I have 5 computer systems 1 desktop 4 Laptop various makes/models Custom Desktop Lenovo Legion Y520 Lenovo Yoga 710 HP Specter...
  9. Highlighting of text does not work correctly 2019-12-30

Highlighting of text does not work correctly 2019-12-30: Data highlighting to Copy data is not working correctly or consistently. Frequently when highlighting multiple letters or words the curser hangs up and stops moving so I can’t highlight all of the desired text. This occurs on multiple applications – Word, Outlook, Firefox,...
  10. Highlighting of text does not work reliably

Highlighting of text does not work reliably: This topic was explained at length in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/highlighting-of-text-does-not-work-correctly/a1fdf1ac-b2e4-401d-9153-524c6d3b3366 I am having the same problem but I did not see any solutions in that message thread. NGeti...