Windows 10: enable win32 long paths but not work

Discus and support enable win32 long paths but not work in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Dear support TeamI have changed the following two settings in order to be able to open long-path files with more than 260 characters in file explorer,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Helpdesk Support Centre, Jul 17, 2023.

1. enable win32 long paths but not work

Dear support TeamI have changed the following two settings in order to be able to open long-path files with more than 260 characters in file explorer, but I still can’t open long-path files even after restarting the computer after the changes. Please help me find out why. 1. opening the Registry Editor regedit.exe and navigating to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem. Look for the value "LongPathsEnabled" and make sure it is set to 2. Open the Group Policy Editor gpedit.msc and navigate to Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Te

:)

Helpdesk Support Centre, Jul 17, 2023
  2. Win User

GPO: enable win32 long paths

I saw that the Windows 10 Anniversary Update was supposed to address the limitation of long file paths and names. According to what I found, the new GPO entry of "enable NTFS long paths" was supposed to be added, but I didn't see it. Upon further research,
    I did find the "enable win32 long paths" option one level up in the GPO.

Question: Was this supposed to address the problem? After I enabled it, rebooted the computer and confirmed that the setting was still enabled, I tried to copy a file (via File Explorer) from a local hard drive (G:\*.*) to a server share (\\SERVER\SHARE),
    but it failed for the same old reason that the pathname was too long. Does this only work locally, or does it only work with specific capabilities, like PowerShell?

3. Enable Win32 long paths GPO not working

For work I frequently receive zip archives from other companies that contain deep trees of folders and documents. If I expand them into my own folder structure I often hit the 260 character path length limit. I'm dealing with large numbers of files and folders
    and it is extremely time-consuming too reorganize and shorten names.

Since the Anniversary Update there is a group policy setting "Enable Win32 long paths" and I have enabled that. But it doesn't seem to work. I still get the filename or path too long errors when copying or creating folders in Windows Explorer that cross
    the 260 limit. Are there other factors that influence this? I know the OneDrive synchronization app that is part of Office 365 als has problems with long paths, but it isn't working outside OneDrive and SharePoint folders either.

My system is Windows 10 Pro 64bit.

I don't think I had this limit in Windows 7, but I'm not 100% sure.

Willem Weetjewel, Jul 17, 2023
  4. enable win32 long paths but not work

Enable Win32 long paths GPO not working

Hmm, bad news I'm afraid. In this thread I see replies from
    apparently well-informed people claiming that even though Windows 10 is ready for long paths, Windows Explorer is not. It is suggested that a 3rd party fileviewer "One Commander" does support long paths.

Willem Weetjewel, Jul 17, 2023
Thema:

enable win32 long paths but not work

1. enable win32 long paths but not work - Similar Threads - enable win32 long

2. Windows 11 LongPathsEnabled and Enable Win32 long paths not working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 LongPathsEnabled and Enable Win32 long paths not working.: I can see this has been reported many times but I can't seem to find any resolution to the issue.I have set the LongPathEnabled to 1 in the Registry Editor and updated Enable Win32 long paths to Enabled in Local Group Policy Editor, and I am still not able to use a file path...
  3. Windows 11 LongPathsEnabled and Enable Win32 long paths not working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 LongPathsEnabled and Enable Win32 long paths not working.: I can see this has been reported many times but I can't seem to find any resolution to the issue.I have set the LongPathEnabled to 1 in the Registry Editor and updated Enable Win32 long paths to Enabled in Local Group Policy Editor, and I am still not able to use a file path...
  4. Long path enabled doesn’t work

Long path enabled doesn’t work: I’m on a windows 11 22H2 and I have a program DraftSight 2023 that during install tries to create a visual, basic directory but it fails and triggers, a long path error 1320, I’ve tried everything but I can’t get around it. I enabled it in group policies and in the registry,...
  5. enable win32 long paths but not work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    enable win32 long paths but not work: Dear support TeamI have changed the following two settings in order to be able to open long-path files with more than 260 characters in file explorer, but I still can’t open long-path files even after restarting the computer after the changes. Please help me find out why. 1....
  6. enable win32 long paths but not work

enable win32 long paths but not work: Dear support TeamI have changed the following two settings in order to be able to open long-path files with more than 260 characters in file explorer, but I still can’t open long-path files even after restarting the computer after the changes. Please help me find out why. 1....
  7. Long Path Enabled Does not Work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Long Path Enabled Does not Work: Dear Team, I want to enable long path in Windows 10. Because I created several subfolders and want to rename the PDF or other files within it exceeding 260 characters. I tried to troubleshoot by using recommendations from Microsoft like put script in PowerShare and...
  8. Long Path Enabled Does not Work

Long Path Enabled Does not Work: Dear Team, I want to enable long path in Windows 10. Because I created several subfolders and want to rename the PDF or other files within it exceeding 260 characters. I tried to troubleshoot by using recommendations from Microsoft like put script in PowerShare and...
  9. Long Path Enabled

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Long Path Enabled: Hi Team, We have been trying to increase the long path value as per the documents from Microsoft. We can create maximum of 20 sub folders beyond that we cannot go. So could you please help me in getting this sorted out. thanks. Sriram Krishnamoorthy...
  10. Enable or Disable Win32 Long Paths in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Win32 Long Paths in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Win32 Long Paths in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Win32 Long Paths in Windows 10 [img] Information by default, the maximum path length limit in Windows is 260 characters. A local path is structured in the following order: drive letter,...