Windows 10: Folder in external hard drive shows empty

Discus and support Folder in external hard drive shows empty in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have a laptop that died. I now have the hard drive in an external case and am trying to access my documents under my user name. On my new laptop,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by CherylF., Oct 11, 2021.

1. CherylF. Win User

Folder in external hard drive shows empty

I have a laptop that died. I now have the hard drive in an external case and am trying to access my documents under my user name. On my new laptop, file explorer says the user folder is empty. But when I connect the external hard drive to another pc, it can access my documents under the same user folder that my laptop says is empty. I tried comparing settings for both to make sure hidden folders are shown and that the drive is shared but nothing works. I can access other users on the external drive but not my main one. How can I access the folder on my laptop?

:)

CherylF., Oct 11, 2021
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Oct 11, 2021
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    How to delete folder/files when "Item Not Found" + folder located in external hard-drive

Hi Juan,

There are possible factors for the folders to be missing or cannot be found. To isolate the issue, I have some
    questions for you:

• Were there any error messages when you connect your external hard drive to your PC?

• Have you tried searching for the folders while enabling the "show hidden files" in your external hard drive?

• Were there any changes made before the issue occurred?

• What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We'll be waiting for your response.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Oct 11, 2021
  4. Folder in external hard drive shows empty

external hard drive

Hi Chrpee,

If you can't find external hard drive on Disk management than the next step is using the diskpart via command line, please follow the steps below:-

On the keyboard hit ((Windows logo key + R key)) than type ((CMD))

Now the windows command line will appear, the next steps is to type ((diskpart))

After that type ((list disk)) to show you the list of hard disks with partitions

If you found your external hard drive one of the list than you need to type ((select disk number)), note: the number is a disk number

Once you selected the hard disk or partitions than type ((clean))

than type ((create partition primary))

than type ((select partition 1))

than type ((active))

than type ((format fs=ntfs quick))

than type ((assign))

last type ((exit))

Check if the external hard drive appeared, if not please see the link below for more info and let me know if you need any assist

https://uk.pcmag.com/dvd-burners/120624/what-to...

Abdirahman Issa, Oct 11, 2021
Thema:

Folder in external hard drive shows empty

1. Folder in external hard drive shows empty - Similar Threads - Folder external hard

2. External Hard Drive showing up on Windows, but folders not responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive showing up on Windows, but folders not responding: I have an external hard drive WD My Passport, which stopped working, but when I connect to my PC, I can see the folders. When I try to open the folders to copy the files, the windows says ''not responding.'' What should I do to recover my data?...
  3. External Hard Drive showing up on Windows, but folders not responding

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hard Drive showing up on Windows, but folders not responding: I have an external hard drive WD My Passport, which stopped working, but when I connect to my PC, I can see the folders. When I try to open the folders to copy the files, the windows says ''not responding.'' What should I do to recover my data?...
  4. External Hard Drive showing up on Windows, but folders not responding

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Folder in external hard drive shows empty

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder in external hard drive shows empty: I have a laptop that died. I now have the hard drive in an external case and am trying to access my documents under my user name. On my new laptop, file explorer says the user folder is empty. But when I connect the external hard drive to another pc, it can access my...
  6. Folder in external hard drive shows empty

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folder in external hard drive shows empty: I have a laptop that died. I now have the hard drive in an external case and am trying to access my documents under my user name. On my new laptop, file explorer says the user folder is empty. But when I connect the external hard drive to another pc, it can access my...
  7. External USB hard drive not showing

External USB hard drive not showing: Hello, I got a laptop, which I bought only last month and I decided to plug my external hard drive in. Everything was going fine for a while, until a couple of day later when my laptop refused to recognise my USB drive. I spent hours updating the BIOS, updating windows,...
  8. External Hard Drive Not Showing UP

External Hard Drive Not Showing UP: Hello, I am using a WD external hard drive to transfer files from one Windows 10 machine to others. The first machine saw the disk fine, and I added all of the data. The next two machines saw the disk fine, and I transferred all of the date. The fourth machine does not...
  9. external hard drive folders

external hard drive folders: I use an external hard drive for storage, and sleep mode was closing all open folders and files. I set "USB selective suspend setting" under Power Management to "Disabled", and now in sleep mode FILES stay open but FOLDERS are still closed which is pretty annoying. My...
  10. External hard drive not showing

External hard drive not showing: Hi, I've connected an external Samsung USB hard drive (not a stick) to my fully updated Win 10 PC and it doesn't show up in File manager. I've gone into Device manager and it shows it as: 'Samsung M3 Portable SCSI Disk Device' but it's not a SCSI drive....