Windows 10: having trouble copying files between external USB drives

Discus and support having trouble copying files between external USB drives in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am trying to copy some folders from a 4TB USB external drive to a 8TB USB external drive both are connected to a USB 3 hub. For a while the copying... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Artoo Smith, Jul 15, 2020.

1. having trouble copying files between external USB drives

I am trying to copy some folders from a 4TB USB external drive to a 8TB USB external drive both are connected to a USB 3 hub. For a while the copying seems to go well and then all of a sudden the speed drops to 0MB/s and don't get any errors or any indication why the copying freezes. I guessed it might be catching up with the buffering so I just left it be. Windows itself did not freeze and I was able to do other tasks and use the keyboard and mouse. After about 5 minutes nothing had changed in regards to the copying, and the speed never changed from 0MB/s. It was about 67% complete. I was thinking that there might be a problem with the hub so I disconnected the drives and connected them to the USB 3 ports on the computer case and tried again. I got the same thing again and this time the only task that was running was the copying of the files.

:)

Artoo Smith, Jul 15, 2020
  2. Xylee Del Win User

Regarding copying of files in external drive from pc

Hi,

The message that appeared on your screen may have occurred due to the possible missing files if you'll try to copy it that way. We suggest that you follow these steps on how you can copy the file together with it's properties:

• Right click on the application (Bully) and click Properties.
    • On the application properties window, under the Shortcut tab, click
      Open File Location.
    • The File Location window will open.
    • Select everything. Copy and paste it to the external drive.
    • The copying process may take a while depending on the type of files.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Xylee Del, Jul 15, 2020
  3. Cannot copy files from external drive

Hi,

Thank you for replying back to us.

1. Did you try to create a new user account and try to copy the files from your external drive to your computer?
    2. What is the location that you are trying to past the file? For example, are you pasting the files from your external drive to your Desktop, Documents, or somewhere else?
    3. Are you able to copy the same files from the external drive to the some other PC?
    4. Are the files write protected on your external drive?

Meanwhile, try the below troubleshooting steps.

Step 1: Go to the destination folder on your computer, where you are trying to copy the files from your external drive. Let’s create a
    New Folder on your desktop.

Step 2: Double click on New Folder from your desktop and
    Right Click on some blank space and click on Properties
    and go to General tab.

Step 3: Under Attributes, completely uncheck the
    Read-only option. (The box should be blank, check it again if it has a checkmark or a small square inside it).

Step 3: Click on Apply and
    OK

Step 4: Now, open one of the files on your external drive and do the same, i.e.,
    Right Click on a file (NOT THE FOLDER) >
    Properties
    > General and under Attributes, uncheck
    Read-only option.

Step 5: Click on Apply and
    OK

Now, see if you are able to copy this file from your external drive to your computer.

Hope it helps.

Shafeeq_Khan, Jul 15, 2020
  4. lZKoce Win User

having trouble copying files between external USB drives

Slow speeds when copying on external drive

Hi all,

since I installed TeraCopy I started to monitor my copy speeds and they are un-usually slow. Here is a real example. Laptop specs are in my profile, I have 3 USB 3.0 ports + 1 Super charge (the yellow one). Regular 8GB USB 2.0 flash drive. It copies at exactly 6MB/s from my laptop. I put it on another weaker specs laptop- 16MB/s, (same flash drive, same file). I hoked to a 10 years old DELL laptop- same result- 16mb/s. Tried with external HDD, same slow copy speeds from my USB ports. Seriously?

One solution I saw was to go to Device manager->Drives->Policies and switch to "Better performance", but use the icon to unplug the drive. Haven't tested with my drive, but another showed no difference at all.

I have no un-recognized devices on the list:

having trouble copying files between external USB drives Device%20manager%201.png

lZKoce, Jul 15, 2020
Thema:

having trouble copying files between external USB drives

1. having trouble copying files between external USB drives - Similar Threads - having trouble copying

2. Copying large amount of files/folders between external drives fails. Corrupted file system...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copying large amount of files/folders between external drives fails. Corrupted file system...: Windows 11 homeSource drive health report indicated something might be going upRobocopy Folders/Files from source drive to target drive failed. filename linkage errors.Reformatted target drive NTFS deep formatUsed Windows explorer to manually move small batches of...
  3. Copying large amount of files/folders between external drives fails. Corrupted file system...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copying large amount of files/folders between external drives fails. Corrupted file system...: Windows 11 homeSource drive health report indicated something might be going upRobocopy Folders/Files from source drive to target drive failed. filename linkage errors.Reformatted target drive NTFS deep formatUsed Windows explorer to manually move small batches of...
  4. can not copy files to external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can not copy files to external drive: I need to copy folders with the included files from my hard drive to an external drive. This is for safe keeping. I can copy the folders but the files are not copied over....
  5. can not copy files to external drive

can not copy files to external drive: I need to copy folders with the included files from my hard drive to an external drive. This is for safe keeping. I can copy the folders but the files are not copied over....
  6. Copying multiple files to an external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copying multiple files to an external hard drive.: I am running Windows 11 and I want to copy multiple folders containing multiple files from one external hard drive to another. Prior to my upgrading to Windows 11, I was able to perform this operation. As the following screen print shows: the copy process starts.The next...
  7. Copying multiple files to an external hard drive.

Copying multiple files to an external hard drive.: I am running Windows 11 and I want to copy multiple folders containing multiple files from one external hard drive to another. Prior to my upgrading to Windows 11, I was able to perform this operation. As the following screen print shows: the copy process starts.The next...
  8. Cannot copy to an external USB hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot copy to an external USB hard drive: I can copy from, but not to ANY I have tried multiple external HDDs, ports and cables external drive. Whether I copy paste or drag drop, most times it will copy 1 or 2 files, then the copy stops, the drive disconnect chime occurs and explorer crashes. Most times I get...
  9. Trouble accessing files on external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trouble accessing files on external hard drive: I am am having trouble accessing files from an external hard drive. Getting 0x80004005 error message and other errors "can not access files". I have shared and given permissions for all the files but still no luck The external hard drive was one of a shared network of...
  10. Copy WinSXS file to usb drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Copy WinSXS file to usb drive: I have two desktops - exactly same specs - Windows 10 10240. One runs SFC Scannow showing no corruption and DISM with no errors. The other has corruption but SFC can't fix and Dism can't find source files. My thinking is if I can use the 1st pc's WinSXS files to run DISM,...