Windows 10: File Explorer group-by in Windows 11

Discus and support File Explorer group-by in Windows 11 in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I cannot change the group-by view settings in File Explorer. The current setting is to group by date, with newest files grouped first. I want no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Will Evans1, Oct 23, 2022.

1. File Explorer group-by in Windows 11

I cannot change the group-by view settings in File Explorer. The current setting is to group by date, with newest files grouped first. I want no grouping, and sorted by file name. Other posts have told me to go to the Folder Options, click the View tab, and select "Apply to Folders." Not only does this not help, it actually resets my current folder to the prior settings.It boggles my mind that such a basic thing is an issue.

:)

Will Evans1, Oct 23, 2022
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 23, 2022
  3. internet explorer 11 taskbar not grouping and invisible IE HELP!

Hi john,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

I suggest you to reset Explorer.exe and check if it helps. You may follow the steps below.

• Right click on the taskbar and select task manager.

• In the process Right click on windows explorer and end the task

• Restart the task by clicking on the file and select new task

• Type Explorer.exe and press enter.

If issue still persists, I suggest you to reset Internet Explorer and verify the result.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/reset-ie-settings#ie=ie-11

Disclaimer: Please note that resetting Internet Explorer Settings will reset all user-defined settings including those set by installed extensions, toolbars and other add-ons to IE Defaults. This includes all Security,
    Privacy and Zone settings. Also this will clear browsing history, delete all temporary Internet Files, cookies, form data and especially all stored passwords.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Anju Thekkethil, Oct 23, 2022
  4. Chris R1 Win User

File Explorer group-by in Windows 11

How to Restore Feature in "Group By" Option in File Explorer - Windows 11

Hi,

Windows 11 just recently got an update, and since the update the File Explorer no longer shows the number of files in parentheses in the headers of each group (Group By Type option under List view in File Explorer):

File Explorer group-by in Windows 11 31ce32be-98b5-4de9-ad11-a9151a9a4ee6?upload=true.png

Used to look like this showing the number of files that fall under each group as shown below (online example grouping by name). The type of grouping is independent of this feature, the number of files always showed up in parentheses next to the name of each group.

File Explorer group-by in Windows 11 483cecb5-917d-4114-a989-4ea97f77cf2b?upload=true.png

Chris R1, Oct 23, 2022
Thema:

File Explorer group-by in Windows 11

1. File Explorer group-by in Windows 11 - Similar Threads - File Explorer group

2. No Grouping In Home Tab In File Explorer [Windows 11]

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No Grouping In Home Tab In File Explorer [Windows 11]: Since upgrading to Windows 11 22H2, I have observed that the recent files, quick access files, and MS Office files are not being grouped under their respective categories as intended. {below Image]The options Group by and Sort are also greyed out. [Below Image]EditionWindows...
  3. No Grouping In Home Tab In File Explorer [Windows 11]

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Grouping In Home Tab In File Explorer [Windows 11]: Since upgrading to Windows 11 22H2, I have observed that the recent files, quick access files, and MS Office files are not being grouped under their respective categories as intended. {below Image]The options Group by and Sort are also greyed out. [Below Image]EditionWindows...
  4. Windows 11 File Explorer Home Icon Group Headings missing

Windows 11 File Explorer Home Icon Group Headings missing: My Windows 11 Pro File Explorer Home icon does not display the group headings Quick access, Favorites or Recent. When right clicking the folder Groups is not available on any computer. These groups appear on every other Windows 11, Home or Pro computer I have looked at. I...
  5. File Explorer group-by in Windows 11

File Explorer group-by in Windows 11: I cannot change the group-by view settings in File Explorer. The current setting is to group by date, with newest files grouped first. I want no grouping, and sorted by file name. Other posts have told me to go to the Folder Options, click the View tab, and select "Apply to...
  6. How to Restore Feature in "Group By" Option in File Explorer - Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Restore Feature in "Group By" Option in File Explorer - Windows 11: Hi,Windows 11 just recently got an update, and since the update the File Explorer no longer shows the number of files in parentheses in the headers of each group Group By Type option under List view in File Explorer:Used to look like this showing the number of files that fall...
  7. How to Restore Feature in "Group By" Option in File Explorer - Windows 11

How to Restore Feature in "Group By" Option in File Explorer - Windows 11: Hi,Windows 11 just recently got an update, and since the update the File Explorer no longer shows the number of files in parentheses in the headers of each group Group By Type option under List view in File Explorer:Used to look like this showing the number of files that fall...
  8. File Explorer Grouping

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Grouping: I recently upgraded to 22H2. i want my folders to look like this instead it keeps resetting to thisI've tried doing this but it keeps resetting to defaults https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-grouping/07eb0397-6b70-4ab2-a9a8-6b2352cf94dd
  9. File Explorer Grouping

File Explorer Grouping: I recently upgraded to 22H2. i want my folders to look like this instead it keeps resetting to thisI've tried doing this but it keeps resetting to defaults https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-grouping/07eb0397-6b70-4ab2-a9a8-6b2352cf94dd
  10. Group By in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Group By in File Explorer: Hello, Each time I open "Downloads" folder in file explorer, its "Grouped By". Have to select "None" to view it normally. Next time its again "Grouped By". How do I get rid of this and set it to be always as "None". Answers will be appreciated. Thanks Window 10 pro x 64,...