Windows 10: External Samsung SSD NTFS drive keep disconnecting from Windows 10 but not Mac OS

Discus and support External Samsung SSD NTFS drive keep disconnecting from Windows 10 but not Mac OS in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I upgraded my windows 10 laptop SSD from 512 GB to 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus 18 months ago. A week ago, my laptop stop booting up with blue screen and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by yzhou2004, Apr 19, 2023.

1. yzhou2004 Win User

External Samsung SSD NTFS drive keep disconnecting from Windows 10 but not Mac OS

I upgraded my windows 10 laptop SSD from 512 GB to 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus 18 months ago. A week ago, my laptop stop booting up with blue screen and 'Registry' error. Luckily, I kept old 512 GB SSD spare when I cloned and upgraded. I swapped it back in and the laptop is working fine.Now I am trying to fix 1 TB drive by putting it into an USB C enclosure and plugged in my laptop. However, it does not stay connected. When I plugged it in, Windows reluctantly recognized it slowly. But when I start exploring the folders and copied out folders, it got disconnected. here are what I've tried withou

:)

yzhou2004, Apr 19, 2023

2. Is there can a external ssd drive be used as the main OS drive?

Hi Robert,

We don't recommend using an external SSD as the main OS drive. You can use an external SSD as the main OS drive, but you need to configure the BIOS of your computer for it to boot the OS from the external SSD. We suggest contacting your computer manufacturer
    for assistance on configuring the BIOS of your computer.

Let us know if you need anything else. We're here to help.

Martin Bar, Apr 19, 2023
  3. skollie14 Win User
    External SSD drive is stopped by Windows 10 and randomly disconnects

I have the same issue with my Samsung SSD T1 512gb drive. It worked perfectly before the anniversary update on my Surface Pro 4 but after the update, it is not seen in Explorer. I can see it in Device Manager and the Samsung Magician. The SSD still works
    with my desktop where I reversed the anniversary upgrade and Windows 7 computer.

I made a tech support appointment at the Microsoft Flag Ship Store on NYC's 5th Ave and basically wasted an hour of my time. The person who tried to help me knew less than I did and suggested that my problem is the exFat formatting of the drive and that
    I should reformat the drive to NTFS and then, miraculously, it will be seen by the Windows 10 Anniversary update. I did point out that I had a 200gb micro SD installed and that it was exFat formatted and it worked perfectly on my machine so her logic didn't
    hold water. Bottom line - the visit was a waste of time and I am back to square one.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

skollie14, Apr 19, 2023
  4. External Samsung SSD NTFS drive keep disconnecting from Windows 10 but not Mac OS

Samsung SSD External Drive not Recognised

Hi,
    I'm having issues with Windows 10 recognising my Samsung SSD T7 External SSD.

My Linux PC and Android device are both able to recognise it. I have tried repartitioning on my linux machine with Fat32 and NTFS, but to no avail.

Windows 10 version: 21H2

The device is not visible in Disk Management or File Explorer, but is visible in Bluetooth & other devices >> Other Devices as "PSSD T7" but reads "Driver Error"

When I connect the SSD, a new storage controller "USB Attached SCSI (UAS) Mass storage Device" appears in Device Manager, but has a warning sign. In properties >> General >> Device status it reads:

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38)

The driver could not be loaded because a previous version of the driver is still in memory. "

I have updated USB drivers and the storage controller driver mentioned above. I have also updates Samsung's portable SSD software. The application does not recognise the device.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

SamPorter5, Apr 19, 2023
Thema:

External Samsung SSD NTFS drive keep disconnecting from Windows 10 but not Mac OS

1. External Samsung SSD NTFS drive keep disconnecting from Windows 10 but not Mac OS - Similar Threads - External Samsung SSD

2. Unformattable / Windows OS -> external SSD drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unformattable / Windows OS -> external SSD drive: Hello everyone,I have a rather annoying problem: I recently installed Windows on an old computer to see how well it works as a media PC. Now I wanted to turn this SSD back into an external data drive, but I can't manage to format the hard drive.Already tried:- Right click...
  3. Unformattable / Windows OS -> external SSD drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unformattable / Windows OS -> external SSD drive: Hello everyone,I have a rather annoying problem: I recently installed Windows on an old computer to see how well it works as a media PC. Now I wanted to turn this SSD back into an external data drive, but I can't manage to format the hard drive.Already tried:- Right click...
  4. Unformatable / Windows OS -> external SSD drive

Unformatable / Windows OS -> external SSD drive: Hello everyone,I have a rather annoying problem: I recently installed Windows on an old computer to see how well it works as a media PC. Now I wanted to turn this SSD back into an external data drive, but I can't manage to format the hard drive.Already tried:- Right click...
  5. External Samsung SSD NTFS drive keep disconnecting from Windows 10 but not Mac OS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Samsung SSD NTFS drive keep disconnecting from Windows 10 but not Mac OS: I upgraded my windows 10 laptop SSD from 512 GB to 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus 18 months ago. A week ago, my laptop stop booting up with blue screen and 'Registry' error. Luckily, I kept old 512 GB SSD spare when I cloned and upgraded. I swapped it back in and the laptop is...
  6. External Samsung SSD NTFS drive keep disconnecting from Windows 10 but not Mac OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Samsung SSD NTFS drive keep disconnecting from Windows 10 but not Mac OS: I upgraded my windows 10 laptop SSD from 512 GB to 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus 18 months ago. A week ago, my laptop stop booting up with blue screen and 'Registry' error. Luckily, I kept old 512 GB SSD spare when I cloned and upgraded. I swapped it back in and the laptop is...
  7. Samsung SSD External Drive not Recognised

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Samsung SSD External Drive not Recognised: Hi,I'm having issues with Windows 10 recognising my Samsung SSD T7 External SSD.My Linux PC and Android device are both able to recognise it. I have tried repartitioning on my linux machine with Fat32 and NTFS, but to no avail. Windows 10 version: 21H2The device is not...
  8. Samsung SSD External Drive not Recognised

Samsung SSD External Drive not Recognised: Hi,I'm having issues with Windows 10 recognising my Samsung SSD T7 External SSD.My Linux PC and Android device are both able to recognise it. I have tried repartitioning on my linux machine with Fat32 and NTFS, but to no avail. Windows 10 version: 21H2The device is not...
  9. Samsung SSD External Drive not Recognised

10. external ssd keeps disconnecting

external ssd keeps disconnecting: I have an EVOO EVC 156-2 running Windows 10. The computer keeps disconnecting my LACIE 2TB ssd. I have turned off the power off features for USB devices and in the legacy control. Any other ideas?...