Windows 10: External HDD keeps disconnecting while re-imaging my PC

Discus and support External HDD keeps disconnecting while re-imaging my PC in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I first noticed the problem a while back, while checking it for corruptions. The HDD would disconnect itself every time it enters phase 2 of checking,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by NullAdmin, Apr 27, 2022.

1. NullAdmin Win User

External HDD keeps disconnecting while re-imaging my PC

I first noticed the problem a while back, while checking it for corruptions. The HDD would disconnect itself every time it enters phase 2 of checking, after trying to fix the error in the file $I30 I can’t remember exactly, so I formatted the entire drive, created a system image, and then decided to recover from it today.It goes smoothly during the first half or the process, but after it is about 55% completed, it disconnects itself and threw an error. I retried multiple times, without success. Now my C: drive is unusable RAW file system, I don’t have any recovery tools, what can I do now?

:)

NullAdmin, Apr 27, 2022
  2. dermy Win User

External HDDs

Hi i had a seagate freeagent (external) which stopped working so i bought another enclosure and the hdd kept disconnecting/reconnecting in windows 8.1, so i boht another enclosure and also the same thing. Iv tried a different hdd and all hdds work perfectly when plugged directly into sata ports on the board, are there any other steps i can try or do you think iv just been unlucky with enclosures?

dermy, Apr 27, 2022
  3. morgleman Win User
    Systems Image on External HDD not seen by PC

I have created a systems image on an external HDD using the old Windows 7 Backup/ Restore Setting which still exists in Windows 10.

However when trying to restore the image from the PC itself, the restore settings cannot find the WindowsSystemsImage Folder on the external drive

I had to use a bootable system recovery disk in order to find the folder on the USB drive and then restore the image

I used to be able to see the external image on the laptop usb

What's changed?

morgleman, Apr 27, 2022
  4. Ammaarqv Win User

OS on new SSD, keep existing data on HDD and use as external drive

I want to use a new SSD to run my OS on my PC. I have a lot of data on my HDD and dont want it on the SSD but do want to keep it.

I have read that you shouldn't use an external drive that has Windows installed so how would i go about doing what I need?

I.e. get Windows onto the SSD, replace HDD with SSD, use HDD as external drive, and keep data from HDD on HDD.

Thanks!

(P.s. any guides or instructions to any steps would be great but if not then no issue)

Ammaarqv, Apr 27, 2022
Thema:

1. External HDD keeps disconnecting while re-imaging my PC - Similar Threads - External HDD keeps

2. External HDD keeps disconnecting randomly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External HDD keeps disconnecting randomly: Out of no where, my HDD has started disconnecting itself a few minutes after it is plugged and requires me to manually turn the external drive on and off if I want to use it again.What i've triedRestarting my PCNot using the HDD under stressful conditions and using better...
  3. External HDD keeps disconnecting randomly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External HDD keeps disconnecting randomly: Out of no where, my HDD has started disconnecting itself a few minutes after it is plugged and requires me to manually turn the external drive on and off if I want to use it again.What i've triedRestarting my PCNot using the HDD under stressful conditions and using better...
  4. External HDD keeps disconnecting randomly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. External HDD keeps disconnecting while re-imaging my PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External HDD keeps disconnecting while re-imaging my PC: I first noticed the problem a while back, while checking it for corruptions. The HDD would disconnect itself every time it enters phase 2 of checking, after trying to fix the error in the file $I30 I can’t remember exactly, so I formatted the entire drive, created a system...
  6. External HDD keeps disconnecting while re-imaging my PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    External HDD keeps disconnecting while re-imaging my PC: I first noticed the problem a while back, while checking it for corruptions. The HDD would disconnect itself every time it enters phase 2 of checking, after trying to fix the error in the file $I30 I can’t remember exactly, so I formatted the entire drive, created a system...
  7. Systems Image on External HDD not seen by PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Systems Image on External HDD not seen by PC: I have created a systems image on an external HDD using the old Windows 7 Backup/ Restore Setting which still exists in Windows 10. However when trying to restore the image from the PC itself, the restore settings cannot find the WindowsSystemsImage Folder on the external...
  8. My External HDD got disconnected while decrypting bitlocker.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My External HDD got disconnected while decrypting bitlocker.: So I had tried to encrypt my drive with bitlocker and its was a while ago but then I tried to decrypt it as It was taking a long time and the drive got disconnected and the decryption was disrupted and then it took time to load up the password page and It said the correct...
  9. External USB HDD not disconnecting properly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External USB HDD not disconnecting properly: In W10.1607 x86 when I eject a External USB HDD, it does not Power Down, I mean the Eject Procedure is not being totally finished. The Safe to Eject message appears but the light on HDD stays on and if I pull it out I can listen the Motor spinning down. That is it not good,...
  10. Trouble Creating Image of my PC Using External HDD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Trouble Creating Image of my PC Using External HDD: I'm trying to create an image, for backup purposes, of my Toshiba laptop, W10 OS, using the built in backup utility. I'm using a 1 TB external hard drive. When I try to create the image onto the external drive the 'proceed' button in the dialogue box is greyed out and...