Windows 10: Extracting hardware drivers from an .exe installer package

Discus and support Extracting hardware drivers from an .exe installer package in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Windows 10 Home 21H2 19044.1526, 64-bitHello:I want to update the drivers for my Nvidia graphics card. Nvidia installs a lot of extra stuff that I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by franklin-xy, Feb 22, 2022.

1. Extracting hardware drivers from an .exe installer package

Windows 10 Home 21H2 19044.1526, 64-bitHello:I want to update the drivers for my Nvidia graphics card. Nvidia installs a lot of extra stuff that I don't want or need, so I want just the drivers. I followed instructions in a tutorial https://www.ghacks.net/2017/06/30/install-only-the-driver-for-nvidia-graphics-cards/ to update from Device Manager, loading just drivers from files/folders extracted from the .exe driver release package. That is supposed to get just the drivers and not the other apps, tasks, dlls, etc. that running the package's setup.exe would install.However, it didn't work

:)

franklin-xy, Feb 22, 2022
  2. more123 Win User

HP Drivers won't install

Well the drivers that do actually successfully install extract to this folder. The others don't even extract. I am thinking it's an extraction issue so I will try the 7-zip software like another user suggested. Will keep you guys updated.

more123, Feb 22, 2022
  3. Relevance of driver installation package files?

As the years went by and you no longer had to manually update video card drivers via adding an .inf file in Windows, driver packages have a self extraction > installation method.

With Nvidia, you extract the files somewhere and then run the setup. I've always gone back after installation, and removed those extracted files.

It hasn't ever seemed to be a problem, yet it got me curious. Are those supposed to stay on your harddisk or are they strictly for the installation only?

newconroer, Feb 22, 2022
  4. Kari Win User

Extracting hardware drivers from an .exe installer package

Extracting drivers from exe that doesn't have cmd extract switch

I would just export the drivers from your reference machine, if that has the same board than machines onto the image will be deployed. It's then an easy task to inject those drivers to deployment image. See tutorial: DISM - Add or Remove Drivers on an Offline Image | Windows 10 Tutorials

This...

Extracting hardware drivers from an .exe installer package [​IMG]

… results this:

Extracting hardware drivers from an .exe installer package [​IMG]

Thema:

Extracting hardware drivers from an .exe installer package

1. Extracting hardware drivers from an .exe installer package - Similar Threads - Extracting hardware drivers

2. There is not enough disk space to extract this package

in Windows 10 Gaming
    There is not enough disk space to extract this package: My Windows 11 PC has one 500 GB SSD hard drive C, with 316 GB free space, as shown in Picture 1 attached. When I try to upgrade HCL Notes R12 to R14 on this machine, by selecting either installation file location i.e., a temporary location or a specified one as seen in...
  3. There is not enough disk space to extract this package

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    There is not enough disk space to extract this package: My Windows 11 PC has one 500 GB SSD hard drive C, with 316 GB free space, as shown in Picture 1 attached. When I try to upgrade HCL Notes R12 to R14 on this machine, by selecting either installation file location i.e., a temporary location or a specified one as seen in...
  4. Extracting hardware drivers from an .exe installer package

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Extracting hardware drivers from an .exe installer package: Windows 10 Home 21H2 19044.1526, 64-bitHello:I want to update the drivers for my Nvidia graphics card. Nvidia installs a lot of extra stuff that I don't want or need, so I want just the drivers. I followed instructions in a tutorial...
  5. Extracting hardware drivers from an .exe installer package

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Extracting hardware drivers from an .exe installer package: Windows 10 Home 21H2 19044.1526, 64-bitHello:I want to update the drivers for my Nvidia graphics card. Nvidia installs a lot of extra stuff that I don't want or need, so I want just the drivers. I followed instructions in a tutorial...
  6. Install .exe app with Provision package

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install .exe app with Provision package: Hi,Has anyone had success using provisioning package to install .exe application before? It seems to work with .msi apps but never or so with .exe. Any suggestion would help!!Thank you so much, Alan...
  7. Problem with self-extracting .exe files and program installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem with self-extracting .exe files and program installation: After resetting my PC I have encountered some problems which do not allow me to install several programs: I am not able to install my Brother printers' drivers - installation ends with a message "Failed to decompress the archive". A similar message appears when I tried to...
  8. exe. files and installation packages cannot be

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    exe. files and installation packages cannot be: greetings dear community, two days ago, I got myself a new laptop for gaming. this is not a brand new laptop, but a second hand one like new. so later I tried to install bitdefender total security on it. it would download fully, but everytime it tries to decompress the...
  9. Extracting drivers from exe that doesn't have cmd extract switch

Extracting drivers from exe that doesn't have cmd extract switch: I am in the process of building custom images for deployment. Part of that of course is to include the required drivers. Usually I would extract the needed .inf files from the executable for whatever I was needing, i.e. LAN, Chipset, Graphics, etc, from cmd with the...
  10. Extract Epson driver from Windows 7 install dvd

Extract Epson driver from Windows 7 install dvd: The last known drivers for my Epson printer were installed as part of Windows 7 OS, and were never available from Epson. I'd like to extract these generic drivers from the Windows 7 install dvd for use with Windows 10 OS. I've seen how this could be done from a Vista disk for...