Windows 10: Having trouble with Windows Networking. Some things like printer sharing don't work

Discus and support Having trouble with Windows Networking. Some things like printer sharing don't work in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I recently had a home network consisting of a Windows 7 Desktop and a Windows 11 Laptop. I had file and printer sharing working in both directions i.e.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Tom in Florida, Jul 23, 2024.

1. Having trouble with Windows Networking. Some things like printer sharing don't work

I recently had a home network consisting of a Windows 7 Desktop and a Windows 11 Laptop. I had file and printer sharing working in both directions i.e. I could access files on the laptop from the desktop and vice versa. Recently, my Windows 7 desktop died so I had to buy a new Desktop which had Windows 11. Currently, here is what's working.I can see the other computers in the Network portion of File Explorer. In other words, on the Desktop I see the Laptop and from the Laptop I can see the Desktop.I can access the files on the Desktop from the laptop by expanding the folder structure in Fil

:)

Tom in Florida, Jul 23, 2024
  2. HAT
    hat Win User

Can't share printer—getting error message

Yeah, I have windows firewall disabled, and I don't use any other firewall... mostly to prevent stupid issues like this.

None taken... and yeah, I do.

3. KTR
    ktr Win User
    printer won't work on network but will over usb

his printer has a built-in print server.

What you need to know what ip is being give to the printer. Perhaps you can print a status sheet from the printer.

Then Go to printers in control panel

add a new printer

local printer attached, uncheck automatically detect and install PnP printer

create a new port, select standard tcp/ip port

a new window should open and enter the ip there where it says printer name or IP address (port name then should be also be filled as you go)

and pretty much follow the rest of the steps, you will need to install the printer drivers.

These steps is the easy, but not the right way.

The right way is to use the network option on the initial screw and search for the printer server...but that can be tricky to configure.

4. newtekie1 Win User

Having trouble with Windows Networking. Some things like printer sharing don't work

Can't share printer—getting error message

Step 1: Go to store.
    Step 2: Buy a less shitty printer.
    Step 3: Pick up some beer while you are there.
    Step 4: Enjoy both your new printer and your beer.

In all seriousness, I have had more issues with Lexmark printers and their shitty drivers then any other manufacturer, HP is a close second though.

However, if you don't want to get a new printer*Laugh :laugh:, and I can understand that, when my Lexmark was giving me the same troubles in Win7(and Vista) I had to make sure the Windows firewall was ON and the firewall service was enabled and running. After I shared it I could re-disable the firewall and firewall services.

newtekie1, Jul 23, 2024
Thema:

Having trouble with Windows Networking. Some things like printer sharing don't work

1. Having trouble with Windows Networking. Some things like printer sharing don't work - Similar Threads - Having trouble Networking

2. Having trouble with Windows Networking. Some things like printer sharing don't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Having trouble with Windows Networking. Some things like printer sharing don't work: I recently had a home network consisting of a Windows 7 Desktop and a Windows 11 Laptop. I had file and printer sharing working in both directions i.e. I could access files on the laptop from the desktop and vice versa. Recently, my Windows 7 desktop died so I had to buy a...
  3. printer on shared network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    printer on shared network: I have just updated Window 11, after updating the window, I am unable to add printer shared on network. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-on-shared-network/3b1ac14f-dca7-473a-9590-663d80e24a9d
  4. after Windows 11 update some things don't work

after Windows 11 update some things don't work: Did a Windows 11 update, and now can't use Mail or Settings, I have them pinned to taskbar, they show as open on taskbar but won't open up.If I go into start panel and click on them in there, they don't work either. How do I fix this?...
  5. Windows 11 Add Printer not working for shared network printer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Add Printer not working for shared network printer: Hi,I have just installed windows 11 after some intrepidation i am delighted with windows 11. So far all is working perfectly. Except one issue. we have a shared network printer connected to another PC. when i go to "Add a device" selecting add manually add a network...
  6. Windows 11 Add Printer not working for shared network printer

Windows 11 Add Printer not working for shared network printer: Hi,I have just installed windows 11 after some intrepidation i am delighted with windows 11. So far all is working perfectly. Except one issue. we have a shared network printer connected to another PC. when i go to "Add a device" selecting add manually add a network...
  7. Network shared printers.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Network shared printers.: And so following the latest updates to Windows 21H1 networked computers are no longer able to access shared printers on the network. Can be 'seen' but cannot be connected to or used.~So just when is this major issue to be fixed?And don't come on here and tell me there is a...
  8. Trouble printing to shared printer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trouble printing to shared printer: Hi Everyone, This has been a tough one, never run into an issue like this before. I have a printer shared through a PC on the network, it was working fine until it appears MS updates may have broken it recently. It is the only thing that changed recently. the weird thing is...
  9. Having trouble with network printers suddenly disconnecting.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Having trouble with network printers suddenly disconnecting.: I work for a small business that has 6 printers connected to our network, 2 are connected directly into the network while the other 4 are connected by USB and shared to the network by the computer they are plugged into. I am the unofficial tech expert of my business, and have...
  10. Printer sharing on network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Printer sharing on network: I have a new MFC installed on a network computer but connected via USB. The printer is set up to share and I can connect and print from another desktop on a wired network. However, I can not load the printer utilities and remotely configure the MFC. The error message says the...