Windows 10: explorer.exe constantly using 25% of cpu

Discus and support explorer.exe constantly using 25% of cpu in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; all of a sudden my cpu fans started ramping up after some time i noticed that explorer.exe is constantly using 25% of my cpu even on idle with nothing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by onyxxz, Feb 22, 2022.

1. onyxxz Win User

explorer.exe constantly using 25% of cpu

all of a sudden my cpu fans started ramping up after some time i noticed that explorer.exe is constantly using 25% of my cpu even on idle with nothing open,i did also notice that is automatically closes it self and goes back to normal when i open task manger so i have to use a third party monitor wise system monitor to check when it runs i have run multiple anti virus and malware checks and found nothing i am on the latest windows 10

:)

onyxxz, Feb 22, 2022
  2. chjejones Win User

CPU constantly at 100%

Being as stubborn as I am for Windows 7, I waited until the last possible second to upgrade to Windows 10. Now that I've upgraded, my CPU is constantly at or near 100% mainly by two processes listed as System and System Interrupts, both running 20-30% each. I looked around and most people say these shouldn't be more than 5-10%.

Before you start suggesting the obvious like checking for updates, flashing BIOS, upgrading drivers, editing Registry, using Process Explorer, going into device manager, checking background apps, using the built in troubleshooters, formatting, erasing previous Win installations, etc. Let me just say, that I've tried all of those and none of them seemed to work. I can get the CPU down to about 50-60% but that still seems like quite a lot for a freshly booted up PC just sitting on standby.

At this point, I'm looking for any suggestions at all. My best guess is that maybe my laptops just too old? I've had it for close to 5-6 years or so and I never replaced any of the parts, so it may just be that it's just getting harder to run modern OS? I don't know. If there's any other options, I'd love to hear them before I start looking into replacements.

chjejones, Feb 22, 2022
  3. redhonker Win User
    Explorer use 25% CPU and freeze up PC

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

16GB RAM, 8 core CPU

Task manager shows Explorer can use up to 25% CPU, not matter whether I have an Explorer window opens or not. When it spikes up, the PC freeze and not responsive to user interaction. Audio play may continue but video will be jumpy (it probably plays 1
    frame per second).

How can I troubleshoot?

Thanks

redhonker, Feb 22, 2022
  4. Cato Win User

CPU constantly at 100%, but in Process Explorer usage is around 5%

Task Manager shows CPU usage constantly at 100%, but Process Explorer shows CPU usage at about 5%. I've tried the solution presented in CPU Constantly at 100% In Task Manager, But Not in Process Explorer, but it did not work for me. When I reboot the PC into Safe Mode, though, everything is OK.

How can I resolve the discrepancy?

Thema:

1. explorer.exe constantly using 25% of cpu - Similar Threads - explorer exe constantly

2. Microsoft SharePoint.exe is constantly taking 15-25 % CPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft SharePoint.exe is constantly taking 15-25 % CPU: Ive seen that a process/applicaton named Microsoft SharePoint.exe is constantly taking around15-25% CPU at all time. It seems to be related to OneDrive. I hace verifed that I have no SharePoint List etc synced but this process still starts and runs. Its located in:C:\Users\My...
  3. Microsoft SharePoint.exe is constantly taking 15-25 % CPU

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft SharePoint.exe is constantly taking 15-25 % CPU: Ive seen that a process/applicaton named Microsoft SharePoint.exe is constantly taking around15-25% CPU at all time. It seems to be related to OneDrive. I hace verifed that I have no SharePoint List etc synced but this process still starts and runs. Its located in:C:\Users\My...
  4. explorer.exe constantly uses CPU

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    explorer.exe constantly uses CPU: explorer.exe constantly uses CPU, once restarted explorer it recover for a while but after few time it happens again.process explorer thread: shcore.dll!ordinal172+0x100 eats CPU constantly and the I/O other is unusualchkdsk performed but nothing changedsorry for bad english,...
  5. explorer.exe constantly uses CPU

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    explorer.exe constantly uses CPU: explorer.exe constantly uses CPU, once restarted explorer it recover for a while but after few time it happens again.process explorer thread: shcore.dll!ordinal172+0x100 eats CPU constantly and the I/O other is unusualchkdsk performed but nothing changedsorry for bad english,...
  6. explorer.exe constantly using 25% of cpu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    explorer.exe constantly using 25% of cpu: all of a sudden my cpu fans started ramping up after some time i noticed that explorer.exe is constantly using 25% of my cpu even on idle with nothing open,i did also notice that is automatically closes it self and goes back to normal when i open task manger so i have to use...
  7. explorer.exe constantly using 25% of cpu

explorer.exe constantly using 25% of cpu: all of a sudden my cpu fans started ramping up after some time i noticed that explorer.exe is constantly using 25% of my cpu even on idle with nothing open,i did also notice that is automatically closes it self and goes back to normal when i open task manger so i have to use...
  8. OneDrive Co-Authoring Executable constantly using 25% CPU

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    OneDrive Co-Authoring Executable constantly using 25% CPU: I've been chasing this for about 6 weeks with no luck. NUC8i5 is the computer and was running W10 Pro 1909 until this week when I jumped to 20H2. The following process is using a constant 25% of CPU. A restart will stop it for 1-4 hours before it decides it wants to run...
  9. Explorer use 25% CPU and freeze up PC

Explorer use 25% CPU and freeze up PC: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 16GB RAM, 8 core CPU Task manager shows Explorer can use up to 25% CPU, not matter whether I have an Explorer window opens or not. When it spikes up, the PC freeze and not responsive to user interaction. Audio play may continue but video will be...
  10. "System and Compressed Memory" constant 20-25% CPU usage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    "System and Compressed Memory" constant 20-25% CPU usage: This is a problem that has been going on for about a week now and I've tried A LOT of solutions. This started when I wanted to play Battlefield 1 beta and it said I needed to update my driver, my computer had 0 issues prior to this after the install system and compressed...