Windows 10: Get Rid of News and Interests

Discus and support Get Rid of News and Interests in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; How can I permanently disable or remove News and Interests from my taskbar? Going to Windows Settings has not helped, as the News and Interests button... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Robert S Burns-Landrum, Jun 28, 2024.

1. Get Rid of News and Interests

How can I permanently disable or remove News and Interests from my taskbar? Going to Windows Settings has not helped, as the News and Interests button will simply reappear, about 10 minutes later. Likewise, opening Local Group Policy Editor yields the same result. I will list the steps to both methods I have tried, but both of them temporarily remove News and Interests from the taskbar. Somehow this button will automatically pop-up again. I would appreciate clear directions on how to completely, permanently remove this feature. Thank you.Method 1: Settings > Personalization > Taskbar >

:)

Robert S Burns-Landrum, Jun 28, 2024

2. Hide News and Interests in Windows 10

With the next release of Windows 10, Microsoft is testing News and Interests on the taskbar. With News and Interests, you get a quick glance of dynamic content throughout the day. This article discusses how to show or Hide News and Interests in the taskbar. As News and Interests is just a taskbar feature, you can either hide it or configure it to show the icon only.

Get Rid of News and Interests 0a43dc48-c907-484c-8806-0b4fd8f16148?upload=true.jpg

Disable News and Interests on Windows 10

To enable or Disable News and Interests in the taskbar, see the steps below:

1. Right-click the Taskbar on the desktop.
    2. Click News and Interests.
    3. Select Turn off from the list of options.
    4. If you want an icon only related to weather, select show Icon only.

Get Rid of News and Interests bba8d0b5-2fcb-4a94-aa45-3af7a0fab8f7?upload=true.png

These steps can help you disable News and Interests on the taskbar.

Sumit (Volunteer Moderator), Jun 28, 2024
  3. News and Interest

Thank you very much for reaching out! As an Independent Advisor and fellow Microsoft user, I'm more than happy to assist you.

Would you mind giving these steps a try and then informing me of the outcome?

1. Group Policy Settings:
      • If your system is part of a domain or managed by an organization, Group Policy settings might be configured to disable "News and Interests" on restart. You can check and modify these settings if you have administrative access.
      • Open the Local Group Policy Editor by running gpedit.msc.
      • Navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > News and interests.
      • Ensure that the policy "Enable news and interests on the taskbar" is set to "Enabled" or "Not Configured".
    2. Registry Settings:
      • Incorrect registry settings might cause the feature to turn off. You can check and modify the relevant registry keys.
      • Open the Registry Editor by running regedit.
      • Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Feeds.
      • Ensure the value for ShellFeedsTaskbarViewMode is set to 0 (show icon and text) or 1 (show only icon) .
    3. Windows Updates:
      • Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and check for updates.
    4. User Profile Corruption:
      • There might be an issue with your user profile. Try creating a new user account and see if the problem persists.
    5. Software Conflicts:
      • Try disabling or uninstalling recently installed software to see if it resolves the issue.
    6. System File Corruption:
      • Corrupted system files can cause various issues. Running the System File Checker (SFC) might help.
      • Open Command Prompt as an administrator and run

sfc /scannow

• This command attempts to repair the Windows image using files from Windows Update. If the process gets stuck, be patient and let it complete.

Please feel free to reach out if you require any additional assistance. I'm here to help!

Munkhbayar B., Jun 28, 2024
  4. Get Rid of News and Interests

News and interests shows notifications even though notifications are disabled

Do any of the steps in my first post get rid of New & Interests widget? There are more here if needed:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/disable-the-ne...

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-tur...

https://www.lifewire.com/disable-news-and-inter...

https://www.goodgearguide.com.au/article/689049...

Report back results for each step so I know what else to suggest.

Feel free to ask back any questions. Based on the results you post back I may have other suggestions if necessary.

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Greg Carmack, Jun 28, 2024
Thema:

Get Rid of News and Interests

1. Get Rid of News and Interests - Similar Threads - Rid News Interests

2. Fix "news and interests" or get rid of it

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Fix "news and interests" or get rid of it: It only intermittently opens, so I turned it off only to have it reappear in the task bar the next day. People have been asking about this broken functionality for years, and yet it never gets fixed. Seriously Msft if you can't fix it, just get rid of it. Most of the content...
  3. Fix "news and interests" or get rid of it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fix "news and interests" or get rid of it: It only intermittently opens, so I turned it off only to have it reappear in the task bar the next day. People have been asking about this broken functionality for years, and yet it never gets fixed. Seriously Msft if you can't fix it, just get rid of it. Most of the content...
  4. Fix "news and interests" or get rid of it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Get Rid of News and Interests

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Get Rid of News and Interests: How can I permanently disable or remove News and Interests from my taskbar? Going to Windows Settings has not helped, as the News and Interests button will simply reappear, about 10 minutes later. Likewise, opening Local Group Policy Editor yields the same result. I will list...
  6. Get Rid of News and Interests

Get Rid of News and Interests: How can I permanently disable or remove News and Interests from my taskbar? Going to Windows Settings has not helped, as the News and Interests button will simply reappear, about 10 minutes later. Likewise, opening Local Group Policy Editor yields the same result. I will list...
  7. News and Interest

in Windows 10 Gaming
    News and Interest: Why is it that every time I activate this feature, when the computer restarts it always goes back to Turn Off? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/news-and-interest/06154855-d79c-439c-9095-37bdec33f15c
  8. News and Interest

News and Interest: Why is it that every time I activate this feature, when the computer restarts it always goes back to Turn Off? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/news-and-interest/06154855-d79c-439c-9095-37bdec33f15c
  9. news and interests

news and interests: Thanks MS for the news & interests sarcasm... I have a metered connection and just what I need is something else to use my limited data. * Moved from Community Participation Center...
  10. news and interests

in Windows 10 Customization
    news and interests: cant see news and interests in taskbar menu or it's setting https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/news-and-interests/ddb92275-3860-45e7-935b-1b660312cf97