Windows 10: File extensions, unable to hide

Discus and support File extensions, unable to hide in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello. I’m trying to hide file extensions in Word, Excel, etc. When I do the following nothing changes. I’ve tried this several times and also... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Joseph_Lynch##, Aug 1, 2021.

1. File extensions, unable to hide

Hello. I’m trying to hide file extensions in Word, Excel, etc. When I do the following nothing changes. I’ve tried this several times and also restarted my PC, and also tried Reset Folders, but nothing changes. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks. View>Options>Change folder and search options>Folder Options>View tab>Hide extensions for known file types checked>Apply to Folders>Do you want all folders of this type to match this folder’s view settings>Yes>OK

:)

Joseph_Lynch##, Aug 1, 2021

2. Unable to hide file extensions

Hi Tom,

I realize the inconvenience that you are facing in hiding file extensions and will certainly help you.

This issue might have occurred if the files/folders are corrupted.

I suggest you to follow the methods below check if it helps:

Method 1: Resetting Windows Explorer.

• Open Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Delete keys.

• Click on More details.

• On the Processes tab, scroll down to
      Windows Explorer
      , right click on it and select Restart.
    Method 2: Run SFC scan on your PC to determine the presence of corrupted files or folder.

SFC scan is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. If a
    Windows Resource Protection (WRP) file is missing or is corrupted, Windows may not behave as expected. For example, some Windows functions may not work, or Windows may crash.

Perform SFC scan by following the steps from the link below:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Method 3: Run
    Microsoft Safety Scanner.

Download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner from the link below:

Microsoft Safety Scanner Download - Windows security

Disclaimer:
    Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

Kindly get back to us if you still face difficulties in hiding file extensions. We will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sudeep Aprameyan, Aug 1, 2021
  3. tvanm Win User
    Unable to hide file extensions

Original title: windows explorer

I cannot change to hide file extensions in folder options. When I select the radial button (hide file extensions for known file types) and click apply the file extensions remain visible. I clicked on restore defaults and got the same result.

Thanx

Tom

tvanm, Aug 1, 2021
  4. lacrumb Win User

File extensions, unable to hide

Unable to hide extension for known file types

Why hide file extensions?

Where do you want to hide from?

lacrumb, Aug 1, 2021
Thema:

File extensions, unable to hide

1. File extensions, unable to hide - Similar Threads - File extensions unable

2. Can't hide file extensions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't hide file extensions: All of a sudden, the extensions on my files such as .docx and .pdf have started showing, and I'm unable to hide them. Unchecking "Show File Extensions" in File Explorer doesn't work, because it doesn't remain unchecked. Anyone know what's wrong and how I can fix this?...
  3. Can't hide file extensions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't hide file extensions: All of a sudden, the extensions on my files such as .docx and .pdf have started showing, and I'm unable to hide them. Unchecking "Show File Extensions" in File Explorer doesn't work, because it doesn't remain unchecked. Anyone know what's wrong and how I can fix this?...
  4. Hide files that have the same file name but lower extension names?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hide files that have the same file name but lower extension names?: Hello, I'm trying to figure out a way to easily upload CAD parts, but I'm running into an issue.The files are Creo Parametric files, and the way that Creo saves files is that it adds an extension starting at .1 and iterating by 1 each time it is saved, which is great because...
  5. Hiding Edge Extension

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hiding Edge Extension: Is there a way to hide an chrome extension (in Microsoft Edge) and view it? I am able to remove it from the bar, but not seem to find where it went. Any idea how to hide it but still find it? submitted by /u/epickaito27 [link] [comments]...
  6. Unable to hide my "hidden files"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to hide my "hidden files": When I am using the file explorer, hidden files/folders are shown as lightly colored files/folders, which means they are hidden. In order to make them not show while I use the file explorer, I have to go to the view settings are change the "show hidden files/folders" setting...
  7. Chrome 76 hides extensions

in Browsers and Email
    Chrome 76 hides extensions: When I had Chorme 75 (64-bit) I could see all the extensions icons I set to see after the address field. ▼ [img] I updated to 76.0.3809.87 (64-bit) a few days ago and since then I can't see them. Now the only thing I see there is the Extensions button. ▼ [img] When I...
  8. Cannot hide file extensions - Bitdefender

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot hide file extensions - Bitdefender: I installed Bitdefender Total Security 2019 yesterday and just realized today that the file extensions are showing. When I try to hide the extensions, it doesn't work. I realize that Bitdefender is the culprit but is there any way to get around this without uninstalling it?...
  9. Hide extensions for known file types unchecked

in Windows 10 Support
    Hide extensions for known file types unchecked: Hide extensions for known file types unchecked. I still can't see .exe extension all the others are ok. This just now happened; the .exe extensions where showing before... I must have changed something by mistake. Can anybody help me I get them back? Don Cole...
  10. Hide or Show File Name Extensions in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hide or Show File Name Extensions in Windows 10: How to: Hide or Show File Name Extensions in Windows 10 How to Hide or Show File Name Extensions in Windows 10 A file name extension is a set of characters added to the end of a file name that determine which app should open it. By default, File Explorer hides file name...