Windows 10: File with lock icon

Discus and support File with lock icon in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi. I have a partial copy of an old HDD from my 2014 Windows XP.I have files on an HDD with a padlock icon and I want to open them. Despite the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by GioZT, Jul 11, 2024.

1. GioZT Win User

File with lock icon

Hi. I have a partial copy of an old HDD from my 2014 Windows XP.I have files on an HDD with a padlock icon and I want to open them. Despite the permissions being extended to "Everyone," when I double-click, it says: "YOU DO NOT HAVE PERMISSION TO OPEN THIS FILE. Contact the file owner or an administrator to obtain permission." The problem is that this file was on a PC that is no longer working.When I right-click, go to Properties, and check the personal tab, it says: "UNABLE TO APPLY PROPERTIES TO THE FILE. UNEXPECTED ERROR. ERROR 0X800071771 Unable to decrypt the specified file."How can I res

:)

GioZT, Jul 11, 2024

2. Windows 10 Lock Icon

I am having issues being able to paste files into a folder that has a lock icon on it. I am not the owner of the folder, my boss is. I am using Windows Pro 10 and my boss is using Windows 8.1. I can open files contained within the folder but cannot paste files into the folder. I have opened properties and gone to the security tab and I am listed within the Group or user names list and my permissions are all at allow. Any suggestions?

wsquality1, Jul 11, 2024
  3. Appended icon in some files in Win7

Ah LMAO

Now i think what's it is

The Admin account Im on has denied permissions of access for other users (cannot access folder lists, no reading no writting)

But I can others.

Some of the Fraps Movies I moved from C:/ other_user ... to D: ... but D is public for everyone. (games/data)

But still why the heck do encoded files retain that ... it's weird.

EDIT: There should be some win7 article on this, there should be more of these variants. But there's no LOCK icon on the folders either.

Also I found the LOCK icon to be kind of stupid ... when you have access it's shown as "locked" but when you dont have access it's not shown at all.

Yes the permissions are retained for other_user , it's denied and I also can't seems to remove that ... Ah these inherited permissions, need to move em around ... but need to wait to complete first.

RuskiSnajper, Jul 11, 2024
  4. File with lock icon

Lock Icon Sequence in a Toolbar

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below to arrange desktop icons.

• Right Click on desktop screen.

• Place the cursor on View.

• In drop down menu, select auto align and check.

Hope this information is helpful. For any further assistance on Windows, feel free to post your query on Microsoft Community Forum.

Thank you.

Deepak_Krishnan R, Jul 11, 2024
Thema:

File with lock icon

1. File with lock icon - Similar Threads - File lock icon

2. lock icon showing but the file isn't locked

in Windows 10 Gaming
    lock icon showing but the file isn't locked: I have this issue with windows i guess that i find really annoying. Lock icon over a file that was locked but i unlocked the file so i don't know how to "delete" the lockcan someone help....
  3. lock icon showing but the file isn't locked

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    lock icon showing but the file isn't locked: I have this issue with windows i guess that i find really annoying. Lock icon over a file that was locked but i unlocked the file so i don't know how to "delete" the lockcan someone help....
  4. File with lock icon

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File with lock icon: Hi. I have a partial copy of an old HDD from my 2014 Windows XP.I have files on an HDD with a padlock icon and I want to open them. Despite the permissions being extended to "Everyone," when I double-click, it says: "YOU DO NOT HAVE PERMISSION TO OPEN THIS FILE. Contact the...
  5. File with lock icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File with lock icon: Hi. I have a partial copy of an old HDD from my 2014 Windows XP.I have files on an HDD with a padlock icon and I want to open them. Despite the permissions being extended to "Everyone," when I double-click, it says: "YOU DO NOT HAVE PERMISSION TO OPEN THIS FILE. Contact the...
  6. Taskbar locked icons?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Taskbar locked icons?: It may be a dumb question, or maybe I'm the only one who wants this, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Is there a way for icons on the taskbar to remain locked on the left side, while when I open an app, the window opens on the right side of the taskbar instead of where the icon...
  7. Lock Icons appear on my files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lock Icons appear on my files: I am doing a lot of work in one folder. Yesterday, Lock icons appeared on each file, but they do not seem to be locked. I can open them with their applications, and do a save as to a different location. They save without the lock icon. I have scanned with Bit Defender and...
  8. Locking Icons Into Place

in Windows 10 Customization
    Locking Icons Into Place: Hello Community, I'm a computer teacher at a private elementary school, and I have students who move icons around, delete some, or add others. Most of the time it's harmless, however, it can slow down class when the next student to use one of those computers can't find...
  9. Lock Icon after moving Bitlocker files.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Lock Icon after moving Bitlocker files.: [img] Hi, I had some folders and files in a drive which were locked by Bitlocker. I did a re-install of my Windows 10 to add a SSD. During this, i just opened the the bitlocker drive with password and moved those files to an external drive(I did not decrypt them before...
  10. Change or Remove Lock Icon on Encrypted Files in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change or Remove Lock Icon on Encrypted Files in Windows 10: How to: Change or Remove Lock Icon on Encrypted Files in Windows 10 How to Change or Remove Lock Icon on Encrypted Files and Folders in Windows 10 The Encrypting File System (EFS) is the built-in encryption tool in Windows used to encrypt files and folders on NTFS...