Windows 10: Having problems with Windows Media player. Cannot open to use this app have tried lots of...

Discus and support Having problems with Windows Media player. Cannot open to use this app have tried lots of... in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I am having problems with the Windows media player I Cannot open to use this app tried lots of things but no joy I Can see the app in the apps list... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by EileenWindle, Jul 11, 2024.

1. Having problems with Windows Media player. Cannot open to use this app have tried lots of...

I am having problems with the Windows media player I Cannot open to use this app tried lots of things but no joy I Can see the app in the apps list Help please

:)

EileenWindle, Jul 11, 2024

2. Windows Media Player is not in Default apps list in Windows 10

I know, this question was asked many times, but there is still no answer that can actually solve the problem. There are steps to get the WMP in Windows Optional Features, install it if missing, etc. - I did all that, and now WMP runs and plays media files. However, there is no way in Windows 10 to set it as a Default App to play media file types.

• Go to "Default apps" > "Music Player" > "Choose Default" - WMP is not there.
    • "Choose default apps by file type" > ".mp3" > "Choose a default" - WMP is not there.
    • "Set Defaults by app" > Windows Media Player is here! > select "Manage" > find ".mp3" > "Choose a default" - the only choice is "Look for an app in the Microsoft Store".

After a long time spent searching I found this article: How to make any program the default on Windows 10 - gHacks Tech News

Apparently after 1803 you are supposed to use hackers tools to set the Microsoft's own Windows Media Player as default. I used FileTypesMan as was suggested in the article, but when I try to change assignments for .mp3 files, I get "Error 5: Access is denied" from the tool. Also, if I right-click on an .mp3 file and select "Open with..." it still suggests me to go to Microsoft Store, open with Notepad, Paint, Word, but not Windows Media Player.

What is the proper way to make WMP the default media player, so it shows up in the Default apps list?

sun2sirius, Jul 11, 2024
  3. THRiLL KiLL, Jul 11, 2024
  4. Kem Mon Win User

Having problems with Windows Media player. Cannot open to use this app have tried lots of...

Broken Windows Media Player

Hi,

Have you tried running the troubleshooter for WMP? If not, we suggest that you try to run the troubleshooter and
    see if it helps. To run the troubleshooter, follow these steps:

• On the search bar, type
      Troubleshooting.

• Click on
      Programs.

• Under
      Media
      Player, click on
      Windows Media Player Settings
      and
      Windows Media Player Library.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Jul 11, 2024
Thema:

Having problems with Windows Media player. Cannot open to use this app have tried lots of...

1. Having problems with Windows Media player. Cannot open to use this app have tried lots of... - Similar Threads - Having problems Media

2. Having problems with Windows Media player. Cannot open to use this app have tried lots of...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Having problems with Windows Media player. Cannot open to use this app have tried lots of...: I am having problems with the Windows media player I Cannot open to use this app tried lots of things but no joy I Can see the app in the apps list Help please...
  3. Having problems with Windows Media player. Cannot open to use this app have tried lots of...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Having problems with Windows Media player. Cannot open to use this app have tried lots of...: I am having problems with the Windows media player I Cannot open to use this app tried lots of things but no joy I Can see the app in the apps list Help please...
  4. Having problems with Windows Media player. Cannot open to use this app have tried lots of...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. windows 11 is having a lot of problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 is having a lot of problems: I'm going through alot of different problems with keyboards taskbars multi screen audio and video errors. Since windows 11 is going through alot of issues i want to change my windows back to 10. Please tell me simplest way possible,...
  6. windows 11 is having a lot of problems

windows 11 is having a lot of problems: I'm going through alot of different problems with keyboards taskbars multi screen audio and video errors. Since windows 11 is going through alot of issues i want to change my windows back to 10. Please tell me simplest way possible,...
  7. having a lot of problems with SYSTEM_PTE_MISSUSE

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    having a lot of problems with SYSTEM_PTE_MISSUSE: Hello.My computer recently has some problems with a BSOD code "SYSTEM_PTE_MISSUSE". I tried looking up for the problem and cannot find a proper solution. Asked my friends and they told me to reset the motherboard, which did nothing. I also reinstalled the drivers for the...
  8. having a lot of problems with SYSTEM_PTE_MISSUSE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    having a lot of problems with SYSTEM_PTE_MISSUSE: Hello.My computer recently has some problems with a BSOD code "SYSTEM_PTE_MISSUSE". I tried looking up for the problem and cannot find a proper solution. Asked my friends and they told me to reset the motherboard, which did nothing. I also reinstalled the drivers for the...
  9. having a lot of problems with SYSTEM_PTE_MISSUSE

10. Cannot open Windows Media Player

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot open Windows Media Player: WMP does not show up in my start menu but does in my file menu. Only when I attempt to open either as admin. or from location, it does nothing. I have used it before so I know it is there and does work, but my music is in my Music file and I'm trying to transfer it to my...