Windows 10: File Download - Security Warning when opening links from Windows 10 Taskbar

Discus and support File Download - Security Warning when opening links from Windows 10 Taskbar in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi all,Since the last Windows 10 update, I am getting "File Download - Security Warning" every time I try to open a link from the links taskbar that I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Trish_R, May 17, 2024.

1. Trish_R Win User

File Download - Security Warning when opening links from Windows 10 Taskbar

Hi all,Since the last Windows 10 update, I am getting "File Download - Security Warning" every time I try to open a link from the links taskbar that I have at the bottom of my Windows 10 desktop. How do I disable this? In easy steps please - I am not super techie!Thanks very much!

:)

Trish_R, May 17, 2024
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 17, 2024
  3. Tryx3 Win User
    Windows 10 Links Toolbar...File Download Security Warning

There are several Windows 10 questions on this topic so here are their links so we can all see if there is progress on any of them [I'm posting this message in all the threads]:-

A warning popup when opening any .url file in “Favorites”. Why?

Bookmarks a Security Warning now?

Windows 10 Links Toolbar...File Download Security Warning [this one]

File Download security warning

Internet Shortcut (.url) now (mis)identified as Unknown
    File Type

How to disable alert [Windows 7]

[We could normally ask a moderator to merge them into a single thread for us but, having read each thread, I think that a combined thread would be too convoluted so we are better off as we are]

Just for info, I do not have any of the updates that are currently being seen [in the threads] as the potential sources of this problem so the fault seems to lie somewhere else. I first saw the fault today on my Windows 10 Home x64 & my Windows 10 Pro x86.
    I sometimes open urls from folders and sometimes from within IE so I cannot be sure just when my computers were afflicted.

One user has reported that urls opened from the Desktop do not exhibit the security warning. Mine play up wherever they are.

I do have a recent system image [11 September 2016] but I am going to hold off restoring that until we find a common factor so that my image restoration can be of mutual benefit by testing that common factor. Hopefully.

The workaround you have applied will need to be repeated for any new urls you make. I can confirm that the workaround can be applied to entire drives. I ran it in the root of both my data drives and their existing urls behave themselves now [but new ones
    do not].

What a palaver,

Denis

Tryx3, May 17, 2024
  4. File Download - Security Warning when opening links from Windows 10 Taskbar

How to disable this security message "Open file security warning"

Please try this command:

• ICACLS "%userprofile%\favorites\links" /SETINTEGRITYLEVEL M

as in Method 1 of this article - [Fix] Favorites File Download Security Warning

Ramesh Srinivasan, May 17, 2024
Thema:

File Download - Security Warning when opening links from Windows 10 Taskbar

1. File Download - Security Warning when opening links from Windows 10 Taskbar - Similar Threads - File Download Security

2. How do I disable "file download security" warning when opening an Application

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I disable "file download security" warning when opening an Application: I keep getting a "file download" security popup whenever I open the sims or any other application through Steam. This is super annoying, and I already went and turned off the popupssupposedly through Internet options. I do have Webroot installed, though I have completely...
  3. How do I disable "file download security" warning when opening an Application

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I disable "file download security" warning when opening an Application: I keep getting a "file download" security popup whenever I open the sims or any other application through Steam. This is super annoying, and I already went and turned off the popupssupposedly through Internet options. I do have Webroot installed, though I have completely...
  4. File Download - Security Warning when opening links from Windows 10 Taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Download - Security Warning when opening links from Windows 10 Taskbar: Hi all,Since the last Windows 10 update, I am getting "File Download - Security Warning" every time I try to open a link from the links taskbar that I have at the bottom of my Windows 10 desktop. How do I disable this? In easy steps please - I am not super techie!Thanks very...
  5. File Download - Security Warning when opening links from Windows 10 Taskbar

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    File Download - Security Warning when opening links from Windows 10 Taskbar: Hi all,Since the last Windows 10 update, I am getting "File Download - Security Warning" every time I try to open a link from the links taskbar that I have at the bottom of my Windows 10 desktop. How do I disable this? In easy steps please - I am not super techie!Thanks very...
  6. File Download - Security Warning

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Download - Security Warning: I have several Chromes shortcuts saved in File Explorer to access financial reporting. on or around February 14, 2024, I started getting File Download - Security Warning. Does anyone know if this was caused by an update?...
  7. File Download - Security Warning

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Download - Security Warning: I have several Chromes shortcuts saved in File Explorer to access financial reporting. on or around February 14, 2024, I started getting File Download - Security Warning. Does anyone know if this was caused by an update?...
  8. File Download - Security Warning

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. How to ENABLE Open File security warning on Windows 10

How to ENABLE Open File security warning on Windows 10: I am a new user from Windows 7 and I found there a nice features (Open File - Security Warning Message) is missing on my Windows 10 version 1803. Note: I want to ENABLE it not disable it. I have tried to run inetcpl.cpl and reset to default, also tried to select Prompt...
  10. Security warning when opening internet link shortcuts.

Security warning when opening internet link shortcuts.: I installed a browser extension that allows me to save the url of the page I am viewing as a shortcut file on my computer in two clicks. It's very handy - or so I thought. Whenever I double-click the resulting shortcut on my computer, I get the following warning: [img]...